Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a question from acreoss the pond  (Read 1725 times)

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
a question from acreoss the pond
« on: July 01, 2017, 04:24:00 pm »

so I have sevseral projects going..i have a question.. I hear about p38 filler..i looked at it on line..does anyone know if this is compareable to bondo brand filler in the u.s?..

would it be ok to use bondo????

also I am working on a dumas mr darby hull and am starting to fit the open wheel running gear from harbor models.....they say use eather J.B weld or micrbaloon putty...I have found jbweld and used it before...but what is micrbaloon putty? and does anyone know it's us equivalent?..is this a premixed thing?does it have a brand name I could order???

also I have the harbor models superstructure kit for the darby as well... but I have no plans. and the harbor models instrutions leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.. I am looking for copys.of plans or instructions. I have paypal and would be willing to pay for copy&postage to us......

love this fourum the best as it's so active and helpful...regards shane.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: a question from acreoss the pond
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 05:02:12 pm »

The micro balloon filler you can get from Hobbylink. https://www.hobbylinc.com/hobby-and-craft-putty-filler
and P-38 and Bondo are nearly identical. HTH
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 06:29:22 pm »

P38 is a car body filler, just the same as your Bondo. The edges feather out nicely so usually smooth in to surrounding work. We also have a filler known as P40, this is a paste with fibreglass strands in it for extra strength. As a follow on to P38 which is usually enough to give a good finish, we also have an ultra fine filler known as knifing stopper. Once you have the P38 almost to your point of finish, if there are any deep sanding marks or such, you can smear the knifing stopper on with a knife (yep no need to explain ) a very paper thin layer, allow it to dry 12 hours and sand down with 300/600 grit paper for a baby smooth surface

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:33:07 am »

Hi All
I have used a spray can body filler with the primer in it as well.
Sands up very smooth.
I got it in white, orange and grey.
The different colours help you find the little dents and lumps easily!!

Canabus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.