Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft - Cumbrae Clyde Pilot + JJC Smoke unit?  (Read 3907 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Caldercraft - Cumbrae Clyde Pilot + JJC Smoke unit?
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:09:33 pm »

Slip topic from - Who makes the smoke unit that runs only on water? 

Sorry for the missunderstanding in my previous thread ......

Ok! I just want to know of the makers name who makes the smoke unit that runs purely on water? Has anybody got one and how does it compare to the Graupner units? I have purchased the smaller 6v Graupner smoke unit in the past, however i found that they didn't last very long before they run out of oil. I haven't tried the larger 12v Graupner smoke unit, so don't know if it's any good or how long the oil last for?

Any advice would be great!!!

Regards: Voyager
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Caldercraft - Cumbrae Clyde Pilot + JJC Smoke unit?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:37:53 pm »

Much obliged!!! O0

I will have to try and get one direct, no longer being sold at Westbourne. I'm picking up a new model tomorrow (Caldercraft Clyde Pilots) that i won on ebay, I'll need to see how much room i have to work with, checking out the link that Martin posted here i'd say it looks quite big :o

Might need to get out my big hammer???

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 04:48:05 pm »

If it's the Cumbrae you might have some difficulty squeezing the JJC unit in. I've got one and they aren't all that big inside because the hull is quite curved in all directions. The motor and battery take up most of the space in the middle of my model. I'd get hold of the exact dimensions of the smoke unit first before buying it.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 05:23:37 pm »

Excellent, thank you all ;)

It is indeed the Cumbrae :embarrassed: Ahhh...I'll do that, don't want to pay that money only for it not to fit, ta Colin. Can i ask what your running in yours, might point me in the right dirrection to get mine fitted out.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 05:51:50 pm »

This is what mine looks like inside. There's a gel cell lurking under the speed controller.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 06:32:00 pm »

Ooooh....your right about there not being much room ??? I see you got a Buhler in yours! I was thinking of fitting a Monoperm or Decaperm in mine, that is if i can find one? I can see from your pictures that i'm gonna have to think things through carefully before buying anything. Always helps to have someone who's already been there and done it to point me in the right dirrection O0 Thanks for the pictures Colin.

Is that a 6v 7amp under the hood? Just to give me an idea to ballasting.

Regards: Voyager

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:32:45 pm »

I'm not sure what the motor is, it's a 540 type and low current drain. I think a Monoperm would be too small and a Decaperm too big for this boat. I would recommend a low drain 540 type such as the Electronize 545-12 although that looks a bit pricey to me. Somebody may be able to suggest a cheaper alternative. As you can see, I have geared the motor down using pulleys and O Rings as driving bands. This allows the motor to run more efficiently and also enabled me to tuck it away to give more room for the other gear. If you do this don't stretch the O rings as this will bind the drive and current consumption will shoot up. You are correct that the battery is a 6v 7amp hour - lasts for ages with this setup. The only thing I would warn you about is that the boat steers fine when going ahead but there is virtually no steering astern, it just pulls to one side even with the rudder hard over the other way. I've tried using different props but it seems to make no difference so I guess it's down to the hull shape.

You don't say if you've bought a completed model or the kit. If it is the kit then I could send you a copy of the review I did for the now defunct Radio Control Boat Modeller magazine in 1992 which might help you with the construction. I found it to be a very enjoyable kit to build. Everything went together well and it resulted in a really attractive model which looks good on the pond and ashore.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:03:21 pm »

Well Richard, the suggestion was to use the JJC in the Cumbrae and I doubt if it will fit so maybe a logical off topic or maybe we should start a new one. Just trying to be helpful. By the way, posting in blue text is reserved for Moderators. Changed!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 01:14:45 pm »

Playing around with my Cumbrae at Beale Park yesterday I think I have worked out how to make it go backwards in a straight line - sort of!

When you select reverse the shape of the hull means that the prop pushes the water out on one side only so the stern kicks to one side. Once she has got some movement on her, putting the rudder hard over will counteract this effect reasonably well. So it looks as if you have to point the stern in the "wrong" direction first to alow for the initial kick then put the rudder over as she gathers way - still quite tricky to get her where you want her though. I need more practice.  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.