Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Starlet By Vic Smeed  (Read 11919 times)

reg

• Full Mayhemer
Starlet By Vic Smeed
« on: June 26, 2017, 03:31:11 pm »

Hi Guys
I went to Wings & Wheels this weekend ,just to have a pleasent day out with no intention of buying much other
than an icecream .
I came home with a Belair laser cut kit of Vic Smeed's Starlet Yacht !
I have copy of the plan from 1966 but not the magazine.
Has some one the building instructions, they can let me have a copy of, I am happy to pay the costs of copying,
Also has any one a copy of the article on modifing the Starlet in the RCM&E for Feb 1971 they can copy for me.
Many Thanks   Reg

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Starlet By Vic Smeed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 03:52:02 pm »

Hi Reg,

I have the magazine and a poor copy of the building notes , which were also published in a softback A4 book back in the day. I have this somewhere safe" so can't put my hands on that.   Send me a PM with your address and I see what I can copy for you.  My 1976 Starlet has been recovered from the garage recently for a refurb.  They sail exceptionally well and I am sure that you will enjoy it. 

Frank Parsons at Nylet still has patterns for the sails and will knock you out a set at a very reasonable price.

Davegn

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 10:17:10 pm »

Hi, I realise this is an oldish post now but I have the plans and I'm waiting on the wood kit this week for the Starlet. I have posted on another forum with regards to the build notes or a scan of Vic Smeed's book "Simple Model Yachts" that I believe the instructions are in to no avail. Would there be any chance of getting a copy please, I know it's a bit cheaky and I could possibly muddle my way through but the notes would be fantastic help being a noob an' all!
Regards Dave

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 09:32:34 am »

Message sent

Tony

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 09:39:36 am »

Hi Dave,

I built my Starbaby (the smaller 28'' version of Starlet) with help from info in a borrowed copy of the below
Marine Modelling Plans & construction special - Starbaby build article.

Having built the original 36'' Starlet 40 years ago I can confirm the two models are indentical in construction
and a copy of the 'plans special' would supply plenty of info regarding building the hull.

I Googled   marine modelling plans special   look in 'images' and B&H Models are advertising the mags for sale.

I also had the Vic Smeed book when building my original Starlet, it went into great detail about constructing the mast,
fittings, casting the lead, with many pages about making a sail winch from a Meccanno motor etc not relevant these days.

The model shown in Belair publicity is actually MY Starbaby with the helmsman sat in the cockpit,
they 'nicked' the photo from my local model boat club website, I have no connection with Belair but will follow this post
and try to answer any questions I may be able to help with.

Starlet and Starbaby are great old designs by the master Vic Smeed and sail remarkably well -
way beyond their simple origins.  Paul

Davegn

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 10:39:42 am »

Thanks for the reply Paul.
I've had a reply very kindly offering me a scan of "simple model yachts" so I'll whittle my way through that for now. I was looking around for my next project when I stumbled on a few posts about the Starlet. It is a good looking yacht for a beginner like myself, with the added bonus of a wood kit from Belair which'll save some time, I hope to have this built by Christmas. It's just working out all the fittings etc, thankfully Nylet and pj sails etc have pictures ha ha.
Looking forward to getting started.
Dave

Mosfets

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 05:51:34 pm »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have been perusing many of its pages over the last few weeks, this thread has got me interested though as I have never built or sailed a model yacht.

It sounds like the Starlet may be a good model for a newbie and was wondering if I too could be cheeky and get a look at the build articles.

It looks like the plan is available for purchase but having a heads up as to whether it is something I could achieve would give me a head start before ordering the plan.

Thanks in anticipation.

