Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Marine Modelling International Magazine?  (Read 28484 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Marine Modelling International Magazine?
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2017, 01:28:44 pm »

No, I don't think so. Hearsay suggests it was the failure of the magazines which precipitated the situation. MMI has been considerably outsold by Model Boats for some time now. Hobby magazines are all on tight budgets these days and need careful financial management to keep them profitable which Model Boats is.

As far as the retail operation is concerned, Paul Freshney, Editor of Model Boats has posted on the Model Boats Forum to the effect that the online shop and plans service are expected to reopen under new ownership in the near future.

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=129029&p=1

Colin

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2017, 01:49:45 pm »

I sent MMI a write up on the Doncaster Model Engineering Exhibition which was back in May and Barrie Stevens sent me a proof write up to me to examine before going into print for the August issue which he sent the week before they went into administration, which should have been in the post this week but still hasn't arrived as yet? Again it's not just the model boating world that has lost a monthly magazine to read as Traplet also published quite a few other magazines for all different subjects/hobbies.

Regards
Kevin

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2017, 02:19:02 pm »

No, I don't think so. Hearsay suggests it was the failure of the magazines which precipitated the situation. MMI has been considerably outsold by Model Boats for some time now. Hobby magazines are all on tight budgets these days and need careful financial management to keep them profitable which Model Boats is.

As far as the retail operation is concerned, Paul Freshney, Editor of Model Boats has posted on the Model Boats Forum to the effect that the online shop and plans service are expected to reopen under new ownership in the near future.

Colin

Now THAT is good news, the plans service would have been a great loss to the modelling community. People are unlikely to retire on the profits from plans, but they are an invaluable record and it is good news that they have not been lost forever.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2017, 08:21:29 pm »

Hi ,as far as I understand it all, Myhobby store used the in house printing facility that Traplet has, the copyright of the plans is still theirs.  I hope that we shall have access to the large number of plans that Traplet has.  But also MHS bought some magazine titles from Traplet before the administrators moved in.
regards Roy

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2017, 11:35:11 pm »

Colin

Thank you Paul's comment clarifies the situation. So not lost forever :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Mike S

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2017, 01:49:49 pm »

Bought the August issue of MMI from my local newsagent this morning, Issue No. 365. I can remember when it started up, (1987-ish?), and I think it was initially bi-monthly. Sad to see it, (and Traplet), go, but I don't think that there was enough room in the market for 2 model boating mags. I will enjoy reading the last ever issue, and keep it for posterity. Hope that the plans service will survive.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2017, 10:06:56 am »

Paul Freshney has posted a statement from Sarik Hobbies on the Model Boats Website to the effect that they will be taking over certain of the former Traplet products and services (but not the magazines).

See here:

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=129165&p=1

Colin

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2017, 01:18:26 pm »

Paul Freshney has posted a statement from Sarik Hobbies on the Model Boats Website to the effect that they will be taking over certain of the former Traplet products and services (but not the magazines).

See here:

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=129165&p=1

Colin

The offer of a Varmint plan in pdf in the above posting works well. Already received mine.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2017, 10:46:28 pm »

Ordered a copy of MMI  online  today as local Smiths never stock it  Sucks cos I already subscribe to it  as I do to the other one

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2017, 11:29:09 am »

Arrived just now  under 24 hours pretty good

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2017, 04:33:27 pm »

New update from Sarik as of 8 August 2017:

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=129165&p=2

Colin

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2017, 10:44:24 pm »

It's also worth cancelling your Standing Orders [SO] or Direct Debits [DD] at your bank for your Subscription payments [whether they be quarterly or annually], otherwise these could continue to pay money into the Traplet bank account. Mine has been cancelled - and I have a large package sent to me from The Administrator as a Creditor of Traplet Publications - and I have met a lot of folk that have not done this yet.
That said, it appears that although the Canterbury WHSmith branch did not have any MMI magazines [and they normally have copious numbers], they are in at Ramsgate and Dover [from a good source - 17-09].
Kim Belcher
[Canterbury Coxswain]

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2017, 10:57:49 pm »

I hope you got paid for your article on the Dortmund show Kim!

Incidentally I sent you a PM re the article

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2017, 11:50:45 pm »

I managed to get a copy of the last publication, I presume, August 2017, along with the same for Model Boats, and I was surprised with the difference in quality of content, and the page for page number per edition.

it is sad, as in their heyday they were comparable in quantity and quality, but no more. I wonder if all the publications in the stable were the same, and if so, it is no wonder that the decline of the company was inevitable.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2017, 12:44:48 pm »

The offer of a Varmint plan in pdf in the above posting works well. Already received mine.

Got the Varmint plan printed this morning at the local branch of Office Outlet.  Superb AO size print, exactly to size, for the princely sum of £4 as opposed to the Traplet price of £12.50 + P&P. 

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2017, 01:26:12 pm »

Hi all.  I bought a 2 sheet Model Boats magazine plan from Traplet a few months ago, It was £12.50 + p&p + a handling charge!  I refused to pay the handling charge and it was removed.
regards Roy

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2017, 01:31:37 pm »

Hi spearfish99

Our local print shop has the same service and also I can resize the plan to my requirements.
My 1920's Gentleman's Runabout I had resize from 750 to 850mm.
PDF file of both sizes as well !!!
The only thing I had to play around with is the frame cut outs for the stringers and keel.

