Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Remora.  (Read 1368 times)

nwalker

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vic Smeed Remora.
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 04:00:09 PM »

Here are a couple of photos of my Remora

The motor is mounted directly onto the propshaft tube with the brass flange, there is a water cooling jacket that I fitted in case it was needed but the moter does not get hot atall  so I never connected it up.
Nice! what is the name of such propshaft?

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Re: Vic Smeed Remora.
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2020, 10:00:09 PM »

Self isolating sees a return to working on the Remora again as I also try to make something usable out of the butchered remains of a Rapier that I was given a long time ago.

I should have put the Rapier wreck straight into the bin as it has taken precious working time away from the Remora, but I have got the hull straightened now and hope I can spread my work time between them both by working on one whilst the other has adhesive or paint drying etc.

I got an inferiority complex about having the smallest motor out of all those mentioned on this thread so far, so I sent away for a couple of the bigger Turnigy 3648-1450 motors as I needed a bigger motor to shove the wreck (Rapier) along,  and thought I would keep one in reserve - just in case the Turnigy D3536/6 1250KV motor fails to deliver the pleasant performance in the Remora that I am hoping for.

Luckily they both fit the same water-cooled mount so swapping them over would be quick and easy (and I am using a 90amp speedo so it should work with either).

Tonight I fitted a shaft support under the 4mm stainless prop shaft and faired it in with Bondaglass filler and then wondered if I should have fitted a 5mm shaft to cope with the power (?), but I will complete the build and test it with the 4mm shaft and hope the slimmer size and lighter weight shaft will work well and justify its selection.

If not the hammer will come out and all the lovey faring-in will be wasted as the 4mm shaft is knocked out and an M5 shaft is inserted in its place !

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up