Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasabi 900e running gear ( Fast electric )  (Read 38504 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Wasabi 900e running gear ( Fast electric )
« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2017, 03:58:36 pm »

Those motors would have been much cheaper from china from tfl or any outlet selling them  in the USA rather than paying euro prices.90 euros for that motor is a bit much .

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2017, 04:05:56 pm »

:-)) Cheers for that, I'll search for them else were,but that's what I've decided on  :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2017, 04:50:26 pm »

Not sure if Jan has heard anything about these motors,this one is a car motor so might not have the torque of the sss series but at this price it might  be worth a try,ive used the leopard car motors before now with no problems .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOMCAT-1-5-RC-Car-Brushless-Motor-4-Pole-1650KV-1T-TC-CAR-4082-KV1650-/282533074413?hash=item41c84895ed:g:GoYAAOSwCkZZR3xZ

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2017, 05:55:12 pm »

Hi Grant,

If you want to use a 4082 motor, it's wise to order a motormount for that motor, the 4074 mount will be too short:
https://www.tfl-hobby.de/Motore--Halter--usw-/Motorhalter-Elektro/motorhalter-fuer-4082-und-4092.html
Also this mount only has room for a 68 mm cooling jacket, the 70 mm one you listed will be too long.

I'll make some pictures of a spare wiredrive I have here tomorrow, the ones at the TFL site are similar; in stead of the endpiece with a flexshaft welded onto it, the flexshaft is replaced by the 2 mm wire drive, hence the need to order the endpiece with the appropriate hole drilled into it.

@Martin: I use the TFL Europ shop as reference, easy to have everything in one place.
No worries, I was going to look for other sellers to get the parts (a lot) cheaper once Grant had decided on what to get.

I must say I have no experience with the motors from that link, but have read favourable posts about the similar priced GoolRC motors.
Not sure if these can keep up with the SSS motors though.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2017, 11:47:27 pm »

Wire drive info:
https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?26887-Spartan-wire-drives
Picture of wiredrive:
https://www.rc-raceboats.de/shop/ruder-wellenanlagen/wellen-flex-starr-powertrim/federstahl-kompaktwellenanlage-600er-variom-bbb-expert.html

I'll add some pictures of the wire drive I have here tomorrow/ later today (oops, is that the time?)...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2017, 10:37:16 am »

Personally i always use flexshaft setups never used a wire drive ,can you still get the correct angle at the stinger drive with a wire drive ? . No experience with them to be honest .

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2017, 10:46:20 am »

Cheers, I read a lot about both, and both have there good and bad points from looking at it from the outside it does seem the flexishaft is the best way to go, until things are explained. There are obviously hundreds that prefer the wire and the same as for flexishaft.

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2017, 12:44:41 pm »

Found the sss motors for good price which size would be good the 4082-1600kv or the 4082-1850kv

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2017, 02:01:37 pm »

The goolrc motors are unavailable in UK postal so it's only the Sss motor 4082-1600kv is this a suitable motor? It's a good price too??

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2017, 02:47:30 pm »

Hi Grant,

Comparing the SSS and GoolRC 4082-1600Kv specs, I don't see a lot of differences, so I'd go for the cheapest one and use the  you save for the watercooling jacket...
It's possible they are being made in the same factory with different prints on them.

1600Kv on 6S is right in the ballpark (32000 rpm under load).

If you look long enough the price comes down even more:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Original-GoolRC-High-Performance-4082-1600KV-4-Poles-Brushless-Sensorless-Motor-for-1000mm-or-Above-RC/32741832599.html?spm=a2g0z.10010108.1000016.1.38b944afGikyPB&isOrigTitle=true

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2017, 02:49:07 pm »

Great

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2017, 02:52:47 pm »

Can't find any available for UK shipment, and where was the blue one??

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2017, 02:59:33 pm »

It only works out £8 cheaper and I think it's better to go with a known quality in the boating circles than a car brushless motor.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2017, 03:09:14 pm »

It only works out £8 cheaper and I think it's better to go with a known quality in the boating circles than a car brushless motor.
Hi Grant,

To be honest, I think the major difference between the blue and black motors is the way the wires exit the can, wattage wise there should not be a lot of difference, unless there are major design differences which we can't see from the outside....
Having the wires exit the can 'car style' is a nuisance in a boat when using a motormount with a support ring...
You'll need a motormount and jacket, check first which size jacket will fit the mount:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Original-GoolRC-Aluminum-40-L-Water-Cooling-Jacket-Cover-for-4082-4092-RC-Boat-Brushless-Motor/32737895627.html?spm=a2g0z.search0304.4.42.WaypGc
The 72 mm of the one in the link may be too long...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2017, 05:13:58 pm »

I have now ordered from the far reaches of the world, not the usual for me, but I've learnt a lesson saved my self quite a few bob, well as long as it arrives in one piece all together....... :-))
Flycolor 150amp esc
SSS motor 4082-1600kv
Tfl rudder
Tfl power trim 4.76 77mm
Silicone tubing
Water jacket
2 x 3s 6000mah lipo
Stainless steel push rod
Savox waterproof servo

Now all I need is ???
One question as I'm now on for it does the splashing rail on both sides run from transom to front?? I've seen from past posts that Martin has included how to do the rails with extending the sides and filling with filler ?. Just normal wood filler or carbody filler  {:-{

Where as in the plans the transom runs flat and the cockpit has none at all shape, I will be changing to give it a better appearance.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: August 20, 2017, 05:22:39 pm »

Hi Grant,

The weather wasn't good overhere so I had to take pictures in between rain showers, the lighting isn't as good as I would have liked, but you'll get the idea.

