Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A very Noisy Aerokits Fireboat!  (Read 2038 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
A very Noisy Aerokits Fireboat!
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:13:01 pm »

its early on with this project, I was going to wait until its completed, but not sure when that will be, so Ill give you a sneak peak. I've been using a sound system in one of my model planes, and over time have become friendly with the guy who makes them, helping him with various things. I got thinking about the 4 foot fireboat I have, and how cool it would be to have a sound unit. So, to cut a long story short, I knew he had a plane sound with twin Merlin's for a bomber, and I use a merlin for my P51 Mustang model. After a serious amount of pestering, I got him to modify one of the 5 stock sounds on his Boat sound unit, using the twin Merlin sound from the planes. It took some work, getting rid of the propeller sound on the start up and shut down sequence. I ran it for the first time last night, but forgot to take spare batteries, and a small screwdriver to adjust the settings, so couldnt change the settings,  in particular, the volume was set way too loud, losing some of the clarity of sound.

This is pretty close to the real engines, which where v8 meteor, this sound is an actual recording of the v12 Merlin, its doubled up, and staggered, so you can hear the two engines running. It has start up and shut down sequence, it isn't clever enough to read reverse unfortunately.

Its a speakerless system, using transducers instead of speakers, which are much louder, smaller and lighter. They rely on vibrations, they are epoxied to the hull, and the whole boat becomes the speaker! Its the first time I've done this, and its  pretty new on the market for boats, planes have been going for a few years. I've realised that whilst I put them above the waterline, I didn't account for the roll of the hull, when one (there is one on either side) goes below the waterline it muffles the vibrations, and causes a funny sort of gurgling noise, ah well, like I say, its early days! Still a bit of tweaking to do, but you get the idea.
Stock sounds are Turbo cat diesel, Johnson outboard, evenrude outboard, mercule v8, steam. They also have aux sounds, such as ships bell, steam whistle, horn, seagulls etc. I think on my system the Johnson is dropped in lieu of the twin merlin sound.

Have a look at www.mrrcsound.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkJUHe1tR_w

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A very Noisy Aerokits Fireboat!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:29:38 pm »

Hi red181........... this Mr RC Sounds has taken a newish approach with transducers resinating the structure, however pushing out 108 dB is absolute proof of his design

The single Merlin is so authentic  :-)) ....raw un-muffeled rumble...O0

I am sure his customers will be well pleased.....just not sure how those H&S people with the simulated smoke output

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:39:48 pm »

Had another play out, and this time had the correct screwdriver to turn the sound down! It sounded much better, but I need to remount the transducers. The thickness of the ply (being very thin) has caused the "tinny" sound, the mounting point needs to be thicker, not too thick, or the volume will be lost, but thicker to increase the deeper tones, and sound more like a twin merlin, which it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DUO2JS8FfY

I also tried the mercruiser v8 sound, I like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzs3M6EMMBI

Now the problem is, the TT25 transducers are epoxied on to the hull, do I risk getting them off to remount better!😲

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:13:31 am »

The sound from the twin Merlins is amazing. O0......volume is your choice  %)....... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.