Adrian

Davegn

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 08:56:13 pm »

Hi Adrian, PM me your email I'll try and send you what I can over the weekend.
I'm not that confident at building but I have built a 1 metre racing yacht that took me about 6 years. I'd build till I didn't understand where to go next, put it down for 12 months or so then start again freshly enthused. I joined a club in the end because I didn't even understand the terminology half the time!
The plans for the Starlet were from Sarik Hobbies and the wood kit from Belair kits.
I hope nobody minds me doing this, as I've only just got the info myself. (Tony & Ian) it's my turn to do some scanning.
Regards Dave

Mosfets

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 09:29:40 pm »

Thanks for the offer Dave, I have been offered a scan of 'Simple Model Yachts'. If there is anything extra to this that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian

Davegn

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 09:33:12 pm »

No mate that's what I was going to send you

Mosfets

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 09:47:51 pm »

Dave, [size=78%]Sarik Hobbies is where I saw the plan advertised, I will read the build notes and then decide whether to order them.[/size]

Do you know what servos are required for this model, I take it the sails will need some thing more powerful than standard gear?

Adrian

Davegn

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 11:29:53 am »

Hi Adrian
A normal servo will do for the rudder but the sails need a sail winch servo or a sail arm servo depending on how you plan to control things.
I'll email you later.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 05:52:50 pm »

The Component Shop do a range of KingWay winch servos , with various numbers of turns and torques. Should find something there to suit. Have a look here      http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Component-Shop/_i.html?_nkw=winch&submit=Search&_sid=68173889

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 11:24:40 am »

I would recommend a proper dedicated sail winch -
I was suprised how easily my smaller Starbaby's 'standard servo' modded to a lever arm winch was becoming over powered
in a good blow and required beefing up to a higher torque servo.

Mosfets

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 09:04:20 pm »

Thanks for the replies regarding using a sail winch.

Is there a way/formula to work out what winch to use with a particular sail size?

Adrian

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 10:42:53 pm »

Hi Mosfet, don't worry about it.  That size yacht the dedicated arm yacht winch is almost overkill.  There are some cheaper options on the 'net. 
You can use metal tooth servos but higher torque but only use the 180 degree options.  Anything from £6 - £11 and they are standard size.
Also Howes have multi-turn servos that will cope various numbers of turns are available.
Make sure that any sheets go through pulleys or inside bent tubes.
The receiver battery size at 2000m Ah will cope quite nicely.
Best of luck,
Roy

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 08:45:07 pm »

To put things in persepective my 36'' Starlet's main sail boom is 16'' long - nearly 2 inches longer than my 1 metre's A suit,
hence requires power to sheet-in in windy conditions.

I speak from bitter experience - sailing my SMALLER 28'' Starbaby on Southwolds sea front lake in a good blow,
with only one stock suit of sails ( unlike 1 metres etc where we resort to smaller sails as the wind strengthens ).

The wind completely overpowered the standard servo lever winch and banked the model into the lakes concrete sides,
I was not amused and opted for a high torque metal geared servo which is better but on the on the limit.

The bigger 36'' Starlet we are discussing here, has much more sail area and is a boxey heavy old gal,
they sail really well but require power to keep the mass in check on windy days.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 11:40:48 pm »

Hi Mr Zippy, that is very interesting what you say.  I clearly experience different wind conditions.  In the past I have sailed at Portishead and the wind off the sea is pretty ferocious.  I live just about as far from the sea as it is possible in the UK.  What you would consider as normal I may well decide was not for me.
I remember some harsh conditions on a large lake when I did fear for my boat, a Graupner Nordeney fishing boat similar in sail area to a Starlet.  I had an old Sanwa winch which still pulled in the sails but the wind (and water) could have overwhelmed the boat.
I have another just completed Gaff rigged boat a 30 inch hull and 515 square inches of sail, this has a relatively low powered servo probably 2 -3 times a standard one with a 4 inch arm, it copes by adjusting when tacking, but holds position.I am waiting for a 11 kgm 180 degree (standard size) servo to replace it.  The usual Hitec are too bulky for the yacht.

You mention you use a standard servo lever winch.  Is that a standard servo or a standard size servo?

I run some larger sailing boats and use a Hitec rotating winch in two of them and a smaller standard servo rotating drum in the 36 inch one, a Graupner Gracia, which just about copes.

I am just about to change the sail winch in my Inga IV which has a very old Century dual drum winch, it has enormous pull but imprecise positioning.  I have the choice of a Sanwa or Hitec arm winch or a Hitec drum winch.  Decision pending!

