Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Photobucket - our photos held to ransom  (Read 149542 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Photobucket - your photos held to ransom
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2017, 11:42:48 pm »

Photobucket has been free for many years, I've been using it for at least 10

http://uk.pcmag.com/webcom/90124/news/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

Not Any More... <*<

Drop Box not charging but no longer allowing similar image sharing, Does all seem strange its the same date..

Kim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2017, 12:04:02 am »

It’s a funny old world we live in now …

We want everything instantly and for nothing preferably… thank you!

Host all my pics and publish them where ever I want … back in the day we had to pay for the negative to be produced… And didn’t moan till we had to get copies..

Give me a forum that I can air my voice, big myself up or slate a supplier, for nothing preferably…

Look in my boxes then say to my face I can get it cheaper on eBay from Germany …

And you wonder why there are no high street retailers…

You’d like to moan but only where you can for free…

Even Mayhem isn’t free to everybody…

A short  badly-rhyming poem by -
Kim

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2017, 02:38:30 am »

I agree, don't link your windows 10 computer to the cloud.
I built up a new computer and everything is fine.
A friend bought a new computer, and at sometime put in his Hotmail Password, and now does not know how to disconnect.

I have long advocated for posting images directly to a forum rather than photo hosts.
I have seen too many great build threads destroyed by ImageShack, or Photobucket when the hotlinks "time out".

PostImage.org is an option, but it is still a crap shoot as to when any image host may begin monetizing "their" data.

{:-{

missyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2017, 05:29:17 am »

Many of us use Photobucket to store the images we use to illustrate our postings on Mayhem.  There has previously not been a problem with this.  Their site is free for the purpose of storing images for sharing photos.

However, I have just received notification that they have changed their terms of service to disallow "3rd Party Hosting" unless you upgrade your previously free account to one costing $99.99 a year.

Does this mean that Photobucket will now pull the plug on any "member" that links their photos on Model Boat Mayhem unless they agree to pay almost a hundred US Dollars a year for the privilege?

Most of the photos on Mayhem could suddenly disappear ?

Its 39.99$ per month or 399.99$ per year for unlimited 3rd party hosting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:-o >:-o >:-o
Cheers
Danielle

All lost pictures of the N. Loredana ---> visit the following link:
https://nuovaloredana.imgur.com/all/
All pictures can be found on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/fvcorneliamarie
https://www.facebook.com/MpNuovaLoredana/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2017, 08:36:45 am »

I think the reasons for the changes we are seeing now are twofold.
Firstly, the original business cases for these photo hosting sites are no longer valid. The original business case could not have foreseen the growth of phones with good cameras and social media. I know people who upload, and share, more than 10 photos everyday. Not just weddings, birthdays, seasonal festivities, and holidays; but meals, the dog doing something daft, and what Fred is doing lakeside. The bandwidth usage must be many times that planned for. Maybe a 100 times.
Secondly, I doubt any company wanted to be the first to bite the bullet, but once one made the move others soon followed.

Just some speculation.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2017, 08:55:59 am »

I have concerns for Martin here, in fact we all should.
With these photo sharing sites effectively going into self destruct, what would happen to Mayhem's bandwidth if everyone (who could) upload their pictures directly to Mayhem instead?

I think we should each and all seriously consider donating significantly more towards the upkeep of this free site.
Otherwise we would not just lose our illustrations, but a serious risk of losing our means of communicating with each other.  Please think about it before dumping all your photos on Martin's server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PS:  I still can't get small photos to load on the Mayhem Post Message tool.  The attachment/s appear listed in the dialogue box, but when I try to Preview or Save I just get a red text message saying the content is "empty".
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2017, 09:30:55 am »

I agree to concern about the bandwidth here. What I do not know is how much of Martins bandwidth does it take to include an image hosted elsewhere on the page that I view.

If more members posting pictures to the site directly will significantly increase Martins bandwidth usage is a possible answer thumbnails so that we only see large versions of images that we actually want to view at that time rather than all of them? This seems to work well for RCGroups & others.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2017, 09:45:09 am »

I think Bob is right that this is a bit of a wake up call for Mayhem.

Posting photos directly on the website does push up the server storage enormously, and to some extent the bandwidth associated with transmitting the images. So hosting costs will increase significantly but it looks as if that is a bullet that will have to be bitten.

