Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragonforce 65 V6 battery options  (Read 28119 times)

T33cno

Dragonforce 65 V6 battery options
« on: July 18, 2017, 06:40:09 pm »

Looking for advice re alternative LiFe battery. The manual doesn't advise on the size that can be accommodated nor how many maH is necessary to replace the four AA Alkaline.

Comments?

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dragonforce 65 V6 battery options
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:54:55 pm »

I have both the Dragon force 65 and also the Dragonflyte 95 and run them using 5cell AAA battery packs from Component shop, which gives 6 volts the recommended max voltage?  For my larger yachts I use 5cell AA battery packs again 6 volts.  Only one member at our club uses 6.2 volt lipo batteries with no problems (he says) the others who have tried them kept getting blown servos

Slinger

T33cno

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:21:09 pm »

I have both the Dragon force 65 and also the Dragonflyte 95 and run them using 5cell AAA battery packs from Component shop, which gives 6 volts the recommended max voltage?  For my larger yachts I use 5cell AA battery packs again 6 volts.  Only one member at our club uses 6.2 volt lipo batteries with no problems (he says) the others who have tried them kept getting blown servos

Slinger

Thanks Slinger
The manual states the use of Lithium Ferrite battery packs as an alternative. To my knowledge there isn't a 6volt LiFe ?
There is nothing in the manual regarding battery voltage or sensitivity to anything appreciable over 6volts.

My club 500 uses the same rudder micro servo on 7.2 volts which is near 9 volts at end of charge.

T33cno

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:36:16 pm »

Interesting to note that the main dragonforce/flite seller also sells the 6.6 volt LiFe http://www.radiosailing.co.uk/batteries--chargers-113-c.asp

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:53:53 pm »

Everyone I know, including myself, have used life 2s 6.6 volt life batteries for years & have never had a problem. A 1000mah battery will last all day, although most change at lunch time just to be on the safe side when racing.
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

T33cno

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 10:05:22 pm »

Everyone I know, including myself, have used life 2s 6.6 volt life batteries for years & have never had a problem. A 1000mah battery will last all day, although most change at lunch time just to be on the safe side when racing.

Thank you that's what I needed to know  :-))
Good practice to change to stave off over discharge and prolong lifespan. I've just ordered a second  :-)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:14:05 pm »

If the new battery physically fits in the space available it will weigh less.  Its just a case of finding the most capacity for a pack that will fit the same physical space, and if there is a choice, getting the highest capacity.  Since claims of battery specs change rapidly, the boat manufacturers can't allow for that in their printed instructions which will have to last a long time.  So just look for the biggest mAH figure that will fit in the space available.
I would be very wary about using LiPo - the semiconductor specs that I have read for the ICs used in servos usually quote a top voltage of 7.5 volts.  Hooking them to a source that can charge to more than that and deliver a lot of current is likely to reduce their life expectancy.  I don't know what LiFe charge up to, but it should remain in the relatively safe zone.  Running servos on a higher voltage causes them to give more power - the downside is that if they have to work harder, like if a rudder catches on something, the higher spec battery might be able to deliver enough power for the servo to damage itself.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

T33cno

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:41 pm »

Thanks Malcolm
The LiFe is sited in an alternative position to save removing the main hatch. The battery I bought fits the hole comfortably and velcro is provided for fixing.

V6 Manual.......page 15
https://df65racing.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/df65-v6-rigging-instructions.pdf

T33cno

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 10:31:09 pm »

T33cno

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 10:33:32 pm »

I'd read somewhere before buying this yacht that it only required a couple of hours assembly  {-) ;D
Allow six  :-))  if you're a rigging virgin like me

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 08:02:23 pm »

Absolutely!

I've recently bought a Hydropro Infinity 65 as my first RC yacht and it took me days!

Fortunately my experienced neighbour, who had bought one and recommended it, also passed on some tips and rigging it etc.

I've sailed his but am itching to give mine a go and do some racing, nothing too serious though.

As regards batteries my neighbour has fitted a sealed pack but for the time being I've just used Ansmann  2500mAh  NiMH AA batteries which whilst less than the 6 volts of disposable batteries should be fine for this purpose though of course more fiddly for recharging than a pack.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 05:06:47 pm »

Absolutely!

I've recently bought a Hydropro Infinity 65 as my first RC yacht and it took me days!

Fortunately my experienced neighbour, who had bought one and recommended it, also passed on some tips and rigging it etc.

I've sailed his but am itching to give mine a go and do some racing, nothing too serious though.

As regards batteries my neighbour has fitted a sealed pack but for the time being I've just used Ansmann  2500mAh  NiMH AA batteries which whilst less than the 6 volts of disposable batteries should be fine for this purpose though of course more fiddly for recharging than a pack.

