Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Langley CV-1  (Read 19141 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Langley CV-1
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2017, 10:10:36 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2017, 01:59:54 am »

Just to give you folks a feel for scale here.  I'm gluing a block and tackle to one of the dinks, holding it there until the glue sets.  These 72 yr old hands can still do it.
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2017, 02:00:19 am »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2017, 05:45:41 pm »

I think we saluted you doing all those etched frameworks without crushing them Dennis, so these are yet another triumph for 75 year old hands  O0

Lovely work as per usual  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2017, 06:14:45 pm »

I think we saluted you doing all those etched frameworks without crushing them Dennis, so these are yet another triumph for 75 year old hands  O0

Lovely work as per usual  :-))

How dare you!  Dennis is a mere 72! 

And I wish I had his hands when I'm trying to do those fiddly little bits.  O0

Splendid work Dennis.  I'm following along with great pleasure.

Greg

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2017, 06:38:57 pm »

Sorry Dennis, I will un-age you by three years  :embarrassed:
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2017, 04:16:19 am »

Then suddenly, the deck is on...... big milestone, as we head for the finish line.  I have a surpize for the ending for you folks, hope you like it.. hope it works..... {:-{  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2017, 04:16:47 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2017, 04:17:20 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2017, 02:52:45 am »

My dad always used to say. "If you put enough horsepower to it, you can make a barndoor fly".... will here is proof I guess, but in a very tiny scale.  We have lift-off.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2017, 02:53:14 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2017, 02:53:40 am »

more.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2017, 05:57:16 am »

Coming along nicely, am tempted with a flat top myself!

Regards,

Rich

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2017, 07:23:07 am »

Awesome work Dennis.  It is all so tiny.  Beautiful  :-))
The little plane taking off is a nice dynamic touch.
And you are only a year older than me.  Looking forward to your next carrier project.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2017, 02:29:42 pm »

Thankyou gentlemen,  its all so much fun really.  I have to find out if the catapults used were steam or what.  My daughter suggested using thin cotton strans to cover the wire and make it appear as smoke or steam trailing behind the aircraft.  Not so sure how that would look... thinking about it.  All the old motion pictures I've been able to find do not show steam evidence.  that was the lightest guage wire I could use that would support the weight.  We are getting close to the finish on the build.  I have ordered the case and will start working on the base today... I need to get this guy mounted... its time.  Next project is Trumpeter's Lexington CV-2.  Same scale, but she was a larger ship, hence, bigger model.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2017, 02:44:22 pm »

Its a huge jump in all factors from CV1 to the CV2 and will be interesting to see the models near each other just to gauge the quantum leap in dimentions!

A little cotton wool (wadding in the US?) teased out and varnished like those artists who create the nautical dioramas do would make a nice touch but only if there was a steam catapult. If not, creating the effect of having a plane take off is enough to capture the feeling of a carrier in action. Another way (assuming she had arrestor wires) is to have a plane mid bounce held up by one of the wires under tension. This could be a single strand of wire bent together, that bit sruck into a small hole where the arrestor hook would be and then to two ends bent out to form the wire.

Saying all that, she probably didn't have arrestors!

She is a lovely model and well demonstrates some advanced etching skills and modelling Dennis  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2017, 02:47:17 pm »

I'm not sure the Langley had catapults - too early. They were a British development after WWII necessitated by the heavier jets replacing older aircraft.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2017, 03:16:12 pm »

The Langley did have catapults, as to wither they were steam is in question.  I watched one old film clip that showed a seaplane being launched on a sled via catapult... very slow and no signs of steam.  Maybe cables and weights??  True, it appears that many of the launches I watched on film were free takeoff into the wind.  I may just paint the wire the same brown color as the deck and hope for the best.  tks for the suggestions.  Dennis

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2017, 04:10:37 pm »

Checking one of my books it states that she did have cats ( two 60ft cats) primarily for launching float planes but didn't say their motive power, the book does not mention steam so I suspect, as you say, the cats used another method of power.

The book also states that she had transverse and longitudinal (sic) arrestor wires.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2017, 11:23:43 pm »

A very challenging subject in any scale. The one you have chosen is all the more so. What do you take to keep those hands steady... I am a decade less and mine shake a flag in the wind... Langley did have catapults but I believe that they were mechanical rather than steam or hydraulic. I can check Norman Friedman's history on US carriers if you like, but I believe you would be safe to exclude steam from showing.
Beautiful work.
Jonathan

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2017, 02:03:20 am »

Thankyou Jonathan.... I tend to agree that they were mechanical and hence, will not worry about steam or smoke for that matter.  I have seen static smoke done very effectively with cotton I believe.  The movie pictures I have seen of these old carriers really pump out tons of black smoke.  The Lexington I will be building next had a huge stack just aft of the main island and she made a natural smoke screen when she poured the coal on.  I give my steady hands as a gift from the good Lord is all I'll say.  For those of you folks who have expressed concern for my well-being, I just got ther results from my latest CT scan and all is well inside, everything is "stable"... doctors are happy and I'm happy  :-)   My motto: "Build On"... so, get busy gentlemen, so little time, so much to do.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2017, 02:16:15 pm »

I am so pleased to hear that Dennis  :-)) Keep up the good fight and you will have the whole US carrier history built and painted in no time  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2017, 02:23:31 pm »

Steam Catapults were introduced post war by the Royal Navy around the same time as the angled flight deck.  Pre war catapults aboard American ships were either hydraulic or gunpowder. 
 (Quote)   " On 14 December 1924, a Martin MO-1 observation plane flown by Lt. L. C. Hayden was launched from USS Langley using a catapult powered by gunpowder."
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2017, 02:45:32 pm »

The Indianapolis, US Navy Cruiser used gun powder for its catapults... could accellerate aircraft to flight speed in 30ft.  Pilots said it was like being shot from a cannon... :D .  I was stationed aboard the USS Ranger CV-61 in 69.  My sleeping rack was directly below the port main catapult, just feet from the "end" of the tube... the catapult cylinder hit a column of water to break its acceleration.  the sound was not easy to discribe when one was trying to sleep during launch.  But, after time, one could actually sleep like a baby while that "KaaaaWhammmmm" :-X  was going on.  Oh, Navy life, I miss it so.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2017, 06:12:26 pm »

Well folks, the Langley build is now finished.  I can say that I enjoyed the experience.  The scale and build were challenging and I have decided to stay at this 1/350 scale, as it keeps the footprint down some. This model was most difficult to photograph, so bear with me as I send you these final photos... if I could have crammed my camera inside between decks, I would have, I tried. As for the kit.  For the price, it is ok... the resin castings were not the greatest, except for the hull itself.  The photoetch was outstanding.  The kit manufacturer makes repeated claims that I could get any part replaced free of charge.  I never took them up on it, as I could usually make the part in question work with some scratch tech.  I'm more leaning towards the plastic kits out there with the upscale kits that really boost the scale work.  I find the castings much better (well, we will see with my next model).  So, as soon as I get setup for the next build, I will be silent and repost with the build of the USS Lexington CV-2, when she is ready to start.  Oh, the fun of it all. O0   Dennis
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.