Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Photobucket - our photos held to ransom  (Read 149485 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Photobucket - your photos held to ransom
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2017, 06:09:24 pm »

I need a photo for the test photo site.....

What is your favourite photo on Mayhem?

Copy / paste   or a link would be useful!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2017, 11:27:53 am »

Looking at this s/w ....

Chevereto Free is an application which allows you to setup your own image sharing website and our goal is to allow anyone in the world to host their own image sharing platform. We believe in build a real alternative for those who want a customized white-label image sharing service.

Admin panel
    Basic API
    Embed codes and sharing options
    File manager
    Flood protection
    Image resizing
    Multiple image upload
    Multiple languages available
    Private mode (password protected website)
    Small footprint
    Support for short url services
    Themes
    Watermarks

Martin - looks an interesting product - if your evaluation is successful would be worth appealing to Mayhem members for donations and going for the $68 version (£53)?

I presume you are thinking of hosting on the same server as Mayhem?

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2017, 12:06:29 pm »

Martin - looks an interesting product - if your evaluation is successful would be worth appealing to Mayhem members for donations and going for the $68 version (£53)?

I presume you are thinking of hosting on the same server as Mayhem?

C-3PO

Greetings  Cp30,

I have installed the Chevereto Free and getting a feel for it...
Documentation is good but not the best eg. Security and Privacy, some seemingly contradictory options the set up.  {:-{
Also, it does have auto image resizing but no settings for it!?!

M   %%
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2017, 02:03:24 pm »

Martin,

I think you may find lots of the global options are not accessed through user menus but require direct editing of the script files - this is a bit like tweaking Wordpress / CSS etc.

https://chevereto.com/community/threads/auto-image-width.1072/

Ok, open
upload.php and change this:
  PHP: $to_resize = $_POST['resize'];  To this:
  PHP: $to_resize = 300;  Where 300 is the desired forced width.

Now, open content/themes/Peafowl/index.php and remove this:
  HTML:
                <div id="resizing"> <div id="resizing-switch"><div><a><span><?php show_lang_txt('txt_resizing'); ?></span> <?php show_lang_txt('txt_resizing_explained'); ?></div></div> <div id="resizing-box"> <div id="resizing-it"> <div id="resize-width"><?php show_lang_txt('txt_resizing_width'); ?> <span><?php show_lang_txt('txt_resizing_pixels'); ?></span></div> <input type="text" id="resize" name="resize"/><div id="resize-keep">*<?php show_lang_txt('txt_resizing_keep'); ?></div> </div> </div> </div>

https://github.com/Chevereto/Chevereto-2.X/blob/master/chevereto/includes/config.php
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2017, 05:08:20 pm »

I am so pleased that it isn't me trying to sort this out - there would not be a forum.

Just to clarify if Martin goes for this:
1) who controls the image files & can they be accessed (& remain in the original postings where they were originally placed) if Chevereto have a mad moment?
2) how does this help with the 3rd party image holder problem? Would all image posts be held as part of this rather than a 3rd party like Photobucket?
3) For those who currently hold their images with 3rd parties & then link what happens?

Nor being awkward but would like to understand. I have looked at the Chevereto site but don't understand what I am reading.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2017, 05:30:20 pm »

I think the goal post (solution) is still moving ....

Martin is pouring energy into finding a solution ( and the vertical learning curve that goes with that - the biggest cost being his time) and once he has done that then questions could be answered or indeed Martin no doubt will explain the solution, the pros and cons and what's involved and how use it - and of course what the costs involved are - as even if the solution (scripts) are free the cost to both server storage and server traffic may not be.

Answering questions about a moving target will be a waste of everybody's time as the questions you are asking cannot be validated against the solution until it has been identified, understood, configured, trialled and evaluated - none of these are quick hits

So great questions - fully understand your rational but I think we all need to give Martin some space to work on the solution...

