Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LiPo Care  (Read 1629 times)

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
LiPo Care
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:26:08 am »

Hi,

I was curious as to whether there is a good guide to maintenance of LiPo Batteries and how to leave them for long term storage etc. I only overheard a conversation when a young lad brought in a car battery [LiPo] and it appeared to have a very slight bulge in the casing wrapping and was told to get a new one at some expensive cost to his mum!

Anyway question is: is there a good hosekeeping link to LiPo?

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: LiPo Care
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:45:12 am »

Hi rnli12
If they have a bulge in them, replace them.
Use a charge safety bag and a good charger.
Only charge at the same as Nicads etc. e.g. 5800mah= 5.8 Amps, fast charging kills batteries.
My charger was one our club members use and does all types of batteries.
As for long term storage they do not loose their charge and good chargers have a storage charge setting.

Canabus

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LiPo Care
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 01:51:46 pm »

Consensus at our club is that charging at the maximum rates EG 5000mah at 5 amps , while not being excessive will shorten battery life , recommended by all is for a 5k mah, charge at  3.5 amps and use a GENUINE charger , Turnigy / SKYRC etc , the counterfeits will not have all the protection circuits . . 
The genuine ones will also have storage charge capability + balance charging .
I'm new to LIPO batterys , but common sense is all you need , don't discharge cells to lower than 3 volts per cell / fit low cell alarm / use the correct equipment / don't drop /damage the pack /use heavy enough wire 14 g is a good start / use good ESC's & set the cut off to slightly higher than 3v and you should get years of service . . .
Be safe
Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.