Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Biggish Aquarama Special build  (Read 50453 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Biggish Aquarama Special build
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2020, 09:23:03 am »

Here's a pic of one of my hulls wrapped and protected even before it goes into a box,mine are quite robust anyway but yours is fragile by comparison so you would need to think very carefully about how to protect it .

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2020, 12:05:41 pm »

Here's a pic of one of my hulls wrapped and protected even before it goes into a box,mine are quite robust anyway but yours is fragile by comparison so you would need to think very carefully about how to protect it .

Hi Martno1fan.

You are quite right about the carriers, especially when it comes to making a claim for loss or damage.
I had to make a claim recently for loss and the company tried every way to get out of paying. I eventually was paid out but not after lots of arguing.
It turned out to be one in the eye for them, as a week after receiving the payout, which took one month, the parcel was found and delivered undamaged to the people I sent it to, but the carrier had already paid me an couldn't claim their money back.

A result for the little people.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2020, 02:17:34 pm »

Hello.

Alas, no sign of varnish today, which is preventing me from sticking to my order of jobs to do. So am looking for things to be getting on with and decided to make the 2
transom hand rails. Not yet decided as to the size of them due to not having any information as to the thickness. a couple of the photos show 4mm rod which I am favouring. Have done the same with 5mm but that seems a tad too thick, 4mm is favourite, it better be, because I've just ordered 300 mm of it.

Here is my little Proxxon lathe with milling attachment fitted showing the square brass bar milled out to be used for the ends of the handrails, after some grinding and buffing, pleased with it so far.

On a different, note does anyone know how to lock the cross slide on a PF250E as it's not covered in the manual ?
Some pictures, including pretty girl  :o

Mike.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2020, 03:13:10 pm »

PD?

Pretty girl
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2020, 03:23:23 pm »

Re. the locking of the cross slide on my Proxxon PF230 lathe.

I have found out how to do it and it's quite easy. There is an unused tapped hole on the right hand side amongst the others that are that are all used for removing any play in the slide, 4 in number, the unused hole is a little larger in diameter than the others.
I used a 4mm x 16mm grub screw and 4mm nut for locking. Just tighten the screw until it locks the slide, no unnecessary force is needed. Lock it of with the locknut and there you have it. To go back to normal operation of the slide, just back off the grub screw and wind it out a few turns and lock it off.

Et voila.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2020, 03:31:04 pm »

Thanks Andy.

Many thanks for the info.

It didn't come with anything in that hole, so I guest it could be for that.

They need a locknut tho', grub screw or Allen screw, just to be safe, but I will change mine to the Allen screw, and lot easier to get at.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2020, 03:35:49 pm »

Good Afternoon each.

Still no sign of the varnish so have had put on another coat of the No.1, reluctantly.

4th, one and a shine is slowly starting to appear, had to do it in the kitchen as it's far too windy outside.

Here are some pictures of it immediately following application, so it's not levelled yet. Several more hours before I can transfer it back to the shed.

No quips about the kitchen being off limits for a time please, as I am the only one who uses it, due to my wife's illness.

This is definitely the last time that I use the No.1, will wait for the Classic to arrive.

Mike.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2020, 03:54:27 pm »

Wow that is beautiful Mike - the grain just leaps out at you with that varnish!

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2020, 03:57:24 pm »

Afternoon Mike

Two things.

1. That boat is looking 100% awesome.
2. I've a 'No. 1' sticker on my Le Tonk tin and was thinking of trying to get a tin of classic, but seeing what you have done with No 1, I'll be very happy if I can get similar results so will stick with No 1 this time around. You're on coat 4 how many coats are you thinking..?

BTW. Getting some detail scale pics ready for you now.

Best regards
David.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2020, 04:46:18 pm »

Hi David.

Thanks for the kind comments.

No.1 is a good varnish, it has one quality that the Classic doesn't have and that is a quicker drying time, that would suit most people, but not me, I don't mind waiting 

the day longer that the Classic needs, after all, there are usually other jobs that can be done whilst waiting.

Go ahead and use it, especially if you haven't used Classic before, but, most importantly, only apply the thinnest coat that you can or else it will, not might, sag and or

run for sure.

Re. the no. of coats, I think about 10 should be O.K. It all depends on when I'm happy with the results, if it needs more then it gets more.

Adding weight doesn't come into the equation regarding no. of coats needed. After all each coat is virtually removed when sanding.

Mike.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2020, 05:34:19 pm »

Luscious  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2020, 04:20:22 pm »

Good Afternoon.

Still no varnish, spoke to Brian this morning, pointing out that I ordered and paid for it 11 days ago and could the carrier possibly be Herm**. Unfortunately it is.
They are the ones who lost my Windscreen Frame, now waiting to hear from Brian as he has a tracking no.

So, Iv'e started to make the transom handrails for something to do.
Would have liked to get them soldered up today but I silver solder outside and naturally, with my luck, it's started raining and seems set in for the day now.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the,"kit" showing the cardboard template, the resulting MDF bending former and the brass bits, maybe tomorrow will be dry so that I can continue. There will of course,be a lot of shaping, buffing etc. following the soldering. Then, if they turn out to my satisfaction, go for Chroming, but not via the same carrier.

There is a picture of how they will look if successful.

Mike

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2020, 03:15:59 pm »

Good Afternoon.

Here are a few photos of the Ridiculous and the Sublime, along with the deck water and fuel fillers and just before someone asks, the opening tool is different for both fillers. One won't open the other so that someone  can't put water into the fuel tank and vice versa.

The forth coat of varnish is being sanded ready for the fifth, but it's far too hot in my shed today to even consider applying varnish 34 degrees  :(( .