C-3PO

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2017, 05:32:41 pm »

1. If you create an account on our server, you control your own images, same as Photobucket, Flickr, etc. 
    ( The images won't be directly embedded in the posts, we haven't worked out those details yet. )

2. Chevereto is just a bit of software ( Like Windows or Chrome browser or Photoshop ), we load it up and everything
     runs on the Mayhem server, alongside the images. As long as Mayhem stays up, so will the images! '1st Party' hosting?!

2. As long as the 3rd party host stays up so will your photos ( unless they change there T&C again  >:-o  )

Everyone with Photobucket account can still access their photos, we'll just have to work out a way to transfer/move/
     giggery-poky them back to the correct posts!

Easy!   {:-{

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2017, 05:34:05 pm »

... and yes...   what CP30 said!   ok2

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2017, 06:40:24 pm »

Martin

I can only imagine how much time, effort, nail biting and chocolate biscuits this is all taking.

It sounds like what you are considering is a lot more tailorable than I had supposed.

I will shut up & let you get on with it.

Thank you.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2017, 07:07:42 pm »

Don't shut up .... otherwise I'm talking to myself!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2017, 07:21:30 pm »

Everyone with Photobucket account can still access their photos, we'll just have to work out a way to transfer/move/
     giggery-poky them back to the correct posts!

That sounds like unimaginable hours of hand editing.  I doubt if that will be possible, but if it can be achieved I would supply your chocolate bisquits for life !!!!
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2017, 07:38:24 pm »

2) how does this help with the 3rd party image holder problem? Would all image posts be held as part of this rather than a 3rd party like Photobucket?
3) For those who currently hold their images with 3rd parties & then link what happens?

This very quite Techie but makes interesting reading!! - https://chevereto.com/community/threads/photobucket-disaster-and-recovering-the-images-to-a-chevereto-website.8691/

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2017, 09:40:45 pm »

That sounds like unimaginable hours of hand editing.  I doubt if that will be possible, but if it can be achieved I would supply your chocolate bisquits for life !!!!

I would suggest that if you could upload your images with the original file name to a new on-line storage solution then either using server redirects or just amending the Mayhem database ( change the reference where the image is located) with a set of replace this with that using SQL ( which takes seconds ) would allow for a heavy demand on the chocolate biscuit supply :)

C-3PO

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2017, 10:21:03 pm »

Not sure if it is that simple as Photobucket adds a load of generated characters near the end of the file name.

Example:  One of my broken links

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n626/bobkiralfy/HMS%20Agincourt/linishing_zpspkcqzmoc.jpg

Where "HMS Agincourt" is the album name, and "linishing.jpg" is the filename.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2017, 06:20:33 am »

Bob,
Stripping the directory and filename out of those url links so long as they follow a consistent structure is easy. I did this as a quick hack in Excel - see image

I used these
http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/bobkiralfy/media/K%20Class/hull-join-2_zpsjbkiygdz.jpg.html
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n626/bobkiralfy/K%20Class/hull-holes-2_zpscerc2izp.jpg
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n626/bobkiralfy/K%20Class/hull-join-1_zpstouvbe3r.jpg

programmatically stripped out the names and got these

DIR    Filename
KClass    hull-join-2.jpg
KClass    hull-holes-2.jpg
KClass    hull-join-1.jpg

C-3PO

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2017, 09:48:55 am »

I would suggest that if you could upload your images with the original file name to a new on-line storage solution then either using server redirects or just amending the Mayhem database ( change the reference where the image is located) with a set of replace this with that using SQL ( which takes seconds ) would allow for a heavy demand on the chocolate biscuit supply :)

C-3PO

This does not apply to me as the images that I have put on the forum were posted to the forum but I am interested in the outcome  in general. I am struggling to understand what is going on here and in particular to what extent it is any sort of answer.

I read this as something that the individual has to do with their own images (post them elsewhere) - and then something that the forum has to do (redirects)  an something that somebody somewhere sometime has to do (stripping the directory & filename).