At the moment the site is owned and financed by Martin with annual top up appeals to members but none of us actually know what it costs or to what extent Martin is subsidising it from his own pocket.

It is no good saying ‘well, if everyone were to give £xxx that would keep everything running’ but it doesn’t work like that as members have differing degrees of ability and willingness to contribute. It would be much better if Martin were to adopt a ‘church restoration fund’ approach and to set a target of what he feels he needs to top up his own contribution, particularly now that it looks as if a lot more image storage space will be needed. He can show progress to target and people can keep chipping in until the target is reached. Any surplus can be set against the target for the following year. Does this sound like a plan?

As has already been said, Mayhem is 100% dependent upon Martin for its operation. There really does need to be some sort of contingency plan for someone to be able to take over should Martin become incapacitated in any way. People do fall ill and sometime they don’t see buses coming. None of us would want this to happen to Martin but there does need to be a continuity plan to protect the vast amount of data on this site.

Colin

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2017, 01:12:20 pm »

I've checked Mayhem and two other sites I post to. At the moment images are still displaying.

There always was a limit on the bandwidth Photobucket allowed, I posted about this some time ago when my images were being temporarily blocked till the 'meter' reset. This makes me wonder if the current restriction is not being applied universally but on a case by case basis when Photobucket registers activity. Who knows?

On the general subject of 'free' storage the most blatant example is that of Amazon. Purchase of a Kindle Fire came with a smallish allowance of storage. After a while they stopped usage of any unused space unless a storage plan was purchased. I should have complained to Trading Standards etc, as the storage was directly linked to a purchase, but my crusading days are over.

Facebook next?

Andy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2017, 04:32:21 pm »

Afternnon All  :-)

Internet Hosting companies don't seem  'that' bothered by bandwidth usage these days*, maybe because the internet has a much faster environment these days, it's the disk space & back end processing is now where the price hikes are.
( Well actually, they hike anything they can, they are non essential services commercial companies after all!! )

For quite some time now, we've been struggling showing photos on the Forum and management of all the files,  #.  Mayhem eats up about 15Gb server disk space and that excludes all the externally hosted photos, ( about another 10-20Gig! ). I've looked at and tried several options over the years, some more successful than others but some, I admit, have been the 'King Canute' mentality! ^ So I've been looking into Mayhem having it's own image hosting service, one that sits alongside Mayhem but separate to the Forum, (for control & management reasons).
One of the greatest benefits I'm hoping to achieve is   automatic photo uploading and resizing!  :o

A few 'doable' options have sprung up but with my lack of expertise in this area, it's a slow process and obviously, I don't want to jump out of the frying pan, into a game of two halves?!? BtDtGtTS! ~

Keep posting your thoughts and observations, as you can guess, a very interesting .... well for me anyway!  O0

Martin

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* they seem to like a lot of bandwidth going through there system..... "trending" & stuff like that ......  I think!

# just the sheer number and size of files that come out of cameras & phones these days it staggering, 10,000% increase in size in last 10 years. Mayhem stared off with just 10Meg!!!!!

^ not historically correct I know ... but come on,  give me a break! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Canute_and_the_waves

~ Been there, Done that, Got the T-shirt!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

missyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2017, 06:27:37 pm »

That would be fantastic .... a forum with its own picture server ....  :-))
Cheers
Danielle

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2017, 07:15:00 pm »

OK Martin , assess the up front and maintenance costs and we will fund raise for it I'm sure.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2017, 07:28:51 pm »

That would be fantastic .... a forum with its own picture server ....  :-))

I have absolutely no idea what this all means but does it have security/ hacker implications that can be sensibly dealt with?

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2017, 07:29:55 pm »

another forum I am on, when I mentioned the photobucket thing the admin stated that the forum took copies or hosted images and stored them locally - that forum also auto resizes the pictures, so it can be done if you know  how - me - he loses me in seconds once he starts getting technical.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2017, 08:27:11 pm »

I just looked this up regarding Paint shop pro7, which is Bob's image manipulating program, and people suggest that it has issues with Windows 10 suggesting that your attempts at attaching images may stem from this friction.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/jasc-paint-shop-pro-7-633462/

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/175653-Paint-Shop-Pro-7-not-working-correctly-after-Win-8-1-repair

It could be program bugs Bob (says he who knows the same about computers as Davinci did about jet turbines  {:-{    )
Pond weed is your enemy

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2017, 10:52:05 pm »

Interesting ... On another forum (for model engineering) PB is saying it is $300.00 per year to get the pics back.

