Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Le Mans 24 hour  (Read 3315 times)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Le Mans 24 hour
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:17:41 pm »

this is an event I have dreamed of attending for many years!

Today I got up early to watch the morning stint on channel 24, and I thank the lord that I never went to watch it live.

it has got to have been the boring 45 minutes that I have wasted in my life watching cars just drive repetitively around a track, with the only glimmer of hope of something happening and of  being some excitement was the odd pit stop.....................but nothing.........sheer boredom...........it's a wonder the drivers don't fall asleep, because I certainly did.........bring on BTCC or perhaps a few hours of the Bathurst 1000 race from Australia, but what a waste of time the LM 24 hour was as a TV spectator sport. {:-{ %%

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Le Mans 24 hour
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 04:33:49 pm »

I am getting the Americas Cup on Austrian TV at the mo'. Now that is interesting seeing these catamarans "foiling". Amazing!!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:32:37 pm »

...it has got to have been the boring 45 minutes that I have wasted in my life ......

Pour some oil & petrol on your floor, skin your knees with some sand paper, tip some beer over yourself, rub some dirt in your face and hair, then throw $250 in the bin .... it will seem much more realistic then!       O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 06:05:40 pm »

Pour some oil & petrol on your floor, skin your knees with some sand paper, tip some beer over yourself, rub some dirt in your face and hair, then throw $250 in the bin .... it will seem much more realistic then!       O0

I'll try that Martin {-) {-)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:17:22 pm »

Did you watch a different LeMans to me? As with anything that lasts 24 hours there will be boring bits, exciting bits, fall asleep bits, that is the nature of any multi hour project. Get on a ship, you get the exciting bits as it leaves port, but once out of sight of land all there is to see is boring blue ocean, then exciting bits as it comes into port.

I watched from 1pm yesterday for the buildup the tv was on in the lounge until 10pm last night. I watched but not constantly, I came and went doing jobs around the house and garden. Once in bed tv was on and it stayed on all night even though I fell asleep and missed the exciting bits during the night. Woke up at 8am and tv in the lounge went on until the race was over.

As a motoring spectacle it cannot be beaten, where else can you see cars doing over 210mph on public roads?  Todays result shows that, a LMP2 car all but won the race overall, Porsche taking it from them with their sole remaining LMP1 car in the last 30 minutes. First time ever that LMP2 cars have finished 2nd and 3rd overall.

The clincher was the race between Corvette and Aston Martin in the GTE Pro class. racing for 24 hours and into the last lap only half a second seperated them -  half a second over 24 hours, how much excitement do you want?  Aston Martin took the class win after the Corvette shortcut across gravel traps and got punctured on the penultimate lap in his all out rush to keep the Aston behind.

In short the best 24 hour race for years. the downside was that only 5 of the LMP1 cars (basically a formula 1 car with full bodywork) were entered by just 2 teams. There are rumours that because of this, the automobile de l'Ouest (organisers) will drop LMP1 from next years race, hey ho if that happens then a big part of the spectacle goes,

At least the LMP1 Toyota car of Ant Davidson finished, even if it was a lowly 9th place, he extends his lead in the world endurance championship.

Daleb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:05:36 pm »

Well said Brian60, I didn't see any of this years race as I don't have the facilities on our TV (just have freesat) but have previously camped at the circuit and stayed up all night in the grandstand watching for the whole race...an experience not to be missed. Sorry but how can you judge a 24 hour race plus all the qualifying/build up etc. on 45mins viewing on TV?

Dale.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 10:33:58 pm »

each to their own............I also find golf ruins a good walk, and athletics totally pointless............as for soccer..........I couldn't possibly print what I think about that and those who follow it.............so as I said.......each to their own..........but if you want to see some good motor racing, IMHO watch the Bathurst 1000 endurance race,..............it would make le mans look very tame indeed.........and they too reach up to 200+ mph down Conrod Straight in saloon cars no less..........And that is also a public road with parts no wider than a lake district country road through the mountain section.

Jim.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:06:47 am »

My dear Jimmy.....for a man who's never been to Brisbane  :o ...you have an amazing knowledge of our Bathurst [NSW] 1000 race from OZ O0

Yes,  the Fords & Holden's now reach 315km down Conrod Straight [which is curved anyway]...yes it makes that Froggy Mulsane stretch and flat track look tame  ok2 .......people travel 1000's of km's just to pitch a tent....get a second hand lounge suite, have the Honda Hush Power gen-set just ticking over to keep the fridge cold ...all at the top of the hill...just near McPhillamies bend .......we home struck national type folk watch the coverage from sunrise to sunset

Now to make things interesting, two years ago the Promoters of GT Production Cars Europe staged a 24 hour endurance at Bathurst......however the carnage was too great for the television coverage......a few of those 7 litre Bentleys mixing it with a few 7' Australian Red Roos bounding around at 0330 in the mist near the top of the mountain........

