Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Photobucket - our photos held to ransom  (Read 149482 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Photobucket - your photos held to ransom
« Reply #250 on: August 30, 2017, 04:56:18 am »

Cynical me.
I would expect at some stage for the other 'free' file sharing and cloud storage providers to do the same.  Although most of us do not share files (Dropbox, etc.) or have very large amounts of data on clouds, it would be worth considering an exit strategy for those of us who do.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: September 01, 2017, 06:38:37 am »

Gents,
I've not been following the thread to much, but on the Fleetscale forum from Kevin, there was this possible fix. Sorry if this has already been posted.

just found this I've just found out that there are plugins for Chrome and Firefox to circumvent the Photobucket restriction.[/size]If you install it in your browser, you should be able to see again the pictures that were blocked when Photobucket made its 'changes'.The links to the plugins are -Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ix/?src=searchChrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...flicjjgj?hl=en[/size]
Regards David

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: September 01, 2017, 10:54:40 am »

The Firefox add-on works !

I added the add-on into my Firefox browser.
Blocked pictures are now visible...........except for an odd one in someones signature.

Thankyou T888.
Bintur Ellenbach

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2017, 08:58:42 am »

I had an email notification that Martin had posted here. I thought this might be him telling us what to do next. But there is no new post. Have I missed something? Have you any news for us Martin?  I hope there is a solution to PB's ransom demand!

Greg

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2017, 09:45:46 pm »

I nearly had something worked out yesterday.... but I didn't in the end ..... after 6 faffing about!  >:-o

Needs a bit more tweaking!  ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #255 on: October 09, 2017, 11:45:58 am »

..... I've found out that there are plugins for Chrome and Firefox to circumvent the Photobucket restriction.
If you install it in your browser, you should be able to see again the pictures that were blocked when Photobucket made its 'changes'.The links to the plugins are -Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ix/?src=searchChrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...flicjjgj?hl=en

This Does Work ..... and seems to work Very Well!   :o
 We can use it to repost your Photobucket photos on the new Mayhem Images server.
 Anyone that has "lost" their images to the 'Photobucket ransom demand', post a link to your topic and I'll transfer them for you.

( Please post the proper Topic Page Link (URL) or copy the Full title of the topic..... don't make me have to search for hours! )
 (  ie. NOT; 'I posted something about a Tug last year, can you fix that Martin?' )    <*<
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: October 10, 2017, 02:18:09 pm »

Wow!  It does work, doesn't it?   :} :} :-)) :-))   I can see my pictures again!

Martin, the three build logs I have done are shown at the bottom of this message - can you reconstruct them for others who don't have the plug-ins or can I do something to sort things out?  (I also posted a couple of photos in the "Who's building what at the moment" thread, and there may be other PB-generated holes in that thread).  I appreciate you might have a few days/weeks/months of work ahead of you if you try and recover all the threads affected by the PB gangsters.  If I (and others) can do some self-help to move things along, then please let us know.  Thanks.

Greg

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: October 10, 2017, 03:03:43 pm »

Sorry guys, but I don't get it.  Are we saying that in order to get our Photobucket images back we have to switch from Internet Explorer to either Firefox or (?), then find an obscure plug-in for it?
I don't like Firefox as a browser, and even if some went to this then maybe only 5% of users could see the blocked images.  For all to see them we need a more universal solution, short of expecting Martin to do months of hand editing. 

Martin did briefly have an alternate version running with a new photo-uploading tool, but that has now gone.

PS:  I know exactly what images I have had destroyed, and exactly which threads and Post number for each.
However, counting them up there are far too many to expect anyone else to edit.  Is there any way we could be sent a compiled thread, so we could edit it and submit it back?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: October 10, 2017, 03:40:43 pm »

No, I don't think anyone is suggesting that Bob.  It just so happens that there are plug-ins for Firefox and Chrome (Google's browser) that somehow circumvent the PB block.  There may be a similar one for Explorer/Edge although Microsoft are usually a little slower to respond to these things than the independents.  And I think Martin is just about there with a universal fix, so hopefully everyone will see the piccies whatever browser they use.  :-))

Greg

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: October 10, 2017, 09:09:28 pm »

Sorry guys, but I don't get it.  Are we saying that in order to get our Photobucket images back we have to switch from Internet Explorer to either Firefox or (?), then find an obscure plug-in for it?
I don't like Firefox as a browser, and even if some went to this then maybe only 5% of users could see the blocked images.  For all to see them we need a more universal solution, short of expecting Martin to do months of hand editing. 

Martin did briefly have an alternate version running with a new photo-uploading tool, but that has now gone.

PS:  I know exactly what images I have had destroyed, and exactly which threads and Post number for each.
However, counting them up there are far too many to expect anyone else to edit.  Is there any way we could be sent a compiled thread, so we could edit it and submit it back?
Firefox plus the plugin is presumably just a tool to recover the images.  Once the images are recovered and safely stored where photobucket can no longer hold them to ransom, Firefox can be dispensed with.  Most PCs have an "uninstall" feature, and are quite capable of having more than one browser installed at any time.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: October 10, 2017, 09:42:26 pm »

Sorry, I still don't see how this can help - except for the very few who have both that browser AND the plug in.

