Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My ORSV  (Read 6934 times)

hama

My ORSV
« on: August 27, 2007, 11:10:14 pm »

Hello!
I'm new here, so I'm just trying to post a picture of my supplyship from a HFM-kit. Hope it works.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My ORSV
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:23:12 pm »

Welcome to the Forum. That's a very nice model - looks a bit cold though!

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:05:11 am »

Welcome to the Forum, the model looks really great, but your pond looks decidedly cool.................

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 08:18:48 am »

A venerable old very well done!
Is the kit still available?

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

hama

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 10:09:00 am »

Hi there, and thanks for your comments! ;D
Yes it was a bit cold, the Baltic sea gets like that in February. The pic is from the maiden voyage( sorry, i have no digital camera ).
The kit is still available from HFM-marine. It doesn't contain any fittings at all, just hull and superstructure, so you have to do it all from bits and pieces. And as there are no drawings you are totally free to make it your own design, I really enjoyed that. She handles extremely well in strong winds and heavy seas, she features homemade flaprudder, bowthruster and firemonitors as well as working lights.
BTW, I really like this forum, it's excellent!

Captain Jack

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 02:29:50 am »

More pics please....I've had my eye on that kit for awhile! Any details would be appreciated such as length, beam, height, draft? Could it be dual motor powered? Is it ABS, or fiberglass? Did I read the HFM add right...it's only about two feet long, and they want $120 or so bucks for it?
Thanks in advance,
Capt. Jack>>>>>sends

hama

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:25:12 pm »

Hello Captain Jack!
I'm glad you too are intrested in this little boat.
Some details; she is 58x14,5cm, draft 5cm and weight 2.3kg in my version.It's made of ABS, hull, decks, superstructure and funnels. You could certainly build her with twin screws, I thought about it too but went for the easy way and used the propshaft from the kit.The kit is for the beginner as it doesn't come to any scale and there are no drawings but when you add some details from the scrapbox it came out really nice I think. I found her to be suitable at scale 1:87, that gave me an opportunity to put some HO crewmembers on board. I think I paid some 60pounds for her and it's really a bit overpriced but now that she's finished and a real joy to me it's forgiven. I post some more pics for you, hope they can be of some help. Would be nice to see if there are any other out there with this kit and what you have done to it.
Good luck.

Captain Jack

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 04:22:06 am »

Thanks for the info. She's a beauty, and the detail work is outstanding! She seems to make a good turn of scale speed, with a very realistic wake. She seems just the right size for hauling back and forth to the pond too!
 Seems my  boat recieves most of it's damage just moving it from the water and back from the work bench. It would be interesting to see just how far I could go with that kit, what with adding working lights, sound system, ect.
  One more question, is the bow thruster operational?

hama

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 09:59:01 pm »

Thanks for the fine comments, but I'm afraid she looks ten times better on a picture than in real life. Must say that it`s very encourageing to see all the fine models on this forum and all enthusiasm. About the bowthruster, yes it works and was made from scrap really. A simple "paddle" in a tube, I think it's like the Graupner thruster but much cheaper.
Cheers :)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 11:01:01 pm »

Seems my  boat recieves most of it's damage just moving it from the water and back from the work bench.

its the same with ANY model, warships especially ww2 era or earlier, too many knocky-offy bits.  I have a wooden model similar to yours, I plan to do her as a research ship
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 10:48:01 pm »

I did one of those about 4 years ago when I had a damaged foot and needed something I could make indoors. It was great fun 'cos as it was made of styrene you could do all sorts of alterations using plasticard. I remade the hatch and one evening I found the black cat sitting on it, so my plastic engineering obviously worked. It was a nice boat and handled well with power on but I gave it to my lad and went back to scratch-built experimenting.

hama

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 12:02:24 am »

Hi there tobyker!
Didn't you take any pictures of her before you gave her away? Would be great to see some pictures of any other of these builds.
Hama.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 11:28:45 pm »

hi real nice you real nice job on her real makes her stand out from what the kit supply's . Jack seen a few of them  on ebay a while ago they were around £30 £40 for the kit or £80 to £100 built all in . last one on was called kit cat i think had a reserve of £100 did not sell,hope this is off use sorry to go of on a tangent.

Captain Jack

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 06:10:13 pm »

Seems the kit costs more to ship from the UK to the states, than the actual cost of the kit! Loyahanna Dockyard sells them here, but they want 330 US dollars for a twenty one inch kit. Seems they are passing on the cost of shipping via UPS to me, and adding to their profit also. I'd love to build one, as I served aboard one very similar as a young Merchant Sailor, but I refuse to pay that darn much for her. I'm assuming that's on European ebay that you saw the kit?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 09:54:01 am »

yer that ebay. co.uk. But in the shops its hard to find not so popular now dont know why shame as HFM made nice simple cheep kit

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 07:49:25 pm »

Hama, can you please take a photo of the ship and highlight where items like the navigation lights and stern lights are located please, so I can work something similar on my Nord Icelandia please, (ship pictured)

hama

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 04:12:39 pm »

Hello Ghost!
Don't know if my poor pictures can be of any help, but here they are. As for the location of the stern nav light, I choose to put it on the gangway between the funnels as I think it would be fouled by the towingline if placed in the stern( that is on a real ship!!).
Good luck!

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 10:50:49 pm »

so mounting mine on the aft face of the mast could be done.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

hama

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 07:37:43 pm »

Well, I wouldn't mind building another one some day, make her twin props or even small homemade schottels. But for now the workbench is occupied and the wallet empty! Anyone else picking her up? Martin??

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 10:30:22 pm »

hama, where you get your fire monitors from??

hama

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 05:16:07 pm »

Hi Ghost!
I made them from brass tube.
Hama

hama

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 09:02:26 pm »

Just some pictures from this summer.
Hama.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 02:54:55 pm »

You certainly like to test your model on the rough seas (very brave) , if it was not for the background she could be on the open sea in a heavy storm , hope the decks are sealed down well or else Tug Kenny will be thinking de-ja-vue  :} .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 03:06:35 pm »

not sure what hama has done to his but mine is filled with polystyrene
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.