Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marine Modelling International Magazine?  (Read 28485 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Marine Modelling International Magazine?
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2017, 08:05:10 pm »

A plans sharing service for mainly aircraft but including boats seems to be one answer.  www.aerofred.com   I have no experience of them except getting their newsletter on a regular basis via email.  A question about their boat list might be worth following up.  They can also print plans or send pdf, based in Portugal it is all English language. Been going for ten years or so. Anybody fancy a boat model plan query to them ?
..well can you land on this?

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Marine Modelling International Magazine?/MB Free Plans
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2017, 12:42:25 am »

For what it is worth, do not forget that there are numerous free plans available on the web.

Because MB will now have no competition what is the guarantee that they, MB, will continue to provide the odd "free" plan.

As for the "plan" the subject is generally restrictive in appeal. This uses MB's own yardstick namely worlds best seller so the "plan has world wide appeal?????

In the case of the Pottinger plans, they lack construction detail as stated on the drawings so in effect they can be classed as sketches to build from.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2017, 07:07:15 am »

Hi All
The  digitising of plans is the way to go, as a few have said they have old plans that people thought were lost.
I would pay a fair price for a plan( also remembering it still requires printing out) as I have a very good local printers close and handy.
Removing the p&p and handling would save money.
A number of my club member resize the plans from around 24" to 36" models.
I have seen on EBAY a place in Canada that sells some of the old plans, but, I have not bought any a this point.
This is a site I found interesting on old boats
http://www.rcgroups.com/vintage-and-old-timer-boats-849/

Canabus

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2017, 08:22:58 am »

Hi all, I was reluctant to mention AeroFred, I have their email updates and the content of model boats is quite good.  But there are a number of MM plans on there which I would guess if they printed them would infringe copywrite laws.

The Aircraft content is predominent but there are some nice and unusual boat plans.  I costed one of them at 6 euros including p&p.  A nice touch is that you can specify the scale or size of the plan.

But downloading is free, there is a note on the web site saying they are not there for modellers to take free plans but to pool and share plans.  Read into that what you will.
There are sellers on ebay who offer discs full of plans, I have not seen the contents but the plans have to come from somewhere, so someone is being cut out of a return for work done.

Further thoughts on Model Boat magazine plans might be that overseas subscriptions could have the pdf service available. Costing might be made for the purchase of the plan less the printing and postage costs, leaving all the production cost and profit intact.  So the magazine does not lose out.

regards Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2017, 08:37:22 am »

Considering the OP was The magazine and probably only a handful of people buy plans as opposed to the magazine whats Plans got to do with it

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2017, 02:18:45 pm »

There is a new statement from Sarik Hobbies concerning the setting up of their new retail operation to replace the Traplet shop posted by Paul Freshney on the Model Boats website:

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=129165&p=2

Colin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2017, 09:51:03 am »

Can't wait to have a look at the new website and see what's on offer.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2017, 09:55:49 am »

Same stuff as before I think you will find.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2017, 06:35:21 pm »

Got my memorial copy Saturday, from W H Smiths, got the first, got the last and many, many in-between.

Having trouble with this magazine....  seems I have to teach my armchair to read first!   ;)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2017, 07:42:41 am »

I know that you can digitise a printed copy of a plan but the problem with a pdf, as has been suggested, is that effectively you have sold unlimited copies to an unlimited number of people for the price of the single download.

Having said that I would love to be able to print 2 copies. One to cut up & mess up and one to keep.

Robert Smith

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2017, 07:21:01 pm »

What happens to those who pay for the magazine by direct debit?

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2017, 07:25:00 pm »

Contact your bank and cancel the direct debit.

LB

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2017, 09:57:13 pm »

I know that you can digitise a printed copy of a plan but the problem with a pdf, as has been suggested, is that effectively you have sold unlimited copies to an unlimited number of people for the price of the single download.

Having said that I would love to be able to print 2 copies. One to cut up & mess up and one to keep.

Yep, that's why I'm scanning the drawings that I'm going to build from. I could then just print from the pdf's and adjust the scale accordingly but I'm tracing the pdf's using a drawing program and making some modifications.

Good thing about using drawing software is that you can resize as much as you want and the quality remains high. Alter the pdf's too much and the quality suffers especially if the original isn't too clever.

You are right about pdf downloads though. Nothing to stop anyone giving a copy to as many of their friends as they want.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2017, 10:00:02 pm »

Same stuff as before I think you will find.

Colin

Oh right. I thought from the information given that they'd be providing even more plans than before from different sources and offering kits etc.

Chris

Vic Thomas

• Shipmate
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2017, 12:28:18 pm »

BMFA tells me that a new owner for Traplet will be up and running shortly.  Vic Thomas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.