Do you think that this is realistic for the level of expertise of most individuals and the time that it would commit Martin to put in at the forum end. Is this a case of what is technically possible might well be practically impossible? To what extent is it a solution?

Is this anything other than an answer for a very few lost images with the majority of Photobucket hosted images still lost to the forum?

Please keep any answer simple! 

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2017, 10:57:16 am »

I think a working solution is achievable ...to be able to explain it in detail would require the solution to be ready to use.

I think the solution will involve some work from the individual - that might be a case of uploading images to a new server and then some work from Martin's HQ side to wave a magic wand and re index the images in the Mayhem database. This would be done using SQL ( Structured Query Language) which is the tool you use to manage data in a database. 

So trying to show what I am talking about - picture (excuse the pun) a database containing 100,000,000 records each with the word "there" and you want to change that all to "their" - you would create a script that updates all occurrences of there to their - run the script and all would be changed - the execution time would be a few tens of seconds to achieve this.

So imagine that a photo link stored in the Mayhem database for user "A" is http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/bobkiralfy/media/K%20Class/hull-join-2_zpsjbkiygdz.jpg.html

and you want it to be http://newimagestore.co.uk/user/bobkiralfy/media/KClass/hull-join-2.jpg you write the code to get the new URL and use SQL to update the record in the database to allow the post to retrieve the image from the new storage location. This could be run on tens of thousands of database records in seconds, only happens once to change the url for the image in the database.

The involvement of the owner of the images would not require them to understand anything technical that I am talking about - that side of things would be done for you by Martin running a script.

I also think that you may be able to disregard all I am typing as I think it's highly likely that images hosts - especially the one Marin is looking at will come up with an application to get the images out of Photobucket and stored nice and safe somewhere else and then with some clever jiggery pokey with a scripting language on the web server hey presto your images appear.

So I would suggest the future is bright - just that it's a moving target so it's difficult to be certain until some stakes are driven into the ground with a new solution.

Hope that answered your questions - these are my thoughts not Martin's so don't blame him if it doesn't work out.

C-3PO

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2017, 11:16:37 am »

I do understand that "%20" is a literal for a space character, and only used in some of my album names.
In general my "albums" are for a specific ship build, ie: One thread topic.

My file names for pictures are a descriptive title using "-" (minus) characters instead of spaces, so hopefully that should make successive parsing easier. 

Would it help if I created a text file with Photobucket files/s related to each topic, with post number ?

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2017, 11:24:35 am »

Too early to comment on this - sense we are trying to run before we can walk... - The key person in this is Martin and what he comes up with - I am just talking around the edges of what I know is possible from a techie point of view.

No need for a list of your files names - they are all sitting nicely in the Mayhem database and could be extracted using a SQL query with your Mayhem account ID as the key.

First point is for a new storage location to be "live" which Martin has posted he is evaluating.

I guess it would be neat to have a "guinea pig" to try out/ document switch over process - maybe you would be up for that Bob assuming Martin agrees

C-3PO

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2017, 11:36:43 am »

I guess it would be neat to have a "guinea pig" to try out/ document switch over process - maybe you would be up for that Bob assuming Martin agrees

C-3PO

I am game.  Anything to help the cause.   O0

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2017, 12:26:42 pm »

I think a working solution is achievable ...to be able to explain it in detail would require the solution to be ready to use.

I think the solution will involve some work from the individual - that might be a case of uploading images to a new server and then some work from Martin's HQ side to wave a magic wand and re index the images in the Mayhem database. This would be done using SQL ( Structured Query Language) which is the tool you use to manage data in a database. 

So trying to show what I am talking about - picture (excuse the pun) a database containing 100,000,000 records each with the word "there" and you want to change that all to "their" - you would create a script that updates all occurrences of there to their - run the script and all would be changed - the execution time would be a few tens of seconds to achieve this.