Mike.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2020, 03:25:49 pm »

That really is so beautiful - It looks like the mahogany is underneath glass

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2020, 05:51:52 pm »

Thanks for that Mark.

I think it's going to take about 10 coats before it reaches maximum gloss.
I takes me around 5 hours to rub down each coat so I can't overcoat the same day.
5 hours constitute a full day in the shed. I then allow 3 days for each coat to be hard enough to sand. It's going to be quite a while to complete I think, but it should be worth it.

Mike.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2020, 11:09:29 pm »

..."5 hour to rub down each coat" ....

Mike is this using the Scotch Brite type pads?....and do you use it wet like W&D ? [flooding away the removed surface materials]

Watching those videos......'with each coat just becomes more lustrous and glass like'  :kiss: ......[the wood in the boat I mean]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2020, 12:04:26 am »

G'Day Derek.

After the 4th. coat, which I have sanded today, I will be able to reduce the time taken to sand the following coats due to the surface becoming far more level now.
I intend to remove the glaze using either 400 or 600 grit Aluminium Oxide paper dry, which is the most appropriate. Followed by 120 INDASA double sided foam pads, again dry. These pads a very fine and don't resemble 120 grit normal  paper, silicone or Ali Oxide.
Finally, I was given  by LeTonkinois U.K. a  Scotch Brite pad which they sell for me to try.
It is very fine and is perfect for a quick final sand down before applying the next coat of varnish.
I do of course vacuum the hull and wipe over with a micro fibre cloth before the next coat.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2020, 02:32:00 pm »

Good Afternoon all.

Coat no.5, boat sat levelling away, should take bout 3 hours to be dust safe.

The shine is about as good as it can gets at this stage, the rest of the coats from now on will then start to add depth, which is what I'm after.

Still getting inclusions, dust, flying things and some that only David Attenborough could recognise . It's not important at this stage, only the final coat matters, so I have quite a while wait, but as of now I have no idea how to stop it happening.
Some pictures when the varnish was applied.

Mike.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2020, 11:26:37 pm »

Mike......considered brushing in the tiled bathroom......[& I don't mean with soap].............

If the bathroom has an exhaust fan for steam removal, may not be best to turn it on to remove the Le Tonktin fumes, it could also suck dust contaminate from adjoining flooring  %)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2020, 11:36:23 pm »

Hi Derek.

Brilliant idea, I would never have thought of that.
So, the quality of the final finish is going to be down to you 😋😋.

Many thanks.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2020, 04:18:49 pm »

Good Afternoon all.

Whilst waiting for the varnish to harden enough for me to sand down ready for the next coat, 6th.
I have done some more with the Transom Handrails, no where near finished as the picture shows.

If anyone is interested, I milled out a 4mm wide channel using a ball nose cutter along a piece of 1/4" square brass bar to just over centre deep.
Cut the angles of the 4 stand offs with my little bandsaw and soldered them in place along with the 4mm round rails, worked out quite well to my surprise !!
Lots more shaping and sizing to do yet, as you can see.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2020, 07:13:19 pm »

Evening All.

Here is the first handrail shaped and buffed, this is now the template for completing the second one, hopefully !!!

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2020, 06:47:36 pm »

Hello Mayhemers.

No varnishing due to too high temps here, so, have been making the last version of the foredeck masthead light/nav.lights/flag pole assy, don't know what it's propper name is.
It was changed for the last few Specials which ended at hull no.774. I have no idea how many were fitted with the new type due to there being no info that I can find available. The only information that I can find is a couple of photos on the net. I think that it is the boats horn as well as flagstaff and masthead white light.

The siren that was fitted to the Aquarama's was in my opinion, ridiculous, it's sound is that of a 1950's American police car or that of a speeded up WW2 air raid siren, also, on the 10th scale models, it makes the foredeck very cluttered and I notice the the majority of full size restorations it has been omitted.

Due to there being no written dimensions available, which would help with scaling, I've guessed on sizes but it looks about right and there is a fair amount of licence taken.

I have changed the final main body finish from the strange Chroming as shown in the photos to conventional Hard Chrome. The masthead white light will be added post chroming. The port and stbd. nav lights will be moved to the rear part of the windscreen frame.

The photos make thing a little clearer.

Mike.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2020, 07:24:26 pm »

Beautiful piece of work Mike.

Agreed re the horn / siren.  It looks like it should be a light of some sort. I'm thinking to leave it off my build.

Whats next to construct fittings wise..?  Do you wait for a batch of items to be ready then send to be chromed..?

David.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2020, 08:28:11 pm »

Beautiful piece of work Mike.

Agreed re the horn / siren.  It looks like it should be a light of some sort. I'm thinking to leave it off my build.

Whats next to construct fittings wise..?  Do you wait for a batch of items to be ready then send to be chromed..?

David.
Evening David.

I regretted fitting the Siren to my Amati, almost as soon as was glued on. The fordeck is much too cluttered with it.

I should be able to rub down the 5th coat tomorrow if it's a little cooler, even sanding down shouldn't be done when it's very warm because the paper clogs instantly.
You will know if it is o.k. because the varnish to be sanded will feel quite soft and rubbery if it's too early or too warm.
Haven't bothered posting pictures of the 5th coat as it is now getting very difficult to get a usable snap due to the glaze which is now beginning to build  :-)) :-)) .

Will make a new pair of rear deck fillers, Fuel and Water as I have managed the get the dia. of the later Specials, they were/are quite small. Will use brass for that.

When I have about £50 worth of Chrome to be done I'll send it off. Fortunately, I haven't, reached that point yet, thankfully.

Top Tip, Stick with the No.1, don't even contemplate changing it. ok2 ok2

Mike.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.