Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Japonica 1 - A Broadland Classics kit  (Read 3657 times)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Japonica 1 - A Broadland Classics kit
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:51:56 pm »

Now, most of you here know me for my ferries. BUT....I honestly love boats of all descriptions and, recently, I have been on tenderhooks awaiting the arrival of a very special model kit - the first of a new range of Norfolk Broads sailing yachts from Broadland Classics.
Allow me to introduce you to Japonica 1 - a 1:18 scale model kit of the Japonica class river yacht built by the Martham Boat Building and Development Co. Ltd. in the late 1940's. This is a very well presented and produced kit: full instructions are provided, everything down to the last detail is included (more details later) and the hull is superb. There are no drawings as most would expect but, then, there is no need for any...the instruction book is so well detailed with photographs of each step that conventional drawings should not be missed. Here are a few shots of the state of play as of this evening. Am I pleased? Absolutely over the moon!!!!!

The kit arrived very well packed and within 2 days of being posted:

Everything is bagged and labelled - very easy to check against the packing list and nothing should be able to go missing:

No drawings with this kit - and none needed really!  The instruction book is extremely well written and with so many photographs of each stage, you really cant go wrong:

First job, as usual, is to build the stand - tonight, I just wanted to get it put together so that the hull can be supported out of the box:

And here is the hull, as supplied (with the cabin laid loosely on top) - excellent quality moulding!

More soon  :-))

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Japonica 1 - A Broadland Classics kit
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 11:13:55 pm »

Hi Carl,
 you have mail  friend.
Regards Howard

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 01:12:45 pm »

Carl, you may be aware, but Martham Boats still have the original Japonica on the water for hire. Back in September, I hired its sister vessel Lydia for a week. They are kept in pristine condition and my boat was plated year of build 1934. Lovely boat, but was very heavy for me as a single-hander!  I very much look forward to watching your build.
Bob.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:35:44 am »

Will be watching with interest. Not my normall cup of tea, but fancy something different.
Came across this on FaceBook and have since made enquiries.

Good Luck

Colin
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 05:26:06 pm »

Any movement on this? and do you know what has happened to the company producing it?
grumpy old XXX
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 22 queries.