Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HK Inception - alternative propeller sizes wanted.  (Read 4591 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
HK Inception - alternative propeller sizes wanted.
« on: July 05, 2017, 06:05:38 pm »

I have just acquired a new HK Inception so I can make some "white water" as a nice change to my usual scale model boats but I see that some reviews suggest that the model comes with props that are too large.

I intend running the boat on a pair of 2 cell 7.4 volts 5800mah 40C LiPo packs in series (14.8 volts) with the supplied P1.4x60mm two bladed metal prop. 

The kit also comes with a P1.4 x56mm prop for use with a pair of 3 cell LiPo cells - something I will try later once I get the boat "sorted" on the 4S power.

The question I have is where do I find suitable dog-drive propellers to fit this model so I can try some slightly smaller sizes (as suggested) to get the best performance and to prevent any over-heating.

Does anyone have any experience with this boat who has found the ultimate prop size for use with 4S cells or have any ideas what sizes to try?

At this moment I am thinking my only option is to buy them from The Prop Shop so this will be expensive if I need to try lots of different sizes until I stumble upon the one that works the best.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HK Inception - alternative propeller sizes wanted.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:07:12 pm »

Sorry - duplicated post :(

...however - now I am here I may as well ask if anyone has any experience of using the supplied HK steerwheel radio set that comes with this almost RTR boat ?

With RTR models the radios supplied as usually very "budget" based as the manufacturer try to give the best value for money.

Is it really good enough for use on a fast electric?

If not I can easily change it for one of the sets I have used for large scale r/c car racing as I know they are reliable and I would rather be "safe than sorry".

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 06:16:29 pm »

When I used to race fast petrol and nitro r/c powered boats back in the 1960's and 70's we always put two part PU foam in the bows so in the event of a flip or crash the boat would not sink.

I see that none of these RTR boats come with any "floatation aids" these days but surely if they do submarine they will still sink - so I would like to add some foam to mine before I get it wet for the first time.

The hulls I always raced with were either made from ply or glass fibre and so the two part foam never harmed them, but many of the new hulls ( including this one) are made form ABS.  Is it safe to use two part foam on ABS hulls?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 09:53:44 pm »

Just put some small pieces of pool noodles in there or do as i do get a box of wine get the missus to drink the wine and keep the inner ,you can inflate it and push that in it will keep a big boat afloat no worries and light as a feather. Even kids arm bands work a treat .Id use smaller props as you said ,60 m is too big even the 56 to me is big .Check ebay out you can find nice CNC Alloy props that work well .Heres a review of the boat you should find good info on there .

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2669601-HydroPro-Inception-RCGroups-Review/page3

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 09:58:34 pm »

The radio that comes with it is 2.4 gig isnt it? if so should work fine ,i use the cheap flysky radios on all my boats gas and electric and they work as well as my futaba stuf , in fact i havent used the expensive gear for 4 years now lol.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 05:28:49 pm »

Just put some small pieces of pool noodles in there or do as i do get a box of wine get the missus to drink the wine and keep the inner ,you can inflate it and push that in it will keep a big boat afloat no worries and light as a feather. Even kids arm bands work a treat .Id use smaller props as you said ,60 m is too big even the 56 to me is big .Check ebay out you can find nice CNC Alloy props that work well .Heres a review of the boat you should find good info on there .

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2669601-HydroPro-Inception-RCGroups-Review/page3

Thanks for the link to the review of the Inception - much appreciated  :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:35:42 pm »

The radio that comes with it is 2.4 gig isnt it? if so should work fine ,i use the cheap flysky radios on all my boats gas and electric and they work as well as my futaba stuf , in fact i havent used the expensive gear for 4 years now lol.

I know what you mean - I have been happy with the new Radio Link 6 channel radio that Rossendale Models are importing as it comes with a spring loaded left hand stick (made this way for RossMod) - perfect for model boats and cars and cheap too - but Radio Link is now a well known manufacturer of branded radio (and quads) and their latest radios are getting better all the time.

http://www.rossmod.co.uk/radiolink-6-channel-2-4ghz-remote-control-system-with-7ch-rx.html

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:45:21 pm »

Are the propellers supplied with the Inception surface piercing - how do I tell?

........just so I order the correct type when I find a smaller sized replacement.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 04:49:02 pm »

They are surface props ,its a surface driven boat .

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 10:47:38 am »

They are surface props ,its a surface driven boat .

Only just!   %)

Krazykenny

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 09:25:34 am »

Keep that boat!!! All the sites like Hobbyking now seem to be O.O.S. on it now,and its being listed as discontinued on one site i saw,though it looks as though Joysway may have resurrected it as the "Alpha" model,though even that is difficult to procure. Ive always admired the Inception,and there is a really good video on Youtube of one of the Hobbyking guys in the US running one on 6s ,and recording the speed on gps.its a pity my local "pond" is too small for effective use of that size of craft,or it would definitely be on my shopping list!☺

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 12:01:16 pm »

I now have two Inception boats and apart from preferring to upgrade to the new RadioLink RC4GS steer wheel radio and adding some foam ballast into the bows I have made no changes.