The Bentleys were towed away <*<....the Roos just kept on bounding  :-)) ...even the Lambo's & other Italian varities ran away & hid behind the trees whilst those funny looking German thingies wizzed up the hill and thru the cutting sounding every bit  %% doing about 15,000 RPM in 3rd gear

Bathurst......acknowledged by the greatest as the greatest motor vehicle race track in the World O0...they even have a duck pond in a farm just off Conrod that can be used for model boats  :kiss:

[my dear Dad first took brother & I to see the sceptical in  ......in...yes 1954]

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 02:09:30 am »

Having been driven down the Esses at the legal 60k limit, ok it is 2 way most of the year, I have the fullest admiration for the race drivers. It's SCARY  O0 O0 O0 O0
Almost as scary as being driven round the NSW Police driver training circuit by the chief instructor.  :police:
Knowing that there was a 160 degree bend at the end of the straight and doing 200 k in a pursuit car.  Surely he's going to break now, now, now, he's got to break now  <:(
Give me Aussie V8 racing any day for continuous excitement. Much better than Formula 1 where it's all down to pit work.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 03:44:50 am »

So BrianB6 says........'Having been driven down the Esses .. It's SCARY'  O0 O0 O0 O0

Yes as a 5 year old.....I thought Dads FJ Holden would fall off the face of the earth O0
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 09:01:28 am »

My dear Jimmy.....for a man who's never been to Brisbane  :o ...you have an amazing knowledge of our Bathurst [NSW] 1000 race from OZ O0
Derek

hello derek,

I actually know quite a bit about your amazing race, and feel as though I have been there "spiritually".

Neil , my mate and I were chatting about motor racing some time ago and how tame F1 had become( not this year though I might stress) but our own touring car races were full of excitement, and how I had always had a yearning to go to Le Mans.

He told me to forget that lot, and pulled some dvd's from his cabinet. These are what you want to watch he said.

He had shared a house with another petrol head called Scotty if I remember , in Canberra and told me that the full race of an endurance race called the Hardy Ferrodo  was televised each year and they made a pact to get the beers in and watch it that year.

The following year they decided to go to the race because Stirling Moss was teaming up with an older Oz Racing driver ( I forget the name neil gave me) But I think it was Jack Brabham, and they both pitched up and sat at the Esses for the weekend. Sadly I believe, Neil told me that the vintage pair failed to get off the start line with a broken gearbox.

Anyway the dvd's that neil lent me had been sent by his mate for the last 3 years of the total 2 days live coverage from the TV, including the old classic cars (that used to race in the 70's and 80's) in their own short limited lap races.....and they were not hanging around either.

I have never seen racing like it, and it made even our BTCC and European TCC races look positively tame, let alone the LeMans on Sunday.

So, if you that think LeMans is exciting, get hold of some coverage of the Bathurst races, with the 6 litre V8's thundering round a track at 200mph, that is a public highway,half the width of LeMans and then you'll see what real racing excitement is.

Jimmy  <*< >>:-( ............oooops Sorry, Jim.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 09:08:34 am »

here you go, guys..........if you don't believe me, here's the 2012 race in full..............

dare you to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDlbLpsb0g

the noise alone is phenomenal

Jim.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 10:02:16 am »

Yes Jim.......all so true  O0 .....[including your renditions of your times talking to your mate Neil]............ Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 03:24:07 pm »

Yep the Bathurst - brought to you by the same people who think its great to race Ute's %% See I know more about it than you think :-)) The Bathurst used to be covered by Eurosport back in the 1980's but you can't call it the greatest race in the world when 90% of the teams are australian, kind of like the yanks calling baseball the world series %% Only the Aussies believe that. The rest of the world acknowledge 3 races as the greatest in the world, Le Mans, Indianapolis and Monaco - although I disagree with the last one, that is a snorefest during the 'race'

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 05:00:02 pm »

I must be missing something, how Le Mans be "an event I have dreamed of attending for many years!" if you've never seen anything of it?

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 10:52:45 pm »

I must be missing something, how Le Mans be "an event I have dreamed of attending for many years!" if you've never seen anything of it?

I have often wanted to utter such a statement so profound, as to be almost meaningless  %% %% {:-{

Jim.

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 02:30:34 pm »

Is it my age now or what?...In my youth I worked for the RAC and was regularly a runner at Brands Hatch, Silverstone etc, even did the 24 Hours Le Mans....but now, the best racing programme on TV is :-

THE RED BULL BOXCAR DOWNHILL RACES!!!!!.....brilliant fun.

Ron.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 07:37:27 pm »

Is it my age now or what?...In my youth I worked for the RAC and was regularly a runner at Brands Hatch, Silverstone etc, even did the 24 Hours Le Mans....but now, the best racing programme on TV is :-

THE RED BULL BOXCAR DOWNHILL RACES!!!!!.....brilliant fun.

Ron.

I agree with you 100% there Ron.

best racing on TV.

Jim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.