Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual standard?  (Read 3754 times)

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
Dual standard?
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:51:06 am »

Why is it illegal for a normal motorist to use a mobile phone whilst driving, but not for a Police Officer whilst driving?

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: Dual standard?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:23:38 pm »

Hi
Add in truck and taxi drivers, also push bikers!!!
Canabus

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 12:39:33 pm »

It is illegal for a police driver, one was apparently prosecuted according to a report last week.

Oh, and add Mums on the school run to the list....

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:46:12 pm »

In [NSW] Australia it is illegal  :police: to use a mobile telephone whilst in control [driving] a motor vehicle......however no such Law precludes a driver from eating a Mc Donnies burger & swilling a can of Cola whilst in control [driving] that same said motor vehicle

Naturally if the Mortician found traces of Mc Donnies and Cola spread across any deceased persons in such an unfortunate incident, the Coroner may find reason to suspect inattention to the Road Rules O0
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:51:34 pm »

It also appears to be a dual Standard in certain States of America....where it is illegal to fire a gun at an Officer of the Police Force.......however the same does not appear to be a crime if a Police Officer fires a gun and kills a member of their Community.......?

The Land of the Free? ;D
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 12:58:37 pm »

Why is it illegal for a normal motorist to use a mobile phone whilst driving, but not for a Police Officer whilst driving?

Not really a dual standard, after all wouldn't you want the Police Officer to be able to call for help, back up, etc during say a pursuit.
Also they are allowed to disregard road rules to apprehend law breakers such when fleeing the scene of a crime.

It is because of this so called Dual standard that crooks are allowed to flee from Police with impunity.

Bottom line, law breakers have toooooooooooooo many rights, that's the dual standard.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 01:06:45 pm »

I was under the impression that police officers had radios fitted to their cars so should not have to rely on their mobile phones to call for backup but maybe things are different down under? Budget cuts perhaps?

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 01:17:00 pm »

At least you can expect the Police driver being in full cognisance even though multitasking . The problem with most motorists when on the phone is that they are mono tasking.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 01:29:05 pm »

I was under the impression that police officers had radios fitted to their cars so should not have to rely on their mobile phones to call for backup but maybe things are different down under? Budget cuts perhaps?

Colin
In the U.K., only traffic patrol and some CID vehicles are fitted with radios. I think the anomaly comes where a police officer can use his personal radio quite legally. These days in many forces the radio is also a mobile phone.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 01:54:05 pm »

In [NSW] Australia it is illegal  :police: to use a mobile telephone whilst in control [driving] a motor vehicle......however no such Law precludes a driver from eating a Mc Donnies burger & swilling a can of Cola whilst in control [driving] that same said motor vehicle

was told by a policeman who came to my house after making a complaint against a motorist on the phone cutting me up on my scooter........that police use their phones if their radios are not functioning correctly[oh yehhhh.......I believe that] and unless the police actually see the driver using a phone they will not pursue the matter, and as for eating whilst driving he said that it takes less concentration  to drive whilst eating than when on a phone talking......work that one out, lol :police:

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 03:48:15 pm »

You can eat a pizza on a desmo Ducati

As long as you are on the Naples  bypass!

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 04:28:35 pm »

In Ontario Canada it is illegal to do anything that distracts or interferes with your ability to operate the vehicle, cellphone use is an extra charge. So if you cause an accident while eating something and the officer feels that that was the cause you get charged with Distracted Driving etc. This can apply to smoking and even  turning to talk to someone in the back seat. Driving is a privilege not a right.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 04:56:01 pm »

Tell that to the darkened window Audi
drivers in the North of England

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 05:09:09 pm »

In Ontario Canada it is illegal to do anything that distracts or interferes with your ability to operate the vehicle, cellphone use is an extra charge. So if you cause an accident while eating something and the officer feels that that was the cause you get charged with Distracted Driving etc. This can apply to smoking and even  turning to talk to someone in the back seat. Driving is a privilege not a right.
Gerald.

Would imagine the same pertains in the UK or does the offence of "driving without due care and attention" no longer exist.?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 05:36:33 pm »

I remember a phone in on the BBC about this and a helicopter pilot said that he had to do so many things at once, 'just hanging in there' that driving a car, looking around and using a phone was not much of a test of his training.

Personally I find some people unable to walk straight when on their mobile let alone drive a car as well.
regards Roy

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 05:46:32 pm »

While these laws do exist on the books, most police forces are so specialized that trying to find the "Traffic Officer" to inforce them is almost imposable. What usually happens is when there is an accident and the proper officer arrives and feels that one party is clearly at fault, they then go through the book and add all kinds of charges knowing that most of them will  be thrown out, but hope a few will stick.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 06:22:37 pm »

Would imagine the same pertains in the UK or does the offence of "driving without due care and attention" no longer exist.?

oh yes............in fact only a week or so ago 2 scumbags ran a red light at speed in Blackpool by the airport and killed a chap on a small motorcycle at tea time. they were both charged with causing death by driving without due care and attention..........but why they weren't charged with death by dangerous driving god only knows.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 09:45:34 pm »

There are a variety of shades of offence as seen here: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_prosecuting_cases_of_bad_driving/ 

Regarding the Policeman who was found guilty: The Policeman was in his own car I recall and so not on duty.
Pond weed is your enemy

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 03:32:04 am »

Colin

No, they use mobiles because they can photograph suspects, number plates, etc and transmit the image for identification.
Mobiles are also used because they are now digital and surpass conventional radios. However a mobile phone is not a telephone it is a microwave radio with roaming frequencies much like the new 2.4 radios.
It is referred to as a mobile phone, Australian terminology, (cellular phone USA), that is because the base station (tower) feeds to the nearest telephone exchange and is then forwarded to the recipient number via exchanges thence tower.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 06:57:26 am »

Never been convinced that anything is improved by introducing new legislation for a single offence which is already covered by established law.

