Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragonforce 65 V6 battery options  (Read 27909 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Dragonforce 65 V6 battery options
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 09:55:31 pm »

Thanks for the info. spearfish.

Mine are wrong but I'm going to leave them for the time being until I've had a play! I've got them pretty well adjusted at the moment but they would be almost impossible to adjust at the pondside.

I'll rig the larger sails at some point, replace the bowsies with better quality and thread them properly.

I did indeed raid my wife's sewing basket as it would have been virtually impossible to get the cord through, especially the three through the fitting above the top of the jib.

I certainly hope to rig up the next set of sails more quickly. Bloke sized fingers certainly don't help and only having two hands isn't enough. My wife had to be pressganged a couple of times!
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

T33cno

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 09:57:15 pm »

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 10:06:49 pm »

Just out of interest to the Affinity sailors who read about  the moulded hatch covers from the USA. I was talking to Craig Huzway , of Breaking Wind Boats who moulds them , last week and he is discontinuing them due to low uptake. 

They are a bit pricy to get in the UK due to the postage on an individual basis. He offered to sell me the last batch of 20 at a reasonable price to maximise postage.  If I took him up on his offer, would anybody be interested?. Reckon they would work out at about £5 or so posted to UK addresses.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 10:10:58 pm »

Andy, thanks for the link.

Neighbour and myself were initially looking at the DF V6 but didn't really want to wait until available.

And the Infinity was such a good price it was silly not too really! Obviously there are some savings like the bowsies but the basics are very good.

I only bought it for summer fun and fun club racing for which it is ideal.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

T33cno

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 10:13:16 pm »

Mine was £169 delivered and I cannot fault anything with it  :-))  it has gone through so much trouble to get to the current quality

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 10:16:47 pm »

Andy, thanks for the link.

Neighbour and myself were initially looking at the DF V6 but didn't really want to wait until available.

And the Infinity was such a good price it was silly not too really! Obviously there are some savings like the bowsies but the basics are very good.

I only bought it for summer fun and fun club racing for which it is ideal.

They are such good value that I bought a second one last week (last one that Hobbyking had in stock)  If nothing else it will be a cheap source of parts,  but I intend leaving the first one stock and then having a play with the second within the RG65 rules proper.  At £80 delivered it won't owe me much!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 10:18:16 pm »

Just out of interest to the Affinity sailors who read about  the moulded hatch covers from the USA. I was talking to Craig Huzway , of Breaking Wind Boats who moulds them , last week and he is discontinuing them due to low uptake. 

They are a bit pricy to get in the UK due to the postage on an individual basis. He offered to sell me the last batch of 20 at a reasonable price to maximise postage.  If I took him up on his offer, would anybody be interested?. Reckon they would work out at about £5 or so posted to UK addresses.

Funnily enough I was thinking about a bulk buy!

So that would be great and certainly count me in. Put me down for at least 4 so I can give a couple to my neighbour.

T33cno

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2017, 10:21:17 pm »

That's a great idea  :-))

This introduction by John from Yorkshire swayed me to buy the V6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2QmGqap1dbE

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2017, 10:25:02 pm »

They are such good value that I bought a second one last week (last one that Hobbyking had in stock)  If nothing else it will be a cheap source of parts,  but I intend leaving the first one stock and then having a play with the second within the RG65 rules proper.  At £80 delivered it won't owe me much!

Can't remember how much I paid but it wasn't much more than that. My neighbour informed me of the great price which was less than he paid.