I have had an Affinity for several months now, so nice to know that there is someone else there with one!  I have been sailing that and my DF 95 with 2600mAh Nimh AA battery packs. On one of those, they will virtually sail all day with no problems and with easy recharging. I know some people are a little wary of LiPo or LiFe cells. 

It is worth pointing out that while virtually everything on the Infinity is identical and interchangeable with the Dragon Force 65, the hull is different and doesn't have the separate small battery hatch beside the mast so the battery has to go through the main hatch. To make this easier and more waterproof , I obtained a moulded plastic hatch cover from Craig Huzway at Breaking Wind boats in Washington DC.    http://www.freewebs.com/breakingwindboats/DF%20Rig/Affinity%20Hatch.jpg

T33cno

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 06:39:43 pm »

Battery fits perfect in either position  :-))  Just fitted an orange DSMX receiver for under £13 . Now waiting for another TX and I'll be sailing on Sunday  8)

T33cno

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 07:12:19 pm »

EDIT
Actually tidier face down  :-))

T33cno

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 07:24:51 pm »

Attached with the velcro supplied by Joysway

T33cno

Re: Dragonforce 65 V6 or others........sail numbers/letters
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 08:59:07 pm »

As a complete novice what's the score with sail identification numbers
Who decides on them and where from etc?

T33cno

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 09:04:00 pm »

I think I found the source so just who decides the numbers? is it club based or national  %)

https://sochsails.co.uk/sail-numbers/

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 09:07:20 pm »

I have had an Affinity for several months now, so nice to know that there is someone else there with one!  I have been sailing that and my DF 95 with 2600mAh Nimh AA battery packs. On one of those, they will virtually sail all day with no problems and with easy recharging. I know some people are a little wary of LiPo or LiFe cells. 

It is worth pointing out that while virtually everything on the Infinity is identical and interchangeable with the Dragon Force 65, the hull is different and doesn't have the separate small battery hatch beside the mast so the battery has to go through the main hatch. To make this easier and more waterproof , I obtained a moulded plastic hatch cover from Craig Huzway at Breaking Wind boats in Washington DC.    http://www.freewebs.com/breakingwindboats/DF%20Rig/Affinity%20Hatch.jpg

I've joined Knightcote recently and there is a few Affinities there and enjoying racing with the DF65s etc.

One thing I found when rigging was that the bowsies are very fiddly to install and adjust - those for the DF look better quality so I will change to those over time.

I've been reading about hatches on the rcgroups web-site and was hoping that there was a supplier/manufacturer closer to home. Appears not, so will order from breakingwind.

Sorry to the OP for going off on a tangent.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 09:13:11 pm »

I think I found the source so just who decides the numbers? is it club based or national  %)

https://sochsails.co.uk/sail-numbers/

I suppose it depends at what level? At Knightcote for instance I believe you use your membership number. Makes sense as that would avoid duplicates.

For nationals etc. I guess you would be issued with a number?

T33cno

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 09:14:33 pm »

Thanks Chris and no apologies please, all info is good  :-))

Also these may be of interest ?
https://soch-sails.myshopify.com/collections/deck-patches/products/copy-of-df65-a-suit

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 09:29:09 pm »

Thanks Andy - the patches for the eyelets may be useful though so far reports say that the Infinity doesn't seem to have the same water ingress around them as the Dragon Force.

Good, cheaper source for the hatch patches but the moulded ones are a better solution for what is the only criticism of the Affinity and DF boats.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 09:30:14 pm »

I suppose it depends at what level? At Knightcote for instance I believe you use your membership number. Makes sense as that would avoid duplicates.

For nationals etc. I guess you would be issued with a number?

You apply for your national RG65 class number ( as Affinity and DF65 are both this class as well as being one designs) from RG65 UK Class Association.

http://www.rg65.org.uk/

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 09:36:26 pm »

The DF 65 register is separate from the RG65 register.
 https://dfracinguk.com/class-documents/register-your-dragonforce-65/
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

T33cno

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 09:38:01 pm »

Thank you all  :-)

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 09:40:23 pm »

One thing I found when rigging was that the bowsies are very fiddly to install and adjust - those for the DF look better quality so I will change to those over time.

The threading of the bowsies in the Affinity manual is wrong in that they show going through all three holes before attaching to rings etc then back through the third hole yet again.  if you try this it is almost impossible to get them to adjust easily.  The chord should go through 2 holes , around ring or whatever then back to the 3rd hole and made off.  Also raid the wife's sewing basket and borrow a needle threader off of her, it helps a lot
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.