I have been threatening for a while to stop all this digital and computer stuff. Now might be a good time as I feel these types of charges are just going to get worse. Next we will be charged per email.

Cheers

Tom

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2017, 10:59:52 pm »

Carrier pigeons will come back into fashion....

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2017, 11:07:40 pm »

I have absolutely no idea what this all means but does it have security/ hacker implications that can be sensibly dealt with?

This is usually handled at server level, I get the hosting company to handle security and viruses issues.

I just looked this up regarding Paint shop pro7, which is Bob's image manipulating program, and people suggest that it has issues with Windows 10 suggesting that your attempts at attaching images may stem from this friction.

I use Paint Shop Pro 7.04 all the time, on XP, 7 & 10, no issues at all, VERY fast and does everything I need!
Google's Picasa is also very good, retired now but still downloadable.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

missyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2017, 07:15:44 am »

Interesting ... On another forum (for model engineering) PB is saying it is $300.00 per year to get the pics back.

As written before its either 39.99$/Month or 399.99$/Year to have all 3rd party hosting visible again!
Cheers
Danielle

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2017, 11:10:17 am »

You can rent your own host server for less!   >:-o

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2017, 11:21:41 am »

If you did rent a host server could you get all the pictures that are presently hosted elsewhere that are not yet blocked or would the third party hosted images only start at the time of the rental commencing?

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2017, 05:36:18 pm »

Questions:  To those who have been able to upload an image direct on a Mayhem post ...

• Does the image appear in Preview?   ie: uploads to Mayhem straight away, the same as a hosted IMG link.

• Does the image only upload AFTER clicking Post.  ie:  Not possible to see in Preview.

• How long do you have to wait for it to appear?    ie: minutes or more, maybe having to refresh the page as well.
        With IMG links the image/s appear almost instantly, even in Preview

• How long after Saving do you get to be able to Modify the post.  I think it is only ten minutes.
    ie:  If you transfer the image/s successfully, how long to you get to compose a large amount of text to go in between the image/s.

• Can this be extended as I normally compose everything in Word, pasting in the image links, then copy/pasting it all into the Mayhem dialogue box, Preview to check everything OK + any edits, then clicking Post last.

( PS:  Yes, I do have a fast direct-connected Broadband connection )
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2017, 05:47:46 pm »

Questions:  To those who have been able to upload an image direct on a Mayhem post ...

• Does the image appear in Preview?   ie: uploads to Mayhem straight away, the same as a hosted IMG link. The image does not appear in Preview
  • Does the image only upload AFTER clicking Post.  ie:  Not possible to see in Preview. - Yes image only uploaded when you click post
  • How long do you have to wait for it to appear?    ie: minutes or more, maybe having to refresh the page as well. - Images appear when page is refreshed  when you press Post
        With IMG links the image/s appear almost instantly - would be the same if image saved on Mayhem server
  • How long after Saving do you get to be able to Modify the post.  I think it is only ten minutes. - Martin would need to answer that one
    ie:  If you transfer the image successfully, how long to you get to compose a large amount of text to go in between the image/s.
  • Can this be extended as I normally compose everything in Word, pasting in the image links, then copy/pasting it all into the Mayhem dialogue box, Preview to check everything OK + any edits, then clicking Post last. Martin would need to answer that one
( PS:  Yes, I do have a fast direct connected Broadband connection )

PS I have used a great hosting company for the last 10 years or so - I have multiple accounts with them - price is $60 per year and that gets you 1000MB disk space, 80GB monthly data transfer & 500MB email storage
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

T33cno

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2017, 05:57:27 pm »

My pictures show in preview and immediately always. I use SmugMug you get what you pay for.
Over around the last ten years I've posted thousands of pictures on various forums but when I die they will all disappear unless the subscription is renewed  {-)

No file size or upload limits at all

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2017, 05:59:31 pm »

Thank you C-3PO.  Straight answers are more helpful than previous "It works OK for me" comments.

OK, looks like the actual direct uploading of images linked to only happens when clicking "Post", and perhaps a "refresh" on the web page is needed too.  I am just trying to analyse why my images linked do not appear, bearing in mind the time period you can "Modify" in is relatively short.

I will have a look at SmugMug.  Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.