The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

Starlet By Vic Smeed

(1/8) > >>

reg:
Hi Guys
I went to Wings & Wheels this weekend ,just to have a pleasent day out with no intention of buying much other
than an icecream .
I came home with a Belair laser cut kit of Vic Smeed's Starlet Yacht !
I have copy of the plan from 1966 but not the magazine.
Has some one the building instructions, they can let me have a copy of, I am happy to pay the costs of copying,
Also has any one a copy of the article on modifing the Starlet in the RCM&E for Feb 1971 they can copy for me.
Many Thanks   Reg

spearfish99:
Hi Reg,

I have the magazine and a poor copy of the building notes , which were also published in a softback A4 book back in the day. I have this somewhere safe" so can't put my hands on that.   Send me a PM with your address and I see what I can copy for you.  My 1976 Starlet has been recovered from the garage recently for a refurb.  They sail exceptionally well and I am sure that you will enjoy it. 

Frank Parsons at Nylet still has patterns for the sails and will knock you out a set at a very reasonable price.

Davegn:
Hi, I realise this is an oldish post now but I have the plans and I'm waiting on the wood kit this week for the Starlet. I have posted on another forum with regards to the build notes or a scan of Vic Smeed's book "Simple Model Yachts" that I believe the instructions are in to no avail. Would there be any chance of getting a copy please, I know it's a bit cheaky and I could possibly muddle my way through but the notes would be fantastic help being a noob an' all!
Regards Dave

tony52:
Message sent

Tony

mrzippy:
Hi Dave,

I built my Starbaby (the smaller 28'' version of Starlet) with help from info in a borrowed copy of the below
Marine Modelling Plans & construction special - Starbaby build article.

Having built the original 36'' Starlet 40 years ago I can confirm the two models are indentical in construction
and a copy of the 'plans special' would supply plenty of info regarding building the hull.

I Googled   marine modelling plans special   look in 'images' and B&H Models are advertising the mags for sale.

I also had the Vic Smeed book when building my original Starlet, it went into great detail about constructing the mast,
fittings, casting the lead, with many pages about making a sail winch from a Meccanno motor etc not relevant these days.

The model shown in Belair publicity is actually MY Starbaby with the helmsman sat in the cockpit,
they 'nicked' the photo from my local model boat club website, I have no connection with Belair but will follow this post
and try to answer any questions I may be able to help with.

Starlet and Starbaby are great old designs by the master Vic Smeed and sail remarkably well -
way beyond their simple origins.  Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version