Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam sound for a TID tug.  (Read 15489 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Re: Steam sound for a TID tug.
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 10:27:28 am »

Technobots no longer have the steam sound unit in stock so I have ordered the combi type (that includes the steam sound) so when it arrives I will fit it and see what steam sound it makes.

If it does not sound "right" then I can change the sound to diesel and fit it into a different model.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 10:58:17 am »

Hi zooma
This gent use to supply Technobots  with  sound units ,

http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/boats

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 08:55:18 pm »

Hi zooma
This gent use to supply Technobots  with  sound units ,

http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/boats

john

Thanks John,

I have just visited this site and he does indeed make for Technobots (and other retailers) but sells nothing directly.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 01:13:59 pm »

My Combo Engine Sound Unit Mk2 arrived form Technobots came this morning - great "next day" delivery - so now I can have a play with it.

Although disappointed that I could not just buy the less expensive 'steam only" unit, this one does have some advantages in that I can use it for other things as well in the future (perhaps) and it allows me to test all of the 9 different sound voices too.

I also splashed out an additional fiver and bought the bigger 10W 75mm loudspeaker (as recommended for larger models) at the same time because I have always known that the biggest size speaker should give the best sound quality (assuming similar speaker quality comparisons etc), and the fact that I did not have anything else suitable laying around at the time also influenced my decision.

This is quite a lump but the weight of the speaker did not put me off buying it as I like the idea of having 'working ballast" - although I have already added a fair bit of lead  to get the model to "sit" correctly on the waterline and I will make a wooden plate to mount it on and to act as a baffle to help get the best sound - and to secure it safely in the hull.

My thoughts have already drifted towards the ODIN that I am currently working on - maybe there is a suitable sound on this unit that will suit that tug as well................

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2017, 08:14:18 pm »

To hear what an actual steam engine sounds like (triple expansion in this case) look at this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhsIOGghtM
This is the Steam Tug Kerne and includes several engine room sections.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 08:26:11 pm »

Soooo quiet, just a little mechanical noise, so what does a steam tug sound like? <*<

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 10:41:27 pm »

Naaa, that's not right! They obviously have not got the right type of sound unit in that Tug!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 03:06:45 am »

Cheers I understood how they worked was just interested as to the thinking behind the design.
Would make a really interesting build project I think.

Since the HP works under "high" pressure steam, the piston valve presents far less drag on the valve gear than a slide valve in the same case.
The LP cylnder gerenerally works on very low pressure or a vaccuum so there is less pressure, and there fore drag, on the large flat sUrface (valve) pressed against a non moving surface, the port openings.. Hence less drag on the engine

John

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 05:37:01 am »

Thanks John that makes it clear  ;)

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 07:20:10 am »

Naaa, that's not right! They obviously have not got the right type of sound unit in that Tug!

:-)) :-)) %) %) %) {-) {-) {-) 👍👍👍👍👍👍

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 07:39:38 pm »

There is one sound for steam and the older diesel tugs that I have not come across yet, that is engine telegraph bells. Last boat I was on which had them where the MoD dog class tugs, lovely jingle and loud.
David

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 10:25:18 pm »

Ha not so nice if you are having a doze by the controls and some rotten sod rings the bells of saint Mary's on it, on the Kent I had a chair by the throttle and as head astern lever, and used to put my feet up for a while if we were on a good run down River and Just possibly had a little nod, she has a very loud telegraph down below.😂😂😇😇😇😇😇😇😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2017, 08:19:39 pm »

Hi Tug mad, yeah I know what you mean. When I was on the St Margaret's, the bells had been taken out so all you heard was the ratchets turning, that was because when we laid overnight on the cable end we had to use the engines gently to stop her yawing heavy on the cable ends which were only lashed with rope strands, as apart from the duty watch in the wheelhouse everyone else were sending up ZZZ's. 

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2017, 12:29:34 pm »

My Technobots steam sound has now been installed and does give an "interesting" steam sound.

I installed it in my model and took it to the Southport Club last Sunday and received a lot of positive comments - along with requests for details of the supplier from those that would also like to buy one!

As I was unable to buy the (out of stock) dedicated steam unit I had to buy the Combo unit that included the steam sound along with 8 other petrol/diesel sounds - all of which we had some fun "testing" pond side.

