Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Langley CV-1  (Read 19138 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: U.S.S. Langley CV-1
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2017, 05:09:27 pm »

I can understand why they did this if a parsimonious Navy department wanted to minimise cost and keep a valuable cargo ship as re-convertable as possible, just in case these aircraft carrier things were a fad!! Otherwise, it is a slow old process even with quick release attachment points for wings etc.

What an interesting project Dennis! I like the aircraft, what are the second type? Boeings??
Pond weed is your enemy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2017, 08:13:42 pm »

No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2017, 10:10:54 pm »

Yes, thank you so much.  Very helpful.  Detail on that model goes beyond what the kit shows.  I was able to print out the pictures for reference.  It appears they just used the main deck as a walk-around and set the aircraft on top of the hold covers, or not when stowed below.  They had good ventilation on the hanger deck, I can say that.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 03:44:24 am »

Last squad of eight Curtis Hawk FBC aircraft nearing completion, then i can move on to the hull work.  These little devils are two parts of resin cast (not that great I might add), two PE wing supports, two wheel supports PE, one propeller PE, I had to scratch build the wire wheel supports and make the tires.  Painting was several coats of grey, yellow, red and black, sliver on the props.  Decals on wing tops (was a second decal of red dot that went over the star, this time I painted a red dot.. why didn't I do that on the others??).  I tried numbers on the hull from my decal sheet, both sides of the fuse.  I refuse to add them on the others.  These airplanes have taken me about two weeks, just to get them out.  I have no clue what I am in for once I get in to the deck support structure.  If I start drinking,  I will lose my manual dexterity and thats not good.  I love my job. {:-{   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2017, 02:22:04 am »

Well folks, the aircraft are finished finally.  I have 3 squads, a total of 25 planes to clutter the flight deck or whatever I choose to do.  The aircraft breakdown is as follows: (9) Boeing F2B-1, (8) Vaught O2U, (8) Curtis Hawk F6C's.  I am now moving on to the hull work. Lots of cleanup of flash, drilling out ports, adding prop shafts, bilge stringers, rudder, before the ironwork begins.  At last!  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2017, 02:22:36 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2017, 02:23:12 am »

more.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2017, 11:17:43 am »

Beautiful ............   :-))

What patience you have.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2017, 12:45:08 pm »

Denis.  I really love following your intricate builds.  However on this one I am trying to figure out just how tiny those planes really are.  I am guessing the squares on your cutting board may be half an inch as you based in Washington (ours in the UK are 1 cm squares).  Either way they look SO small.

Lovely work   :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2017, 02:19:03 pm »

Thankyou gentlemen.  Yes, the scale is very small... 1/350...   The average wingspan is 27mm.  In US terms, those squares on my cutting board are 1 inch.  They appear smaller in the photo due to distortion.  I am building at this scale to try to reduce the model size as I'm running out of room in my home for all the model cases I have produced.  Now with the crazy plan of building a model example of each US Navy class of carrier, I think I still have a dillema for space.  Maybe I should move down to 1/700 scale  {:-{ .  I have seen many fine examples of highly detailed models at that scale.  I can barely handle the scale I'm working at now.  Rudder has been mounted and bottom faired.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2017, 08:30:39 pm »

Stick to 1:350th and just pace yourself.
Pond weed is your enemy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2017, 09:42:04 am »

Thankyou gentlemen.  Yes, the scale is very small... 1/350...   The average wingspan is 27mm.  In US terms, those squares on my cutting board are 1 inch.  They appear smaller in the photo due to distortion.  I am building at this scale to try to reduce the model size as I'm running out of room in my home for all the model cases I have produced.  Now with the crazy plan of building a model example of each US Navy class of carrier, I think I still have a dillema for space.  Maybe I should move down to 1/700 scale  {:-{ .  I have seen many fine examples of highly detailed models at that scale.  I can barely handle the scale I'm working at now.  Rudder has been mounted and bottom faired.  Dennis

I thought that when I moved from HO railroads to Z gauge and realised that I should gone in the other direction to O gauge, if only for the sake of my eyesight.  You're doing a grand job, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished carrier. I hope you're going to have a go at USS Wolverine, the Great Lake paddle steamer carrier, some time.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2017, 02:58:18 pm »

Yes, I know about "N" scale RR.  And, I had not heard about the USS Wolverine.... wow.. a paddel wheel carrier.  Wild.  No.  I will be trying to stick to the major classess of US carriers... I think.  Dennis

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2017, 09:59:37 pm »

There were two paddle wheel carriers in the Great lakes, USS Wollverine and USS Sable, they were converted pleasure craft and were used for landing and take off training.

https://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=867

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2017, 10:36:08 pm »

Ok, Props and Shafts, Bilge Keels and final hull paint is on.  Working on Pilot house and funnel ducting now.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2017, 10:36:33 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2017, 10:37:03 pm »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2017, 09:00:25 pm »

For a moment I forgot the kit was 1:350th, and being amazed at the sheer thickness of the timbers your cradle is made of! Lovely work as per usual Dennis  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2017, 12:08:55 am »

:-) ..... I never thought of that!  I use that same cradle for a number of builds... its a bit over-done for this, but it gets the job done.  Busy painting on the hull... lots to do.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2017, 04:24:01 am »

I thought I'd better get a shot of the funnel and stack arraigment on this ship.  Interesting plumbing I'd say.   The stacks were designed to be lowered for flight ops and raised for steaming.  I chose to place them at a mid point angle for interest.  There is a cover that will go over this assembly and then of course the flight deck and you will  not be able to see it.  Now we know!  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2017, 04:24:38 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2017, 08:39:00 pm »

I hope the journals on the rotating elements were tight or leakage could make parts of the flight deck uncomfortable  {:-{
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2017, 10:24:58 pm »

At last, the hull is painted, all parts added, prior to adding the ironwork support system.  This will all be PE and will be labor entensive, so bare with me as we trudge along, but should prove to be very interesting.  A side note of history.  If you look closely at the stern shot, there is a small cabin like structure that has two search lights on top.  The story is that was a pigeon coop to house the currier pigeons used for communication.  They were supposed to be "homing" pigeons.  Well, when they released the birds the very first day, they all flew away, never to be seen again. That ended that grand idea and the building was turned into one of the officers quarters.  Somehow, is that where the term "poop deck" came from?  Seriously, I think not  :(( .  Stay tuned.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2017, 10:25:30 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2017, 10:30:28 pm »

Here is a closer shot of that "pigeon coop".  D.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.