Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aero Naut Pilot Boat  (Read 24414 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: Aero Naut Pilot Boat
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2017, 09:11:44 pm »

Ive now finally got round to installing the dash lights, 2 led's wired in series. works well, see the pics, but also note something else from the pics and kindly remember to do one things I didnt ! PAINT the inside of the lit area black before glueing the lower dash panel in....as you can see from last image, the light does show through the cabin panel slightly.....my mistake, so dont you go doing the same !
I decided against trying to peel the panel back out and possibly damaging something...
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2017, 04:58:31 pm »

Ive been wondering about the layout on the top of the rear main cabin, as the instructions depict a set of handrails, but no apparent physical way of getting up there. So after studying things a bit, ive come up with what I think would work, especially if this was used as an additional "height" platform for vessel access by the pilots for example.
So Ive cut an access hole in the rear of the upper deck. Sourced a scale ladder and then after a slight modification to the original rear handrail [ by putting a 90 degree bend in it] it looks the part. Ive also made up a secondary rail to fit alongside the access hole, just to prevent risk of a pilot falling sideways too.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2017, 05:40:10 pm »

Good call. Loving the build.
grumpy old XXX

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2017, 12:00:45 am »

Thanks for comment.  I could just see all that roof just sitting there without purpose [or access]. was a shame not to get it involved somehow.  :-))
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2017, 04:42:37 pm »

Sorry for the delay in post updates, but one of the misfortunes of being a model boat club secretary is "renewals", yep only comes round once a year, but takes such an age to squeeze all the payments and forms back in, then forward those who also want insurance cover too. never mind, all done and dusted for another 11 months, then i start pestering for money again. LOL.

Right. ive been looking at the servo system i wanted for the main searchlight and think this seems to work fairly well, plus using a micro servo, its pretty well hidden up in the main cabin roof, so not too visible through the windows.  You will also notice a liferaft pod...sourced from my bits box, think it was a Robbe one. All i did was make up a couple of cradle mounts, will add a couple of over straps before mounting fully.
Ive also added a worklight to the brow of the forward main cabin roof, so lights up the for'd deck area.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2017, 06:17:54 pm »

Looking better by the day Steve. :-))

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2017, 10:12:11 pm »

Managed to get a bit more done, the rear access ladder now in place [not yet painted]. Ive added the stern light, but mounted on a short length of hollow tubing, looks better than simply glued to the upper deck floor. Ive also mounted the stern work lamp, so no moans over cant see where going as they step out the rear cabin door !

Also added another image of the main mast, think it looks quite nice when lit.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2017, 04:56:49 pm »

continued with some of the electrical wiring. the stern light, pilots cabin interior/roof lights and stern work lamp now operational. heres a few views. cabin looks good being lit. used "warm white" for a softer tone inside.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2017, 05:06:55 pm »

Hi Steve,
Do I see wires going to the horn? I didn't realise that it was a working one! And the overhead deck light was that in your kit? I've not seen one in mine as yet.
Looks very good now. I'm at the point of wiring up the mast but reckon I'll have to enlarge the holes to get a pair of wires through.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2017, 05:48:00 pm »

If you leave out the rear strips of the mast, it allows extra room, so once its wired up, simply glue a flat strip of plastic card on the back afterwards. thats what i did, otherwise, yes barely room for 3 wires. I managed to get 7 down.

If you check the instructions and look at the mast sections....the rear cover/supports are loosly held in place by 3 little joining tags, cut the tags AND remove the tags and rear supports. The mast once glue has dried is quite robust and will take the handling to get all wires through.

Sorry but no, horn not wired, but bent a piece of brass rod to replicate an air pipe.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2017, 09:31:12 pm »

Sorry for the distinct lack of updates, but a minor issue at one turned in to a rather more expensive one, that took some time to resolve.

So just a small update to start back with, as not had chance to touch the build since my last post. Coxwain now in post, throttles added and something to steer with of course.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2017, 09:05:28 pm »

Todays little trick is to install and connect the servo to rotate the roof mounted searchlight.
This you have many options.
1/ rotate only.[with light]
2/rotate & raise lower [with light]
3/ static [but lights up].

Option 1 it is for me, as i didnt want to overfill the main cabin with r/c stuff.  so slid a prop locking collar on the outer shaft to hold in place, stop it lifting up out of the mount. Then added a rudder servo rod arm lower down, so it give a good run to the servo. servo : "Micro" as its not doing much so needs only lightweight operation. 2 cross bars to secure the servo to, then bend a small length of brass rod to link the servo to the light.
This I will link via "Y" lead to the rudder servo, so as the vessel turns, the light turns too, touch of the old "Citroen DS" here, for those of us who remember them !

YES, you could use option 2, but need some fancy r/c gear as you would need 2 channels just to play with the light, im sticking to my 5 channel Planet system, as I use the transmitter on many of my fleet so saves having to carry too much kit.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2017, 11:51:40 pm »

Not much done today, been too busy keeping an eye on the house and fences with all this wind about.
However, finished off the liferaft container and mounts.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2017, 09:35:16 pm »

I have finally recieved the sound unit ive been long awaiting, so can finally get back inside the hull and kick start the main motor wiring and main power panel.
the motors have been fitted with suppressor packs and ive added some connectors to the motor wiring to make it a bit easier if i need to remove the motor controller at any time. Ive opted for a twin motor controller from Action, along with a power control panel I already had surplus "in stock".
the battery tray has been secured down as recommended in the instructions, by a "non permanent" method, so part of the hull can still be accessed if it springs a leak I suppose! This I tacked down with some silicone sealant.

the sound unit  comes from  "banggood", after seeing and hearing some of the video clips, I thought it worth a punt, plus its easily programmable with different engine sounds and horns, all available FOC off the company website along with the pc program needed for reprogramming the sound unit.. Ok so appreciate its not anywhere near as good as a proper Action sound unit, but space and weight is limited in this vessel to leave it with some hint of performance, thats why I opted for this one.  Time will tell if it can stand up to the rigors of a boat location.

Power wise? Well as you can see from the pictures, Im going to opt for 11.1v Lipo, rather than the 7.4v suggested. battery tray has more than enough capacity, but will see how the "water test" goes shortly to check on waterline level.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2017, 10:15:00 pm »

First job I needed to do before the main deck gets anywhere near the hull, is to sort out a suitable tub to run the front twin spotlamp wiring in, as this is bonded in to the deck, underneath the spotlamp housing, so hidden from view, but by using a tube, if the wiring ever needs changing, or additional wires...they simply slip down this tube.  i used some car washer hose, flexi enough to bend to shape, lightweight and cheap!

second task today was a full water test, so after a part fill, the hull was lowered in. NO leaks and sits quite level too. Admittidly still the weight of the superstructure to add, but now I know the battery size and location is good to go.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2017, 06:25:02 pm »

Any progress? Too interesting to lose track off.
grumpy old XXX
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.