I have also used one of the diesel sounds in my Robbe ODIN and that really does sound good!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 12:34:46 pm »

All of the sounds on the Technobots Combo unit can be adjusted in several ways and one of the adjustments is to specify the number of cylinders the engine has.

Having read all of the comments in this thread I can see that the TID steam engines had two cylinders so I will adjust the unit to see what the two cylinder sound is like, and (hopefully) get a sound as realistic as it can be.............and adjust the volume - so that it is really quiet - as advised ! :-))

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2017, 05:55:34 pm »

To hear what an actual steam engine sounds like (triple expansion in this case) look at this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhsIOGghtM
This is the Steam Tug Kerne and includes several engine room sections.

Jim
What a cracking Video, many thanks for posting it.

Len.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2017, 06:35:29 pm »

how much was the sound combi  unit please.

Regards Howard.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2017, 07:23:33 pm »

how much was the sound combi  unit please.

Regards Howard.

£30.79 plus vat and postage.
HD speaker £5.70.
Connecting wire £0.36.

Good value for money IMHO.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2017, 10:00:16 am »

A fellow club member who took some time listening to my new sound unit felt that he had been "ripped-off" as he had recently bought a well known commercial sound system for his boat that not only cost  "four times more"  but also sounded like a cheap transistor radio with interference in comparison! 

The "engine sound" on his unit was just a "noise" and his description of the sound being more like the sound made by a cheap transistor radio with interference was quite accurate!

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
  • more wires than wood in my boats!
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 06:25:53 pm »

Thanks John,
I have just visited this site and he does indeed make for Technobots (and other retailers) but sells nothing directly.

Ah - the times, they are a changing!

I made my last delivery of sound units to Technobots a few weeks ago and I (as Forge Electronics) will be supplying sound units directly "real soon now" as Microsoft love to say! This marks an amicable agreement with Technobots who are rationalising their product range. Likewise, I decided to re-think my product range and in future will only be offering the Combo type (now the MK3) as it encompasses all three 'single voice' petrol, diesel and steam types  - with the benefit that additional petrol/diesel sounds and many more user adjustments are available for a small extra cost.
http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/boats/combo-mk3

The (brexit) fall in the pound/dollar has significantly increased the cost of the components and as a small (retirement hobby) cottage industry I now have to pay VAT on the components so the MK3 selling price (£30) is necessarily slightly higher than for the discontinued MK2 petrol/diesel/steam variants (£27) but rather cheaper than the discontinued MK2 combo (£37). First-Class-Signed-For postage in the UK will be £3.00, elsewhere at cost.

As the attached picture shows, I've taken this opportunity to re-package it into a smaller, lower profile, 3D printed case, but it remains functionally identical to the MK2.

I won't be setting up an e-shop, but I've been direct-selling my competition timers for model aircraft quite successfully by issuing PayPal invoices to customers requesting units by email.

As for the rest of the discussion, I'm the first to admit that my 'steam' sound is quite unsuitable for boats other than the Puffer types - originally it was only ever intended for a novelty paddle steamer a pal built in bath-toy hull - you can read about this on my 'workshop' page
http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/workshop/sound-unit-history.

I've supplied a few prototype 'real steam' units http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/boats/fe101 to some of our SRCMBC club members using a sound clip from a compound expansion engine in place of the Turbo Diesel shown in the photo, but I don't propose to continue with this particular approach.

Regards to all

Alan Bond

in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king

Tiny69

• Full Mayhemer
    • Tiny's Modelling Site
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 07:28:12 pm »

Alan,

Any chance of a sound bite of the diesel engine?

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
  • more wires than wood in my boats!
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 07:39:01 pm »

Out all day tomorrow, but thereafter once the temperature in my workshop drops below the surface temperature of Venus, I'll see about making a sound demo for you.   
in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 07:57:11 pm »

Found this video of Kerne's steam engine similar in size to a TID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG1GEFq5xro
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 08:07:37 pm »

Found this video of Kerne's steam engine similar in size to a TID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG1GEFq5xro

How about offering this steam sound with your new sound unit Alan?

It would make a more realistic steam sound for those of us with steam tugs that are looking for something a little more "authentic" than the chugging sound you offer at the moment.

As an already happy owner of some of your combo units I would be more than happy to buy a couple more of your new combo units if they can include a more realistic steam sound - and I would be very pleased to have the chance too!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 22 queries.