If you right click over the Photobucket ransom advert (properties) you can see the full URL of the stored image.  In my case I know what the filename of that image is (without having to click over it), and have the original on my hard drive.  If I could edit that link on Mayhem I could easily replace the Photobucket advert for my original,  then everybody could see the original image.

I could write a log with the Mayhem URL of each of my affected posts, together with the filename of that picture.
If that could be made into a script to run by admin that could be the answer.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: October 11, 2017, 12:29:44 am »

It seems to me, that Bob is willing and capable of 'correcting' his threads by enabling images via direct insertion of those photos by himself, as should all other authors affected by their use of Photobucket.

However for that to happen, He, and others need their 'threads' to be live so he can go back through it to re-insert the images directly from his PC.

Thence everyone keeps using their systems as they are and all is back to normal before we fell into this 'photo' trap. Namely, not loading images from your PC.

With the utmost respect and to ease the burden such as unnecessary work etc, on Martin and the admin, it is my opinion that those threads that cannot be corrected by their authors should be deleted to free up space and bandwith etc, and let Martin get back to running the site and having a life. It is not Martin's problem to fix.

We don't need an alternative to bucket or whatever. Because at the end of the day it can happen again with any of the so called freebies. If you take the punt it's your problem fix it. So follow Bob's lead and step up to the plate.

The facility already exists and has been so, to upload Photos.

As an aside there are warning now being issued that the next 'disaster' to occur is to those that use the 'cloud' and that will not be recoverable!

Calling a spade a spade is not palatable but someone has to say so. Let Martin get back to doing what he does best running Mayhem, not fixing others disasters.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #262 on: October 11, 2017, 01:56:47 pm »

Afternoon All!

1.  The Browser 'Photobucker fix', is just so that you can "see" your photobucket photos in the relevant post so you know what goes where.

2.  Yes we now have a 'Mayhem Image server', Bob tied a 'blind' test (no instructions) but had some issues.
     ( couple more testers required please, PM me )

3.  The 'Mayhem Image server' will exist as long as ModelBoatMayhem exist as we own both services.

4.  Re-attaching photobucket photos to post, although a little time consuming, is relatively easy.
     ( I'm not expect loads of Topics that need to be reworked.... )

5.  The only way to allow Mayhemers to re-edit their old posts it to unlock all post from the beginning of time.

6.  The [new] 'Mayhem Image server' will allow "easy" upload, resize and embedding anywhere in your posts
      ... which we've all been moaning about since day two of Mayhem!!

Sample from our 'Mayhem Image server',

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #263 on: October 11, 2017, 05:56:19 pm »

Martin.

Am I missing something ?  where do I access this upload facility with the size adjusting ability ? I tried an upload using the attachment on the reply box and it told me the attachment was too large   .. Help please.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: October 11, 2017, 06:04:51 pm »

From Martin's post above it would seem that it is still being tested. In the meantime the old system applies.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #265 on: October 11, 2017, 06:25:11 pm »

O0

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: October 11, 2017, 08:10:37 pm »

Great but I am having trouble, Using the microsoft resizer in windows 10, I am resizing to "small" 800x600 but the post box is saying the image size is too large.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: October 11, 2017, 08:15:34 pm »

800x600 can still be too large if there is a lot of detail in the image. You need to check the actual image size as 300kb is the limit. Keep reducing until you get below 300kb.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: October 11, 2017, 08:55:39 pm »

Hi Colin.
 what resizer will give me this option  ?   The ones I have been looking at only give you large med small and no option for anything else and do not let you define the file size.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: October 11, 2017, 09:04:39 pm »

I use Light Image Resizer http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-software/light-image-resizer/ but there are plenty of others. You might need to try the various options to get the desired file size,

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2017, 09:06:24 pm »

I use Paint Shop Pro 7 (free) and aim for a maximum length (OR width) of 640 pixels.  Even with a bit of sharpness enhancement it has not failed yet.   640 is a good size that fits in the browser window (non full screen) and gives plenty of detail.  No point in trying to cram too many pixels anyway as your screen resolution has limits too.

Just check out Martin's excellent photos on the forum.  Great quality, and well within the size bounds.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:41 pm »

Got their in the end but a bit of a kerfuffle. Could not work out where resizer was parking the reduced images.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2017, 10:47:48 am »

I just use an XP powertool image resizer, just right click the image and click resize, and a dialog box pops up, and saves the image as " image name (small)" in the same folder, it has worked since xp and still works in windows 10.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #273 on: October 12, 2017, 11:32:58 am »

Dear Mods,
Please correct the typo in the Subject - it's starting to hurt my eyes :-)
Thanks,
Charlie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2017, 12:42:01 pm »

Topic renamed   :embarrassed:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 22 queries.