Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Langley CV-1  (Read 19149 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: U.S.S. Langley CV-1
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2017, 11:31:47 pm »

I can hear them coooing 'Where the heck are we? where the heck are we?'   :}

I do like the modular superstructures, the whole design still looks very temporary I still feel that the accountants of the navy were waiting to put her up for sale when the carrier experiment failed and didn't want the superstructures to encumber her resale value too much!

The Funnel system looks amazing. You can see where later side exhaust systems got their inspiration even if they did not swivel.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2017, 01:34:32 am »

It is funny, the things they did and one of the exc.s having to live in a chicken coop.... {-) .  Well, the Langley was later coverted into a Seaplane Tender, they removed half the deck.  Didn't have to worry about resale, as sadly, she was shelled, took a bad list and they had to sink her (I think that is the story, don't quote me).  Yes, the stack venting arriagment was a developed process indeed, the Lexington, which was the next and very first aircraft carrier the Navy built from the keel up, had a huge stack structure on an island.  Oddly, the very next class of carrier, was the Ranger CV-4 and she had six swiveling stacks, 3 to a side. Similar to the Langley.  Of note, the Lexi started the island arraigment.  I have the kit of the Lexi as my next build and have advanced ordered the Ranger as my 3rd. Not sure how far I'm going to get, all at 1/350 scale.  I am in to the girder structure now and it is going to be interesting sorting it all  out.  Huge amount of iron work as you folks will soon see.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2017, 04:18:24 am »

Ok, the ironwork begins. there will be a total of 13 "U" shaped supports, plus spacers and other supports in between.  The PE is very high quality and is nice to work with. Just the right thickness for stiffness, although some things like railings are so thin that you can bend them by blowing.  Great fun.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2017, 04:18:53 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2017, 09:20:42 pm »

Wow! They look so intricate, and then you remember they are for a 1:350th scale model, so are minute  %% Go careful with all that you do with them.

This is going to be a beautiful model.

Regarding the Lexi, she and her sister were laid down as Battlecruisers, would this have dictated the need for a stack structure or do you think the designers were trying ideas out?

It is all very interesting.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2017, 10:28:29 pm »

Your questions made me go back and look at the "Lady Lexi"'s history.  True, both she and her sister ship the Saratoga were initially laid down as Battlecruisers, but due to treaty, were scrapped as such.  Hence, the Lexi was  built as an aircraft carrier, retaining the battlecruisers hull.  Her stack was a new idea for the Navy designers and I suppose, as a first crack, she was built rather large to accomodate her stacks.  I got myself confused with the USS Ranger CV-4 which was the very first Navy aircraft carrier to be built from the keel up as such.  She was smaller and originally was not going to have an island.  Her stacks, as I mentioned before were much like the Langley's, pivoting on both sides for this ship.  Later classes went for the island stack arraigment for more modern carriers.  Funny how it all evolves.  I have mounted my first support structure, whiich is the "key" support that all the others will reference to for placement along the hull fore and aft.  Pics soon.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2017, 04:57:30 am »

Ironwork is moving along. Seems to be fitting together pretty well. Some areas of the resin hull casting is not true and the PE is, so some fitting is required..too small to force it, it has to fit.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2017, 04:57:59 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2017, 04:58:23 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2017, 08:19:09 pm »

I love the early carriers of thoe nations who bilt them, as they had such interesting support systems for the flight decks.

The Glorious' and other WW1 carriers with the intricate plate and lattice supports along the sides and the Japanese carrier that has the pair of lattice struts at the front. WW2 carriers seem quite plain and smooth in comparison.

Again that etch is amazing for the scale.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2017, 10:38:35 pm »

I agree.  This PE is amazing stuff. Sure didn't have this tech when I was a kid modeling. Times have changed and I am not complaining.  It is getting more expensive though.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2017, 04:59:30 am »

Elevator going in.  Nothing in plans or instructions on how to install, so using old photos and a best guess, I mounted 4 vertical rods that went through eyelets provided on the platform.  Placed the elevator about half way up and instead of a bottle of paint, I will place one of the aircraft on it.  I inserted a block under to get my height and then placed the bottle on top to secure it temp while the glue dries.  Looks like it will work. Rods will be painted black.  It is amazing how strong this miniscule structure really is and a testiment to the design itself.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2017, 10:18:00 pm »

Brilliant as per usual Dennis  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2017, 05:37:33 am »

More interior detail.  Aft motorized overhead crane installed, 3 aircraft attached, one on elevator, other two aft on top of storage space hatches.  Detail is crazy at this point and hard to get good photos.  When the deck goes on, it will be like putting a lid on things.  Good thing the sides are open.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2017, 05:38:04 am »

more.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2017, 07:12:31 am »

Dennis,

Excellent work hope your enjoying the intricate detailing!

Rich
Regards,

Rich

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2017, 02:30:35 pm »

Thank you, I am enjoying this.  Probably one of the most challenging builds for me to date.... plus, I'm 72 and fighting cancer and I can still do this!  Its a real blessing to me. Wife just smiles and says "keep building".  Dennis

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2017, 05:59:26 pm »

Dennis,

Wishing you a speedy recovery and successful completion of your model.

Best regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2017, 09:02:32 pm »

Amen. Get yourself fit as a fiddle as we want to see loads more of this quality and enjoyable work  ok2 I know its a personal battle with help from family and the medical staff, but say if you need a hand with anything.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2017, 12:56:52 am »

Thanks so much for the kind words and thoughts.  Just saw my Oncologist and things look stable.  upcoming CT scan Sept. 1 will see what is going on inside.  I don't feel so bad and seriously, the model making gives me a real focus and lift and I'm so happy I can still do it.  Just a few more frames and I'll be looking to mount the deck.  Model is very close to completion, two more kits are in the wings just waiting (like a kid in a candy store). Cheers! O0

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2017, 05:56:18 am »

Rail work is going in.  So thin and fine, one burp and you bend things... very delicate PE.  This area is where a boat launch will be mounted at some point.  Cleaning and painting yet to do here.  Dennis

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2017, 07:20:32 am »

That P.E. looks really amazing, especially at that scale. Painting it must be almost as hard as forming it to shape.
Such a pity that most of this wonderful detail will be hidden when the flight deck goes on.
I always lover your builds.  Sincerely concerned about your medical tests.  Hope all goes well for you.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2017, 02:38:51 pm »

Thank you Bob.  The detail in this case can still be seen once the flight deck goes on, as it is on the outside mostly.  One will have to look within to see things inside.  It reminds me of Easter eggs when I was a little one, that were candy and hollow inside with small scenes inside.. I could look at them for hours.  Actually, this could be an absolutely stunning model at 1/200 or larger.  Thankful for each day given. Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2017, 10:09:43 pm »

Been busy with ships boats.  Man, lots of painting to get those little guys right.  Started mounting today.  Yes, it is true that once the deck goes on.  It will take a keen eye and close up viewing to see whats going on below that flat top.  However, with those open sides, one can get a good look inside compared to later carrier design.  The kit of the USS Ranger CV-4 is now on its way.  That means I will have two carriers in the cue to build.  Better get busy here.  Oh, I did order an acrylic case from JDisplay Cases in Ohio.  Nice folks at fair prices.  I just ordered the case without base, as I will make my own wood base.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2017, 10:10:08 pm »

more.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.