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 09:02:08 am »

Are police vehicles not fitted with "hands free?"  Certainly Fire Service vehicles had to be when single crewed, such as duty Officers etc.

In addition, there was a program on the TV not so long ago that featured a young police woman who ran a dog unit who rang her husband on her personal mobile on the way back from a cal,l to check in with him whilst returning from a call.  Don't seem to remember any flack from that despite being aired on national TV.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 05:30:26 pm »

It also appears to be a dual Standard in certain States of America....where it is illegal to fire a gun at an Officer of the Police Force idiot hired as a publicity stunt .......however the same does not appear to be a crime if a Police Officer idiot hired as a publicity stunt fires a gun and kills a member of their Community.......?

The Land of the Free? ;D

fixed that for you.

and i agree, i hope to heII that the lawyer hired by her family rips that police force for as much money as they possibly can, as well as bringing that idiot up on murder charges.....  the outcry over that has already forced their Chief of Police to resign

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 11:59:41 pm »

Your actions of changing the words and meaning of a quoted text comment then still implying that the original author stated the work by the embodiment "quote from:" is plagiarism [ <*<:police: ]

In this case, if a new reader were to read your posting......they would see the "quoted text” as clearly questionable and possibly ill informed…and by the original author

These actions suggests you may not have any formal Journalistic understanding or qualification as this cannot even be considered within the limitations of Journalistic Licence 

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiZ0JSOuaXVAhWMk5QKHS1lAV8QFggnMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plagiarism.org%2Farticle%2Fquoting-material&usg=AFQjCNFM9_FNGIwDIGrhQdYFeaqGJy4GkA

extract: from the above

"Most of the time, you can just identify a source and quote from it. Sometimes, however, you will need to modify the words or format of the quotation in order to fit in your paper. Whenever you change the original words of your source, you must indicate that you have done so. Otherwise, you would be claiming the original author used words that he or she did not use. But be careful not to change too many words! You could accidentally change the meaning of the quotation, and falsely claim the author said something they did not"

MBM rules cover the copy of quotations which is completely acceptable, however the same rules do not mention or define plagiarism in quotations

You could say that you think that this derekwarner person has his facts upside down and as such he is a Dingbat!....from this, in true OZ spirit I would take them on the chin & accept your thoughts and comments as those of your own....

I have openly admitted that through our education, certain qualities of Dingbatish behaviour may apply....however not in this case 

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 05:33:03 am »

Derek (or perhaps you are his decoy?),

if you are replying to my "modification" of your original posting about the horrible situation in Minneapolis (and the impact on at least one family in australia), i do apologize if you felt i was implying that you were wrong in your post about it.  I was intending to mock the police force of Minneapolis, for their inept handling of the entire situation from beginning to (not yet) end.   i was not in any way intending the focus to be on you.

Tim

ps,

generally speaking "fixed that for you", or "FTFY" has been overtaken as internet slang for "sarcasm"...  altering a previous quote as a sarcastic reply...

Your actions of changing the words and meaning of a quoted text comment then still implying that the original author stated the work by the embodiment "quote from:" is plagiarism [ <*<:police: ]

In this case, if a new reader were to read your posting......they would see the "quoted text” as clearly questionable and possibly ill informed…and by the original author

These actions suggests you may not have any formal Journalistic understanding or qualification as this cannot even be considered within the limitations of Journalistic Licence 

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiZ0JSOuaXVAhWMk5QKHS1lAV8QFggnMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plagiarism.org%2Farticle%2Fquoting-material&usg=AFQjCNFM9_FNGIwDIGrhQdYFeaqGJy4GkA

extract: from the above

"Most of the time, you can just identify a source and quote from it. Sometimes, however, you will need to modify the words or format of the quotation in order to fit in your paper. Whenever you change the original words of your source, you must indicate that you have done so. Otherwise, you would be claiming the original author used words that he or she did not use. But be careful not to change too many words! You could accidentally change the meaning of the quotation, and falsely claim the author said something they did not"

MBM rules cover the copy of quotations which is completely acceptable, however the same rules do not mention or define plagiarism in quotations

You could say that you think that this derekwarner person has his facts upside down and as such he is a Dingbat!....from this, in true OZ spirit I would take them on the chin & accept your thoughts and comments as those of your own....

I have openly admitted that through our education, certain qualities of Dingbatish behaviour may apply....however not in this case 

Derek

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 11:39:28 am »

Hi
We are sorry this is happen to your family as I have police officers and defense people in my family.
The law, if broke on either side must be kept right!!!
As for the guns laws in America, we changed the gun laws in Australia after the Port Arthur, Tasmania shooting.
We were heading to Port Arthur that today, but, a family member was taken ill and we took them to the doctor so we call the trip off!!!
Dam luck and our family member recovered two days later.
It has not fully stop the gun problem, but, it has made a large impact.
Having a gun or car license is not a right!!!
Sorry if I got on a bandwagon.

Canabus   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.