Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humbrol Clear Matt Varnish  (Read 2655 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Humbrol Clear Matt Varnish
« on: June 30, 2017, 07:17:22 pm »

OK following on from my metal color topic, I also bought a 125ml bottle of this product-great it will do the full ship once pushed through my spray gun.

HOWEVER, having read the label it seems this stuff is no longer enamel based but is water based - clean brushes in water says the label. Now my problem is going to be, is the stuff waterproof when dry?

Has anyone used it at all? I checked the Humbrol site and no mention of being immersible in water, I've checked half a dozen plastic model sites and its not mentioned on any of them either, just a lot of talk about it 'blooming' in humid atmospheres when applied.

So has anyone used it on a ship and can offer advice?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Humbrol Clear Matt Varnish
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 07:54:37 pm »

Personally I wouldn't use it for wet surfaces. Stick to a traditional solvent based polyurethane varnish such as Ronseal Mattcoat. Rustins and Blackfriar do similar products but you won't find these in your local B&Q. A local ironmongers is the place to look.

Colin

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 11:18:04 pm »

Put it in the bin!
It doesn't work, it blooms EVERY time. I have tried spraying it, brushing it, thinning it, useless, and I was looking forward to this stuff hitting the market. I have only used and tested product from the first batch that came out, so things may have improved, but is it worth the risk.  My thoughts, there may be ten times the matting agent needed mixed in to it, just an observation based on my testing.
Try Humbrol Mattcote instead, this is enamel based, it can be a pig to stir all the sediment into suspension, but it seems to be a more reliable option. Also, thinning with a decent spray thinner, even for brush work, is very effective.
Also, I can confirm the Ronseal Mattcoat as being very effective, as Colin says, local ironmongers rather than the big DIY stores seem the best sources for this.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 07:45:36 am »

I have used Humbrol mattcote enamel based varnish many times with no problems. Mattcote  comes in small glass bottles prior to use leave in a warm area makes stirring easier. This product also comes in gloss and satin and can be inter mixed.

Stan

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 07:23:14 pm »

Cheers guys.....Ironmongers {-) {-) {-) {-) this is Spain don't ya know! Ferreteria's (ironmongers ) don't stock much in the way of paint products, you have to go to a Pinteria for such stuff. Spain is very protective of its individual sales outlets, they don't tread on each others toes.

I'll go back to the model shop during the week and see if I can get a couple jars of the matt cote instead

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 08:35:00 pm »

I have found that Humbrol's matt products tend to be more likely to mist as they get older once some of the solvent/liquer has evaporated. I ruined a model Kubelwagen years back and had to re-varnish with Humbrol 49 from a tinlet. As previously mentioned, this needs lots and lots of stirring. Get a cocktail stirrer, they are the tool of the moment for modellers in many
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 08:40:06 am »

I already have two coffee frothers mate, I think they work on the same principle :embarrassed: I took the whisk spring off the end to stop it aerating the paint.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 05:25:54 pm »

Good idea Brian. You do not want a Humbrol Latte. Are the frothers/mixers the same or slightly different? If one is larger it would be good for larger pots of paint saving motor wear on the smaller one.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 07:14:43 pm »

Not sure mate, they take 2 AA in the handle part with a slide switch on it. The whisk parts is a single wire with a 90 degree bend at the tip, overall the wire is around 75/100mm long with the bend part about 20mm - the spring taken off. The bendy part just fits inside a Humbrol tinlet.

By trial and error %) I have found its best to put the tip in the paint before turning on and turn off and let it stop before removing %%
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.