The pictures show the wire drive I'm using in the bulk of my boats from 70 - 90 cm, like the Arowana in my earlier pictures.

The motor is my SSS 4074-2200Kv for size.

The drive has a two part solid section, the Ø 4 mm endpiece and the Ø 2 mm wire to the coupler, joined by silver solder.
As there's no adjustment, the 4 mm section is rather long, for a longer distance between the three ballbearings in the stuffing tube; one in the middle and two at the prop side.

The thinner section around the Ø2 mm has a Teflon liner to avoid whipping.

The other pictures show the 4074 bolted onto the 70 mm long motorflange with the 5 x 2 mm coupler inside.
No allignment issues.

This wire drive is for my JetChopper30, currently waiting to be assembled.

When using a powertrim and a wet well, the endpiece is shorter, it fits inside the endpiece and the 2 mm part is longer and runs inside the stuffing tube, with the Teflon liner.
The stuffing tube stops at the rubber seal of the wet well and the liner runs all the way into the powertrim.
That way the section inside the wet well can move to accomodate the angle adjustment (if required).

I make it a point to position the stuffing tube in the hull at the correct height and angle, so I can use this type of wire drive and don't have the extra work of installing a wet well...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2017, 05:31:50 pm »

Now all I need is ???

A couple of 3S Lipo's (or blocks the size and weight of those lipos) so you can play with their position and that of the motor in the hull, getting the balance point right and (very important!) determen the maximum volume of the floodchamber in relation to the position of the heavy objects in the hull.

A wire drive or flexshaft and a fitting coupler.

One question as I'm now on for it does the splashing rail on both sides run from transom to front?? I've seen from past posts that Martin has included how to do the rails with extending the sides and filling with filler ?. Just normal wood filler or carbody filler  {:-{

That's what I would do.

Where as in the plans the transom runs flat and the cockpit has none at all shape, I will be changing to give it a better appearance.
Be carefull with altering the top of the design, motorised as planned, at full throttle, the aerodynamics of the top most certainly plays a big part in the handling (or lack of).

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: August 20, 2017, 05:44:07 pm »

I purchased those batteries you had suggested hrb I think got 2 3s lipos, so I will be able to play with positioning. With regards to the filler normal wood or carbody filler?
Do you have a link with the rubber seal for the wet well ?
I worked out I need a Teflon liner along with a brass tube along with a flex shaft and collet. What prop size would I be looking to research
Many thanks Grant

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: August 20, 2017, 09:23:09 pm »

Hi Grant,

Right, it slipped my mind you already had ordered HRB Lipo's...

The rubber seal at the end of the wet well depends on the size of the wet well tube; it should be some kind of a rubber grommet used for steering rods, just a larger size, fitting over the end of the wet well with the brass tube in the middle, supple enough to allow some up and down movement of the stuffing tube, while the Teflon liner does the actual bending when the powertrim is moved up or down.
We're talking 1-2°, as installing the powertrim at the correct height in the transom to begin with is the best way to avoid the need for excessive bending of the propshaft.

I'll have to look into that, as I've never used a wet well / flooded stuffing tube.
Different sizes silicone tubing spring to mind...
Some light reading on the subject: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?49967-quick-and-easy-flooded-stuffing-tube
Larger boat, but the principle remains the same:
https://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/monster-mono.36635/

As you're building in wood, this is also an option (#5):
https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?45106-Flooded-tube-question&highlight=flooded+stuffing+tube
Just not soo large please...

Props for this size boat and motor are from 42 mm upwards to 48 mm, both two and three blade.
I would not buy metal props, but start with the Graupner 2317 series, these are carbon filled props with a drivedog fitting for the 4.75 endpiece you need.
Get at least one 2317.42, one 2317.45 one 2317.48 to start with, so you can get a feel for which size prop works best.
Once you've dialed in the boat and you're comfortable with running the boat full throttle in light chop at 50  mph, you can think about getting a metal equivalent of the prop(s) you prefer to run in different conditions.
If the ampdraw stays within reason, you can even try a 2317.51, but you'll have to watch the temps on Lipo's, ESC and motor.

The Graupner props don't require sharpening and balancing, which is a must for metal props.
Most metal props need to have the blades thinned, sharpened and balanced to work properly.
Exceptions are the aluminium CNC props, but these are not my favourites, as the soft material dents easily and fixing that is hard to impossible without ruining the prop (even more).

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2017, 10:10:52 pm »

More reading and pics on the flooded tube:
https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?22860-DF-Sniper-45-T-Mono-Build-Target-100mph&styleid=7

These large monohulls are something special and, when powered with brushless, will make a serious dent in your wallet...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: August 20, 2017, 10:44:40 pm »

Cheers Jan

Gaci4

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2017, 04:28:45 am »

Silly question which way does the prop turn ?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2017, 06:08:00 am »

Silly question which way does the prop turn ?
Look at the prop and im sure you can work it out yourself  :D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.