Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Photobucket - our photos held to ransom  (Read 149492 times)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Photobucket - your photos held to ransom
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2017, 06:19:25 pm »

To clarify - my understanding/experience is:

Mayhem hosted images only appear after they have been posted and not in preview as they have not yet been uploaded and are not yet stored on the Mayhem web host when you click preview

Third party hosted images appear in preview as they have already been uploaded and are already stored on a web host

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

T33cno

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2017, 06:22:47 pm »

:-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2017, 06:36:10 pm »

O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2017, 06:47:49 pm »

Thank you everyone.  That makes things clearer.

However, not wishing to overload Martin's server & bandwidth, I have found an acceptable alternative to Phtobucket.

SmugMug, as recommended by Mayhemer T33cno.  Yes there is a small monthly charge, but so far it seems to be able to store / organise / link my images into Mayhem just as the now defunct software used to do.
I don't mind paying £2.95 pm.  My images are pre-processed, small, and I only link a few per month so should not be a big deal to any hosting site. 

EXAMPLE:  (even shows in Preview)

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

T33cno

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2017, 06:51:19 pm »

Nice Bob  :-))

Mine is due for renewal soon and I expect equal to £40 for the year

EDIT
free trial and plan details.
https://www.smugmug.com/plans

EDIT I just found my invoice and at current exchange rate £46.57
EDIT I don't buy news papers and this is under £1 per week

EDIT its worth it

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2017, 07:01:57 pm »

Questions:  To those who have been able to upload an image direct on a Mayhem post ...

• How long after Saving do you get to be able to Modify the post.  I think it is only ten minutes.
    ie:  If you transfer the image/s successfully, how long to you get to compose a large amount of text to go in between the image/s. -
  • Can this be extended as I normally compose everything in Word, pasting in the image links, then copy/pasting it all into the Mayhem dialogue box, Preview to check everything OK + any edits, then clicking Post last.

1.  Maximum time after posting to allow edit  =  30 minutes. ( After that, just PM me!  :-)) )

2. Yes but it was disabled back in the bad old days or Mayhem 'flame wars'!
     Certain people made incendiary posts, Mayhem promptly broke out, the original post was then deleted or edited retrospectively.  >:-o

For Long Posts, I tend to use a word processor or email client to get the wording into nearly English, then copy and paste.
    For less frustration, I found short posts, even one post per photo is a lot easier manage.

NB: Looks Like I'll have to rebuild the Bismarck topic again... http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4024.0.html
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2017, 07:17:43 pm »

I usually find that the page updates each time I press the additional image button, if the previous images name vanishes it doesnt post, I do have issues posting from work, but that is due to the software that limits me to 30 minutes browsing on non work related sites.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2017, 07:18:43 pm »

Thanks Martin.  I was not sure how long we got for editing.
Not wanting to burden you with everyone loading their images direct, but I would ask Members to consider this when making donations to keep Mayhem running.  We all need to up our ante a bit.

In US Dollars SmugMug is 3.95 pm, or $47 pa.  No mention of VAT (so far).  Seems reasonable at approx. 35 Quid.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

T33cno

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2017, 07:21:05 pm »

Thanks Martin.  I was not sure how long we got for editing.
Not wanting to burden you with everyone loading their images direct, but I would ask Members to consider this when making donations to keep Mayhem running.  We all need to up our ante a bit.

In US Dollars SmugMug is 3.95 pm, or $47 pa.  No mention of VAT (so far).  Seems reasonable at approx. 35 Quid.

Believe me you will pay VAT too, it does say plus relevant taxes.

EDIT
I just checked my invoice and they've charged me as a power user which is INCORRECT. I hope they will re invoice me for the correct amount. Thank you Bob I never noticed

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2017, 07:35:36 pm »

My pictures show in preview and immediately always. I use SmugMug you get what you pay for.
Over around the last ten years I've posted thousands of pictures on various forums but when I die they will all disappear unless the subscription is renewed  {-)

I've email SmugMug  to see if they do a Forum interface......

T33cno

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2017, 07:37:11 pm »

I've email SmugMug  to see if they do a Forum interface......

They have a first class technical department so I hope they can help  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2017, 03:30:56 pm »

News on Photobucket:
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/photobucket-alternatives-for-third-party/

NB: I'm going to experiment with some photo hosting software this week..... so if Mayhem goes down, you'll know why!  {:-{

Yes, we do have a rolling daily backup regime.   :-))

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2017, 03:46:19 pm »

SmugMug T&C's - "caveat emptor"
5. Hyperlinks

You may create a text hyperlink to the Site, provided such link does not portray SmugMug or any of its Products or Services in a false, misleading, derogatory or otherwise defamatory manner.

This limited right may be revoked by SmugMug at any time.

You may not frame the Site or utilize framing techniques to enclose the Site, SmugMug Materials, SmugMug Marks or other proprietary information without SmugMug's express prior written consent.

https://www.smugmug.com/about/terms
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

T33cno

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2017, 03:55:00 pm »

When I choose to share a photograph of mine that I pay smug mug to save for me it offers me a list of sizes to choose from with the intention of sharing anywhere I choose so there is nothing clandestine about it

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2017, 08:09:59 pm »

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,58456.msg610396.html#msg610396
NB: Looks Like I'll have to rebuild the Bismarck topic again... http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4024.0.html

Now aren't (isn't)(wasn't) Photobucket just the pits !
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2017, 12:31:47 am »

I simply can't understand this.  %%

1/ Photobucket has been around for years, for free - or nearly free.
2/ Maybe a few users were 3rd-partying images to hugely popular websites. Most users, probably, had simply backed-up pictures of their cat.
3/ At a meeting the Men In Suits decided to make money because of this 3rd-partying.
4/ As a result, every user, without warning, was effectively sent a bill for $399 per annum.
5/ Chunks of the internet (Photobucket photographs on blogs and forums) break.