So imagine that a photo link stored in the Mayhem database for user "A" is http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/bobkiralfy/media/K%20Class/hull-join-2_zpsjbkiygdz.jpg.html

and you want it to be http://newimagestore.co.uk/user/bobkiralfy/media/KClass/hull-join-2.jpg you write the code to get the new URL and use SQL to update the record in the database to allow the post to retrieve the image from the new storage location. This could be run on tens of thousands of database records in seconds, only happens once to change the url for the image in the database.

The involvement of the owner of the images would not require them to understand anything technical that I am talking about - that side of things would be done for you by Martin running a script.

I also think that you may be able to disregard all I am typing as I think it's highly likely that images hosts - especially the one Marin is looking at will come up with an application to get the images out of Photobucket and stored nice and safe somewhere else and then with some clever jiggery pokey with a scripting language on the web server hey presto your images appear.

So I would suggest the future is bright - just that it's a moving target so it's difficult to be certain until some stakes are driven into the ground with a new solution.

Hope that answered your questions - these are my thoughts not Martin's so don't blame him if it doesn't work out.

C-3PO

Thank you for that - I know that all anyone has at the moment is "thoughts" and that these are not official thoughts.

It looks like the critical bits will end up being the time & effort Martin is willing/ able to put into this and the willingness of individuals to repost necessary images to a new server. I guess individuals will need to know which images they have posted to the forum unless the forum can tell them.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2017, 05:11:33 pm »

Thanks C3P0, it nice to have some real 'tech savvy' help for Mayhem!   O0

We looking at several options, surprisingly enough, cost isn't turning out to be the major issue!
Yes, cost, is a factor but from these discussions and a lot of research ( and obviously being sidetracked by many funny Utube videos ),

Reliability & Simplicity  are turning out to be the overriding consideration.

So at the moment, it's a matter of ruling options out , either because...
1. It doesn't do what we want it to do,
2. It's far too complicated,
3. It's way too expensive for what it is,
4. It looks unreliable / doggy,
5. It's just crap software!

We're well into the process of transition now and looking good!
  Again, many thanks to C3P0 for 'stepping up' to help with the tech stuff, much appreciated.   :-))

NB: Cheers BobK,
our solicitors or gangsters we will see you down a dark ally get in touch when we are
       ready
to do medical experiment on you  to test upload your photos!  ok2

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2017, 07:26:19 pm »

NB: Cheers BobK,
our solicitors or gangsters we will see you down a dark ally get in touch when we are
       ready
to do medical experiment on you  to test upload your photos!  ok2

Please go for it Martin.  Even if all it achieves is replacing the Photobucket Ransomware advert with a small black box with an "X" in it, that will be an advantage. 

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2017, 12:28:11 pm »

Finally got a ransomware email and now all my pics are gone on all forums.

Don't want to distract hard pressed key players from the main technical thrust, it is interesting stuff, but, I for one, would be happy to go in and hand edit at least some of my posts to direct links to the pictures with thumbnails or an index picture hosted on Mayhem. Is it possible to enable editing on older posts?

As an aside I notice that Photobucket seem to have disabled the bulk copy feature for URLs but it is still possible to copy individual links which work in a forum preview post.

Many thanks to Martin and others for burning the midnight oil on this.

Andy

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #199 on: July 10, 2017, 06:59:46 pm »

The only consolation is that many other forums have been affected by this and are working on solutions and it would be hoped that the best solutions would be shared between site owners.

Some  of them, like the photography forum I use, are, unless the PB situation changes, going to disable the PB links so that their ransom ads don't appear, host the photos on their own server and then make good the lost photos where ever possible. So similar  to what Martin is working on here.     

I don't use PB but one of my concerns is that due to their disgusting behaviour they go out of business very quickly and close down their servers before folks can access PB and sort out which photos are posted where and on what forums.

Whilst an extensive IT user I'm not a techie so my fears on that point may be unfounded.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.