Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragonforce 65 V6 battery options  (Read 27911 times)

T33cno

Re: Dragonforce 65 V6 battery options
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2017, 07:16:29 pm »

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2017, 07:16:49 pm »

As regards my Affinity I've been doing a bit of sail tuning to get the mainsail a bit tighter and remove a line of tension from the lowest luff ring to the far bottom corner.

Hopefully Monday is a decent day to try it out.

Ordered the better DF bowsies and a few other spares.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2017, 07:32:47 pm »

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

T33cno

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2017, 07:36:25 pm »

It cannot be emphasised enough NOT to over tighten the screws on reassembly. Consequences are the hull develops cracks.
However no one says how tight is tight  {-)

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2017, 10:54:12 pm »

No but it fills with water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ApTVXstEE

I have seen no sign of my Affinity keel fin/trunk taking on water and am happy to leave well alone until it does

T33cno

« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2017, 10:55:51 pm »

It's not necessarily evident certainly my DF showed no external evidence but it was full

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2017, 10:24:14 am »

Spent yesterday officiating at the RG65/DF65 Travellers Series 6 races at the lovely Furzton Lake , Milton Keynes.  Field of 21 sailors, 4 of them being DF65's.   Brings home to you just how much faster the "proper" RG65 designs are over the DF's and I would assume the Affinity.  That said, the DF's sailed well and enjoyed racing against each other but the carbon fibre skinny design RG's with swing rigs do sail so fast.

Interestingly, one lady skipper sailing her DF was struggling a bit as she hadn't experienced similar conditions before, until one of my club members (also officiating) suggested that she change down to a B suit, when the boat sailed much smoother. Although it wasn't overpowered in the A suit, it just seemed much nicer to sail and she seemed much happier

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2017, 11:16:47 am »

Yes, that's why I'm just doing the fun racing at my local club. Don't really want to get into the really competitive stuff with carbon fibre etc.

I've got the B suit on my Affinity and I'm happy to leave it on even though I'm left behind sometimes. Trouble is at our club the wind is very inconsistent and often gusty in places so it's difficult to choose an ideal suit.

Chris

T33cno

« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2017, 02:52:14 pm »

No wind

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2017, 12:25:57 pm »

The Affinity hatches have finally arrived.  Took 8 days to travel from DC to Newark, NY to clear US.  once landed took Royal Mail one day to deliver and no added customs handling fee.

Thanks to Craig Huzway for the hatches, now just have to sort of who wants what

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2017, 12:58:43 pm »

Despite variable wind conditions, sometimes when there was virtually none, just got back from an enjoyable afternoon sailng the Affinity for the first time and was very pleased with it.

In light winds the boat went well enough but as the water level is about 18" below the banks I could do with fitting the bigger sails.   

As mentioned previously, I ordered a high aspect A suit from Catsails , which arrived this morning. Interestingly in the package, you get a diagram with all the dimensions of the sails AND the correct area already calculated.  Comes to 2249.01 square cm, so just inside the max. So glad that I didn't have to get the calculator out and do the maths.   Now just need to fine tune the mast and booms to the sails.

T33cno

Re: Dragonforce 65 V6 sail winch servo
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2017, 05:45:10 pm »

What are your thoughts on the cost of spare parts? I think most are reasonable but the sail winch servo is targeting £26  >:-o
That is simply robbery just because you have to use one from joysway dragon force suppliers to comply with class rules.
I have found the identical servo albeit with a different drum but you can use your old one for under £8 delivered from China and most likely from the same factory.

I joined the facebook DF65 group but they keep deleting my posts  {-)  I wonder why

T33cno

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2017, 04:44:24 pm »

Affinity now has its new high aspect A suit from Catsails.  Pretty much same area as the kit A suit, just in a different place.  Max height mast fitted to cope

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2017, 11:17:52 pm »

Wow, that looks very tall. I think I'd struggle to get that in the car without de-rigging.

Even my neighbour's with the A suit fitted looks tall so I'm sticking with the B suit.

Looks like you have painted and fitted one of the hatch covers to match the sails there?

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2017, 11:38:47 pm »

Hi Chris,

It is quite tall. I may get it in the car as is, if not it is pretty quick rigging job.   I have been using one of Craig's hatches for about the last year. The yellow you can see is a deck patch over the hatch. Belt and braces !   I may change the arrangement now that I have a clear hatch available
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.