Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Biggish Aquarama Special build  (Read 50196 times)

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
Re: Bigish Aquarama Special Build
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2018, 05:03:59 pm »

I have no concerns re my rudder linkup, no slop and very accurate centering.
Here are some pictures of the last 3 days work, I only spend about 3 hours per day in there.

The transom is complete with the exhausts trial fitted, they will be chromed later.

The work at the stern was really challenging as I had to get the angles on both sides the same, took several attempts.
Will be able to make and fit the side decks so that the upper hull sides can be completely planked.

Have also fitted 2 fans above the motors, will give some thought to maybe a cowling to direct the airflow, although it would be good if some of the air
could be spilled onto the two ESC's.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2018, 04:03:02 pm »

The stern has been an absolute nightmare, must have made the pieces half a dozen times and each time just couldn't get them to fit, so, have now disregarded the plan and made things up as I go along.Have wasted vast amounts of Mahogany which is not cheap, especially 100mm x 13mm x 1.3 mtr planks.
Anyway, have completed one side, (still needs more sanding), and used the pieces as templates to complete the other side, also, have wasted money on "Mahogany filler", alas, no one seems to know it's colour, they have been cream,orange and even a supposedly a highly regarded German made one which turned out to be purple !!Have resorted to making my own which is water based, very easy to sand and doesn't turn black when the sanding dust is added, unlike adding the dust to PVA or Aliphatic glue.

Here are a few photos of my labours, (4 weeks), the nearly completed left side which has been sprayed with washing up liquid and water just to give some idea of the colour when varnished.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2018, 06:20:28 pm »

When it's finished it will look beautiful so hopefully the frustrations will be long forgotten when it is.

Lovely work and detailing.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2018, 07:55:02 pm »

It is a thing of beuty and can only get better.
grumpy old XXX

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2018, 07:36:54 pm »

A little more work done on the stern.Bathing slide very near complete, apart from the vinyl upholstering and the other side of the stern ready for final shaping.Bathing deck floor nears completion with the transmission hatch fitted, havn't decided how to secure it yet tho'.
Some pictures...

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2018, 10:32:17 pm »

Some more pictures of recent work.
Mike.

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2018, 12:25:39 pm »

Hi it's John V can you what size is the boat you are building .Only mine is 900mm long and 250 wide and the one I have is wood built .With single prop .Looks like you are doing very well cheers John V

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2018, 02:45:35 pm »

Hi it's John V can you what size is the boat you are building .Only mine is 900mm long and 250 wide and the one I have is wood built .With single prop .Looks like you are doing very well cheers John V
Hi John.
The boat is 1.25mtrs x 380mm, about 1/7th scale.
Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2018, 03:08:53 pm »

Latest work on the boat, but held up for a few days due to my,(new), B&D mouse sander blowingup.Fortunately, was able to get a full refund so have ordered what, on paper, should last a bit longer.
Here are the latest photos but before that I have a printable sheet of guages that can be enlarged and printed from Windows Photo Viewer.I have used glossy photo paper and the results are very acceptable but the photos are on plain A4 printer paper.
If anyone wants a copy let me know and I will email it to you.
The photos.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2018, 11:57:58 pm »

Very impressive Mike  O0 ..........................

Did you resolve the vibration/resonance?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2018, 03:00:36 am »

Hi Derek.
I have lined the whole of the inside where possible using 10mm adhesive backed H/D foam which has made a huge difference.
The foam whilst high density is very light so little weight has been added.
Very pleased with the results.

Mike.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2018, 03:28:39 am »

Mike.....the way you have left whitewood curled shavings on the deck is very creative photography  %)

With the motor cooling fans.......I suppose you will need to wait for an extended run [loaded] in the water to understand the motor temperatures

Will the fans pull warm air upwards away from the motors, or push cooler ambient air down over the motors?  :-X

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2018, 12:05:05 am »

Instead of printing the guages on photo paper  get some printable vinyl and print on that , much thinner and will work better,you can also buy a thin sheet of vinyl laminate to put over the top to protect them  .Builds coming along nicely .Fans should work well for you . a mate of mine uses two in one of my Thunderbolt Cat hulls at over 60 mph and they work well.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2018, 10:16:53 pm »

Mike.....the way you have left whitewood curled shavings on the deck is very creative photography  %)

With the motor cooling fans.......I suppose you will need to wait for an extended run [loaded] in the water to understand the motor temperatures

Will the fans pull warm air upwards away from the motors, or push cooler ambient air down over the motors?  :-X