As you say a great source of parts.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2017, 10:47:06 pm »

As a first move, I have made up a mast and rig so that I can try out a high aspect rg65 sail suit. The Affinity A suit is , I believe, nearly the max sail area allowed but fairly low aspect.  The reservoir that we have use of ,courtesy of the local sailing club, has rather patchy winds in the corner we are allocated. It will be interesting to see if it sails any better with the new rig. Just have to await delivery of the sails.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2017, 10:00:24 am »

Bit off the original subject, but both DF65 owners and Affinity sailors may find this useful.  It makes keeping the sails rigs tidy and uncreased.   I have a couple and they are really well made and good value.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/sail-boat-bag.html

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2017, 12:25:55 pm »

Any UK Affinity sailors may be interested in this Facebook page.  Currently mainly Dutch members but a friendly lot!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/700480990128447/

T33cno

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2017, 08:40:29 pm »

Thanks Spearfish  :-))

I'm ready to go now, just deck patches and fresh battery  8)

Ebay used receiver turned out less than "cherished" as advertised. Screen quite scratched, firmware two updates behind the times.
sticking scroll wheel and screwdriver pry marks around the battery compartment cover. Seems as though he did not realise you can charge the battery without removing it.
Very close to short circuiting

I've managed to repair the wires and update the firmware. A bit of tweaking also cured the sticking scroller. So just left with poor cosmetics but working order.
Spektrum seem to think INFACT they say that only the latest firmware update is necessary. WRONG! this failed to update several times but installing the previous update first enabled the latest version. I hope this helps other users

T33cno

Re: Dragonforce 65 V6 rigging photos
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2017, 08:56:24 pm »

Perhaps help new builders like I was? The instructions are very good but I think pictures iron out doubt.

T33cno

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2017, 09:21:46 pm »

Anyone know why there is an unused deck eye?

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2017, 09:39:12 pm »

Interesting seeing the little differences between the DF and the Infinity.

Instructions for the Infinity show the sheet for the maintain going through one of the eyelets along the side of the hull. On the recommendation of my neighbour I've run it as shown on your DF which has an extra eyelet nearer the centre of the hull.

Are those rubber bungs around the eyelets to stop the water ingress problems on tne earlier versions?

T33cno

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2017, 09:40:53 pm »

Interesting seeing the little differences between the DF and the Infinity.

Instructions for the Infinity show the sheet for the maintain going through one of the eyelets along the side of the hull. On the recommendation of my neighbour I've run it as shown on your DF which has an extra eyelet nearer the centre of the hull.

Are those rubber bungs around the eyelets to stop the water ingress problems on tne earlier versions?

I believe so? but the John Tushingham video reveals all (posted earlier)

Edit apparently the bungs are due to the eyes being so close to the deck edge as a means of reinforcement

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2017, 09:41:16 pm »

Anyone know why there is an unused deck eye?

A number of unused ones on mine! :)

T33cno

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2017, 10:00:24 pm »

A number of unused ones on mine! :)

I'm relieved that on the Tushingham video the eye is also unused  8) {-)

T33cno

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 09:50:54 am »

A point to note going back to original topic.
My SkyRC charger tops the LiFe battery out at 7.19 volts  :-))

T33cno

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2017, 12:08:48 pm »

I got these deck patches that don't cover the whole hatch so I can check on things. From Soch sails.
I hoped to launch it today but who'd believe it? no wind lol

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2017, 01:15:00 pm »

Just finished checking all my knots etc. and put the receiver in a plastic bag so all ready to go.

At least with the Infinity the wider beam gives you more room but it's still tight in there. Good job with the DF that the battery goes by the mast.

Hopefully get out tomorrow or Monday but it's the opposite here at the moment, windy and threatening sky.

T33cno

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2017, 02:07:40 pm »

Have you applied superglue to your knots?

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2017, 02:50:43 pm »

No, though I know it's an option. I've used tape on some and strong thread on  others to secure them.

Just realised, looking at my boat, that I've kept calling it an Infinity! Getting confused with the car!

T33cno

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2017, 03:20:33 pm »

No, though I know it's an option. I've used tape on some and strong thread on  others to secure them.

Just realised, looking at my boat, that I've kept calling it an Infinity! Getting confused with the car!

We know what you were talking about  ok2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 23 queries.