Pleased to hear your experience, and I agree local wind conditions have to be taken into account.
Best regards
Roy 

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 10:44:26 am »

My old Starlets hull is away in storage in another county, but here are some photographs of the newer Starbaby
that might be of interest to budding builders,
winch setup is a Hitec HS645M servo with ali lever arm - sheet bearings are plastic beads Araldited into place.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 10:59:32 am »

I find Fishing Tackle shops a great source for rigging items -
In the below photo the sheet outlet is an Ali tube routed from inside the cabin and exits through a
tiny white plastic PTFE carbon Roach Pole ferrule - push fitted into the Ali tube,
gives a nice soft slippery bearing exit for the cord, out of what otherwise would be the sharp end of the tube.

Also in the photo is a small fishing snap connector (looks similar to a Safety Pin)
I find very handy for attaching sheets to booms etc - rubber gromit stops cord from slipping off.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 11:10:08 am »

Starbaby with added details to help in the looks department.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 11:50:44 am »

A photo of my pal Tony's 'Gaff rigged' version of Starlet - (how are you Tony if you are reading this ?),
who was the inspiration for my building Starbaby after visiting his local Droitwich Spa Model Boat Club
where members race a fleet of Starbaby's, I believe Norwich Club also race Starlets ?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 12:07:10 pm »

Hi Mr Z, Vic Smeed would have been very pleased to know you were racing his Star Babys.  He designed it for our small boating lake at St. Albans and when I saw the first one (can't find a photo at the moment) I thought that should be gaff rigged.
I mentioned on another thread how it came to be with Traplet. 

The first one was built off plan before publication by another Vic, an ex-member of our club and Vic Smeed came down to see how she sailed.  I am told he was happy with her.

At one time we had a small fleet of Panache yachts, another free plan, and we used to compete with those.  I still have one, needs a bit of TLC at the moment.
I like your ferrule tip, I shall pop into the next fishing tackle shop I see, are they expensive?regards Roy

Mosfets

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 08:45:21 pm »

Thanks for all the information and photos.

I am going to have to order the plans to fully understand the build notes,  Sarik offer both sets and for some reason the Star Baby plan costs more than Starlet.

Thanks again

Adrian

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 10:27:13 am »

Hi Roy,
Wow your club was blessed !  I am huge Vic Smeed fan building his wonderful model aircraft and boats over the past 50 years,
the great grandaddy of our hobby.
Regrettably I've only had one short conversation with him at Old Warden when he would of been guessing in his 80's?
he was razor sharp, immaculately dressed a 'proper gent' a real force to be reckoned with,
it was instantly obvious why he was such a prolific model designer / builder/ author etc, a great man.

The fishing ferrules are 'Polemaster Super Slick Internal Bungee Bushes' available in many sizes
mine happen to be 2.3mm I.D 3.5mm O.D. a good push fit in K&S Ali tube - couple of quid from the local tackle shop.

Hi Mosfets the Starlet hull is simple bog standard 'hard chine' construction,
check any Vic Smeed H/C hull designs - cabin cruisers etc are all similar with ply bulkheads slotted onto ply keel,
spruce chine stringers (much easier to laminate 2 1/8 x 1/4 spruce strips rather than trying to bend a single 1/4 square),
structure is skinned with 1/16th ply and ply fin glued into a slot in the keel, ply deck and cabin.

Rigging is more interesting - local B&Q for your Ali mast & boom tubing (hopefully you can find a straight one),
I used small B&Q Ali channel section chopped around to make shroud plates and jib swivel mount but, these can be simple flat plate etc,
stainless wire for bending hooks (from PJ Sails or Nylet who also supply ready made hooks and fittings plus sails).

Keel lead bulb was master made from laminated balsa sheet, finished and painted then set in a shallow wood box
in plaster of paris allowed to dry producing a mould, lead roofing flashing sheet melted in a old sauce pan
on the electric cooker hob and poured into the casting box, guessing you may be buying one ready made.
Finishing etc your personal choice.

The mind boggles how companies come up with the pricing of model plans?,
I don't know the costs involved but you may well be better served buying the Belair kit - his products are good
(despite him nicking a photo of my Starbaby to front his advertising)
it will save many hours cutting out parts and guessing includes the plan??

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.