Did no-one at that meeting have the nerve to investigate or question the likely outcome?

At what point did the Men In Suits think this was a viable business proposal? The backlash has been obvious, and immense.

Users, many of them, have stated they would have paid 'a reasonable rate' for server space and bandwidth. Who decided $399 a year was realistic?

Putting on my finest tin-foil hat, this almost reads as if Photobucket is sick of the work it did, and has decided to leave the industry. I see that the company is privately owned, after Fox sold it out to a Seattle-based company a few years ago, so there's no way to see their shares free-fall, but there is no future for them. They've got two options:

A/ Fold.
B/ Back down - with the potential threat that they'll do this again.

In either option their user base are legging it. No-one would seriously put in an offer, any offer, to take this company over.

It is, by any rational investigation, an insane move.

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2017, 10:35:06 am »

Hi Andy - When we both have a few minutes spare in our lives, I am going to have to have a chat with you about the idea / method / how to of storing / hosting our photos on our website (or something similar - see? confused already!!!)

C

T33cno

« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2017, 10:52:53 am »

Best advice you can get from a most experienced forum owner !
Contact James/Jim Brown owner of the best most up to date forum in existence in U.K.
MotorhomeFun
Check it out I'm sure he can help
On that forum I can upload very large picture files direct from my phone camera as well as photo library so I have no need to host them myself

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2017, 10:59:22 am »

Best advice you can get from a most experienced forum owner !
Contact James/Jim Brown owner of the best most up to date forum in existence in U.K.
MotorhomeFun
Check it out I'm sure he can help
On that forum I can upload very large picture files direct from my phone camera as well as photo library so I have no need to host them myself

Ha ha...........not so sure I would be welcomed on there...  I hail from the 'dark side'.  Been tempted of late as a result of the mess that has happened though....

T33cno

« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2017, 11:04:28 am »

I'm Techno on both forums but dumped facts when the Canadians bought it.
Life member on Fun

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2017, 11:34:20 am »

I wonder if there has been some big court case where a photo sharing company got in trouble for unknowingly host illegal photos or the like.....?   {:-{

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2017, 12:15:32 pm »

I wonder if there has been some big court case where a photo sharing company got in trouble for unknowingly host illegal photos or the like.....?   {:-{

Copyright issues have a long history of legal cases but I haven't heard of anything particular recently - but there again I am not on anybody's hotline when such decisions are made. If this is the reason you would think that Photobucket would be shouting it from the rooftops as the way that they are handling things is not getting them very good press. How many of us would now trust them now even if we paid?

I do think that this is a wake up call however and it proves that just about anything on the cloud, or held by third parties, cannot be guaranteed. If you read the conditions of service of these companies most can do absolutely anything they like & there is nothing that any normal mortal can do about it.

T33cno

« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2017, 12:24:58 pm »

I joined SmugMug because at the time they backed up everything in 3 different servers in three different states. I'm sure that has not been degraded

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2017, 01:17:52 pm »

I joined SmugMug because at the time they backed up everything in 3 different servers in three different states. I'm sure that has not been degraded

Why are you convinced that SmugMug won't do exactly what Photobucket have done - particularly if they suddenly get an enormous number of forum photos which are accessed frequently?

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2017, 01:21:48 pm »

I simply can't understand this.  %%

1/ Photobucket has been around for years, for free - or nearly free.
2/ Maybe a few users were 3rd-partying images to hugely popular websites. Most users, probably, had simply backed-up pictures of their cat.
3/ At a meeting the Men In Suits decided to make money because of this 3rd-partying.
4/ As a result, every user, without warning, was effectively sent a bill for $399 per annum.
5/ Chunks of the internet (Photobucket photographs on blogs and forums) break.

Did no-one at that meeting have the nerve to investigate or question the likely outcome?

At what point did the Men In Suits think this was a viable business proposal? The backlash has been obvious, and immense.

Users, many of them, have stated they would have paid 'a reasonable rate' for server space and bandwidth. Who decided $399 a year was realistic?

Putting on my finest tin-foil hat, this almost reads as if Photobucket is sick of the work it did, and has decided to leave the industry. I see that the company is privately owned, after Fox sold it out to a Seattle-based company a few years ago, so there's no way to see their shares free-fall, but there is no future for them. They've got two options:

A/ Fold.
B/ Back down - with the potential threat that they'll do this again.

In either option their user base are legging it. No-one would seriously put in an offer, any offer, to take this company over.

It is, by any rational investigation, an insane move.

Andy

It's not insane at all. All the users of the service getting it for free were costing the business money. The storage, bandwidth and support costs still exist, there needs to be income to cover this. Some of that income came from advertising, but if a photo is linked from another site, no-one sees that advert yet there is still a bandwidth cost to serve up that photo and PhotoBucket has to pay this.

"Some" users might claim they will pay a "reasonable rate" but only until they are actually asked to put their hands in their pocket. As others have said, there are plenty of paid for services out there already. No matter how tiny the fee was, most people would mumble something and walk away in a huff.

Far from being an "insane move", unless your business model is to give away money, it's what they have to do. Ditching the people who are all cost and no income gives the only chance to turn a profit. As for other forums, well, that's not PhotoBucket's problem. If you have a problem with someone trying to make money then you could always set up a rival business. There is an opportunity for a company to offer easy transfer of pictures stored on Photobucket to a new free service.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.