Derek
Hi Derek.
The fans are symmetrical so I just need to flip them over to reverse the air flow but as yet I haven't decided which way to have them.
Later in the build I will do some smoke tests to check which would be the best way to achieve maximum cooling effect.
I think the motors and batteries will get quite warm due to the very course pitch propellers.
The louvre panel in the rear seat can take in cold air from the cockpit or expel hot air from the motor / battery compartment, also, there are 2 air inlet/outlet
positions, one either side of the rear seat back. Again, a smoke test might show the better solution but it may well be the case under actual running.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2018, 10:24:09 pm »

Instead of printing the guages on photo paper  get some printable vinyl and print on that , much thinner and will work better,you can also buy a thin sheet of vinyl laminate to put over the top to protect them  .Builds coming along nicely .Fans should work well for you . a mate of mine uses two in one of my Thunderbolt Cat hulls at over 60 mph and they work well.

Thanks for the info Martin, didn't know about printable Vinyl, sounds as tho' it may be the way to go.
The gauge bezels along with the exhausts are at the chrome platers at the moment so I can't show them yet.
They are to be glazed which will prevent any water getting at the dials but not help against light fade which is a problem with ink jet ink no matter what medium it is printed on.

Mike.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2018, 12:29:33 pm »

Yea ive started using lots of vinyl as i now have a vinyl cutter ,its great for doing designs on my hulls and names etc if you need anything let me know.I havent tried the printable vinyl with my printer yet but it seems it works well if you have a good printer,you then just apply the laminate sheet over them ,saves having to laquer over them .Made these decals for a customers Tomahawk hull i made him .By the way i think the clear laminate could be uv safe ie potects decals against the sun at least some are .

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2018, 02:11:03 pm »

More workdone.Front now planked, side decking shaped and the Dashboard, along with the Exhausts, almost done.No steering wheel yet as I don't have access to a milling machine, the wheel I want to duplicate is the later Momo type as I find the American Cadilac type that was used on most earlier Aquarama quite vulgar.
Some pictures.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2018, 05:43:39 pm »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2018, 08:54:32 pm »

Absolutely stunning!

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2018, 09:08:56 pm »

Absolutely stunning!
Thanks for that Tom.
 I thought that the difficulty would decrease as the build progressed but not so, each next stage it more complicated than the one before. I fear this is going to take a long time to finish.
Mike.

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2018, 09:13:28 pm »

your bossing it!, keep up the quality work.

always wanted to build this kit but i'm far to impatient and lack in talent...

Dan  :-))

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2018, 09:18:34 pm »

Thanks for that Tom.
 I thought that the difficulty would decrease as the build progressed but not so, each next stage it more complicated than the one before. I fear this is going to take a long time to finish.
Mike.

It'll be well worth it, they run so much better at this scale!

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2018, 09:26:51 pm »

your bossing it!, keep up the quality work.

always wanted to build this kit but i'm far to impatient and lack in talent...

Dan  :-))
[/quote
Hi Dan.

It's not a kit,  I have a 20 year old plan which I used for the frame shapes but it wasn't all that accurate so for the last year I've been referring to pictures on the net.
Fortunately there are lots and are very helpful but all of them have been restored so no two are the same.
Consiquently, mine is a bit of a mix and match.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2018, 02:18:43 pm »

Recent work.
1st. coat of varnish on the hull, gives me some idea of the colour which I quite like.The dash top completed with the instrument visor.
Have started to make the Momo type steering wheel which the later models and some restorations used.The rim is from a Stainless Steel "O ring", 60mm od 50mm id.The spoke assy. is silver soldered in place, which I cut from Brass sheet, then grey primed it to show up faults.It will be Matt very light Grey later.
The rim doesn't need much attention as it will be leather covered.
lots lots of sanding now and umpteen coats of varnish.
Some pictures.
Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2018, 03:33:53 pm »

Hi all.

A couple of pictures of the boats 4th coat of varnish, got away with no dust on previous 3 but this time quite a lot, including some Midges.
Not a problem this time because I cut back to flat each coat.
Haven't been filtering the Varnish as yet but the last 2 or 3 will be.

Stripped all the paint from the steering wheel as it lifted from the S/S and brass. I need a better primer.
Any suggestions anyone ?
Given up on the leather covered rim as it was impossible to stitch. Will paint it also.

Have decided to change the flexible motor couplings from the spiral design to a Plum type. The clamping method of the latter is far superior to the grub screw method of the spiral type, small grub screws of any type do not like gripping 316 Stainless shafts. Here's a picture of a Plum coupling.

Mike.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.