My local "pond" is also a little too small to let the boats "rip" on 6 cells, so I run them on 4 cells (with the supplied 4 cell prop) and the boats are still very fast - and with the restricted amount of space available to turn the boat it looks even faster and quick reflexes are needed to make fast circuits and to keep them safe.

In some ways this is more "engaging" than running it flat out on 6 cells in a wide open space and I really look forward to running them every time I get the chance, but as a matter of respect for other club members I will only run it when no other boats are on the water to avoid any potential collisions.

The Inception is made by Joysway and when sold as part of their main range it is known as the Alpha 1000 and is available not only in the yellow colour way that HK sells but also in a red colour line that is not available from HK.

Krazykenny

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 06:08:20 pm »

Nice to hear from you Zooma, there never seems to be enough folks  into RTR ans ARTR boats, i enjoyed  reading your posts,my own pond at Wicksteed Park, Kettering, is on the small side even when i run my ft 012 ,though my sea rider 4 cat has less power so much more manageable for Mr Clumsy(myself) . And i have to respect the modellers on Sunday (their club kindly put up with me on my very occassional Sunday visits,as does Mr(s??) Swan,who seems to be permanently i residence ;D . Look forward to more of your posts.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:38:17 pm »

My Inceptions give a good and fast run time on 4 cells using the supplied 4 cell prop with no signs of any overheating - and I am giving the boat max throttle for most of the total running time so there is not too much wrong with the supplied prop choice when run on 4 cells. After 6 months of ownership I am still really impressed by this boat!

If I did not need to slow down slightly to make the fast turns the throttle would be nailed-on all of the time! The boat looks just as fast on our restricted water on 4 cells as the 6 cell boat does on the bigger lakes - all a mater of perception I suppose - but the need to stay alert and "on top of the job" is kept sharply in focus as I hope to keep the boat within the bounds of the water that I am running it on.

The cells, motor, and speed controller are just a little warm after each run, but are a long way from running hot so I see no reason to change the propeller size as it is the fastest boat currently on the club pond (by some margin) - and it still runs cool!

The spray is still falling back down to the water surface after the boat has raced past and is already making its turn at the other end of the lake ready to come back in the other direction and churn the water up again. Impressive!

I bought a new Vector 80 as I was concerned about "missing a turn" and destroying the 1000mm boat due to a minor lapse in concentration as the speed the boat runs at gives no second chances as it eats the available water at an alarming rate!.  The Vector at 800mm is just that bit smaller and so is "safer" to run at speed on the same size water as it can turn in less water - but with both boats on 4 cells the bigger boat is still faster!

Performance on 6 cells has yet to be experienced so maybe that is when the size of the props becomes a consideration?

I strip, clean, and grease the flex-shaft after most trips to the pond and check the spacing at the end of the shaft is enough to prevent the flexi-drive running tight as it shortens when under power.

Krazykenny

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:09 am »

To deviate somewhat, i also have been greasing up the propshaft of my sea rider cat,i found this guy ,London based on e-bay selling syringes of decent quality grease,so gave it a spin on his 3 for 2 offer he was running,seems good quality grease too,the allen key heads on my cat though seemed to have been tightened by King Kong ,so it took some effort to undo them,but the shaft eventually came out and i got it greased and successfully re-assembled. The ft 012 was a different story,i could not get it apart at all,so i lubed the joints as per the instruction manual from Fei Lun.using 3 in one oil,as one of the Aussie boaters on youtube demoed. Missed my usual run spot at Wicksteed as i had to take delivery of my Skymax b6 balance charger,and it was cold enough to remove twin spherical attachments from a brazen simian anyway,and my arthritis dont appreciate that. I am getting itchy feet again,looking at a couple of slightly larger "cats" though bit different in price,the proboat blackjack 24, and the Volantex Atomic.incidently,on the lubricant subject i noticed that Wilko stock a weatherproof bicycle lubricant for around the same price/ quantity as the 3 in 1 oil, so might try that next time, the weatherproof ability might be of some use. :-)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 03:20:52 pm »

Nice to hear from you Zooma, there never seems to be enough folks  into RTR ans ARTR boats, i enjoyed  reading your posts,my own pond at Wicksteed Park, Kettering, is on the small side even when i run my ft 012 ,though my sea rider 4 cat has less power so much more manageable for Mr Clumsy(myself) . And i have to respect the modellers on Sunday (their club kindly put up with me on my very occassional Sunday visits,as does Mr(s??) Swan,who seems to be permanently i residence ;D . Look forward to more of your posts.

After a lifetime of making hulls from wood and working with glass fibre I have found (since my retirement) the joy of just buying something and using it!

In theory I should have more time for making things but this last year (and more) has seen me spending just about all my spare time working on the house and it has been nice to be able to just turn-up with something "fresh" and run it without the time investment.

The ARTR boats that I have bought over the last couple of years have performed remarkably well and I have been surprised at just how good they have been.

Previously I would not want to have an ABS hulled boat but the performance of those that I have run have been better than similar GRP types and without the delicate gell coat surface to worry about either!

I have always liked the deep vee type hulls but I will be running my first cat this year to see how I get on with them and when time becomes available again I hope to make a WW2 1/24 scale MTB or MGB as I like to see this type of boat making white water on the club lake - a nice change from all of those tugs!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.