Canabus

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »

Hi roycv
You pay full price which should have handling in within.
That to me is company's value adding to make more money.
Greed !!!!!!!!!!!!
I would not paid 12.50 for a plan, because living in Australia it equals to about $20AU plus p&p about the same price again.
$40 plus for a plan is too pricey.
I only paid $200 for a 46" Vosper Crash Tender with no radio and running gear with plans and frame drawings.

Canabus

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2017, 02:47:02 pm »

See Paul Freshney's comments re cost on Model Boats website. People don't always appreciate the reasoning behind the pricing structure.

But of course if you think it is too expensive then don't buy it! Also remember that every other month in Model Boats a plan is included with the magazine.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2017, 03:47:26 pm »

Hello Canabus, Colin.  The plan I bought was for the G.G. design for Union Castle cargo liner.  It was advertised in the magazine at £12.50 + p&p, there was no mention of a handling charge. 
I buy and keep all my plans, I have the first plan I bought which was for Bustler by Vic Smeed at 3/- (three shillings, 15p). Incidently p&p was 10 % of plan cost.  That was back in the mid 50s, I enjoy looking at plans and building in my head, if it stays in my head for a week or so I think about  building.
So I am happy to pay for the plan and appreciate the time it takes for the designer to put it all on paper and happily pay him his royalty.

To follow on from Paul's offer of the Varmint plan, as there are so many print shops around maybe there could be an option of being able to download a plan for a small amount and then the buyer gets the printing done? 
This would eliminate the human input and one off situation at the end of a telephone, albeit that I can also order on line, but the handling charge was the last item to appear on the screen, hence the phone call.

Now if I had the plan mentioned above on a file I would have got it printed a little smaller, my choice, and I read Glynn's reasons for his choice of scale.  But it would have been built!
As in a previous thread I am now looking at MV Arran (cost 5/-) and now I also have the Jim Pottinger plan for Bute to hand, thanks for the info Colin.
I would still like to have the free full size plans in Model Boats though.

regards Roy

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2017, 04:19:14 pm »

See Paul Freshney's comments re cost on Model Boats website. People don't always appreciate the reasoning behind the pricing structure.

But of course if you think it is too expensive then don't buy it! Also remember that every other month in Model Boats a plan is included with the magazine.

Colin

After reading Paul's statement that break even point for plans is 30+ , perhaps roycv's suggestion of paying a licence fee to download a copy of the plan has a lot of merit.  If ,as Canabus points out, foreign (ie not UK) readers get hammered by postage so much that they are put off purchasing plans for models that stir an interest, an internet based approach may be the answer and more plans might actually get sold. Presumably most of the postage goes to the relevant postal service and will be of little benefit directly to Sarik/ Model Boats. 

I also have to say that , given how long a large number of the plans have been available, I wouldn't think that the sellers would still be paying out to long departed designers !

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2017, 04:47:20 pm »

I think it is fair to say that there could be scope for changing the business model re plans. Bear in mind that there are not just boats but aircraft and engineering drawings and plans as well as published in the other magazines.

I suspect the problem may simply be that whichever way you do it, the plans do not make much money and the company may simply not feel that overhauling and updating the system is commercially worthwhile. When you look at the posts on Mayhem, you do get a distinct impression that the people building hits, purchasing RTR or ARTR or buying pre loved models on Ebay considerably exceeds the number of people who are building from plans.

If there was a golden moneymaking opportunity here then you can be sure somebody would be making the most of it but it appear that in reality there is not.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2017, 05:42:13 pm »

Hi Colin, maybe there is a halfway house here with current plans which I suspect may already be digitised being available in this way?
The old ones must have a very slow uptake, so not worth digitising, I just hope the originals last and that there are no accidents. 
I believe some old ones from the Deason era are missing.  I responded to an enquiry some years ago as I have one of the 'lost' sailing boat plans.
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2017, 06:16:09 pm »

Roy,

Yes, I believe plans in recent years have been digitised and it is also true to say that many of the old simplified ones are probably only of nostalgic value but there were a lot of older scale plans of very good quality and which should continue to form part of any long term archive.

As I think I have said before, Ideally the best bet would be for the plans to be held by a not for profit organisation which could tap into enthusiasts time at little or no expense to build a comprehensive digital database. This has already been suggested on the model flying forum. But even if not for profit with donated free time I think it would still be problematical to get the sums right. Whoever was running the show would certainly need to go digital with internet based distribution to have any hope of making it work.

There is still the problem of upfront costs in digitising the hard copy plans you would want to retain in the collection, and of course in acquiring the copyright from the publishers.

Nothing is impossible but there are difficulties....

Colin

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2017, 07:17:44 pm »

Greed !!!!!!!!!!!!
I would not paid 12.50 for a plan, because living in Australia it equals to about $20AU plus p&p about the same price again.
$40 plus for a plan is too pricey.
Canabus

you have obviously never enquired to our great British institution, the Greenwich Maritime Museum regarding Ship plans.

I shall not frighten you, but for a full set of plans for an intricate model of such as a warship, it would be cheaper to by a second hand family car, lol.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.