Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: petrol and diesel car ban  (Read 10725 times)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
petrol and diesel car ban
« on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:24 pm »

by 2040.............

Are they going to ban cows and horses from farting in the same bill, lol.......... {-) {-) {-) {-) :police: :police: :police:

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: petrol and diesel car ban
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:42:36 pm »

Jim......I thought VOLVO had mentioned reverting to and only producing horsie draw vehicles by that same 2040? O0........ Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 11:56:31 pm »

Jim......I thought VOLVO had mentioned reverting to and only producing horsie draw vehicles by that same 2040? O0 ........ Derek

Wonder how many airbags will be fitted to them,  %% %%

Jim.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 03:17:25 am »

Airbags?.......

No they will not have been invented by 2040 & young Mr Takada is now still a fledgling manufacturer of horse feed bags...but you never can tell what the future holds %)

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:57:00 am »

I can remember the old days when horse manure was a serious pollutant on our roads. Not that it stayed there long as after the milkman's horse had performed it's evacuation the neighbours would all rush out with their buckets and shovels in order to gather it to put around their roses. Sometimes quite nasty fights broke out between those arguing whose house it was deposited outside.
 Perhaps we will see the return of those times.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:14:59 am »

Its going to be a huge infrastructure job digging the slots in the roads and putting the metal rails in to give automatic steering and power pick up.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:43:30 am »

On a more serious note what happens to all the classic cars that rely on petrol or diesel to run. I know one day the fuel will run out but it's not going to be in the next 22 years! If they ban petrol or diesel what's going to happen to them?
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 11:02:59 am »

On a more serious note what happens to all the classic cars that rely on petrol or diesel to run. I know one day the fuel will run out but it's not going to be in the next 22 years! If they ban petrol or diesel what's going to happen to them?

from what I presume and deduce, they are "only"  going to ban the sale of new cars powered by petrol and diesel, which are also the least polluting vehicles on the road, compared with old classics..........just shows what moronic advisors the successive governments employ to tell them what rules n regs to make.

I wouldn't employ 95% of these idiot "advisors" to advise me on how to butter toast, never mind how to toast it......there'd be too many quangos set up just to formulate a 5,000,000 word report on the best way........and then they'd have to set up another on how to toast brown bread, because they'd banned white bread as unhealthy..........am I a cynic or what, lol.

Jim.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:13:50 am »

Its going to be a huge infrastructure job digging the slots in the roads and putting the metal rails in to give automatic steering and power pick up.

Let's not forget the "cross over chicane" and the big mechanical lap counter. {-) {-) {-)
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 12:53:59 pm »

BBMF will also be grounded.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 12:57:30 pm »

Let's not forget the "cross over chicane" and the big mechanical lap counter. {-) {-) {-)
And then someone drops a giant paperclip across the powerrails.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 02:23:55 pm »

I pity those who only have off street parking, may be some distance from their house and are unable to charge their cars overnight. Unless cars can be charged in 3 minutes at 'filling stations' the queues are going to be long....

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 03:01:22 pm »

Hi I was reading about LiFe cells (as you do!) and apparently they can be charged very quickly, a car battery in 15 - 20 minutes.  They have less storage / density capacity but are much more stable in high current conditions.
regards Roy

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 05:14:27 pm »

See http://nanoflowcell.com/

This is like a fuel cell but it comprises 2 liquids that, when spent, can be emptied at the filling station and re-filled in a few minutes.
The spent liquid tank can be hydrolised back into new fuel - probably with a wind generator at the filling station running 24/7 or a solar farm.

All the advantages and convenience of fossil fuel with the 'green-ness' of electric cars.

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 05:58:41 pm »

See http://nanoflowcell.com/

This is like a fuel cell but it comprises 2 liquids that, when spent, can be emptied at the filling station and re-filled in a few minutes.
The spent liquid tank can be hydrolised back into new fuel - probably with a wind generator at the filling station running 24/7 or a solar farm.

All the advantages and convenience of fossil fuel with the 'green-ness' of electric cars.
Well I know of a system very New tec  and you may think what im about to say that its old but that is NOT it Three elements ? Air, electric, and Water? that's all Im saying Zero imissions as well? but trying to get the gov to listen is a bind, heres one for you ( go on a cruse on your boat?) suck water from the front use it in turbine and excess out the back No need to carry fuel?? makes you wonder ?

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 06:54:33 pm »

I pity those who only have off street parking, may be some distance from their house and are unable to charge their cars overnight. Unless cars can be charged in 3 minutes at 'filling stations' the queues are going to be long....

This is not a problem as all households will be provided with a diesel powered generator to charge their electric cars!!
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 07:14:04 pm »

A more pressing issue that no one in authority wants to talk about is the huge amount of money the Government raises from VAT and Fuel Duty when you fill up your car/truck/bike, etc, etc. If you think this method of raising tax is going to go away, think again. There will absolutely have to be another scheme to replace this huge amount of tax.
Also, it is reported that the National Grid is often within 10% of maximum capacity. So what happens when millions of cars are all plugged in around 7pm on a dark winters evening.

Anyway ..... we'll be able to run our cars on all the Hot Air that will be expelled on this subject as the days tick by. O0

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 09:57:46 pm »

Never mind, they are only going to ban sale of NEW vehicles, we will still be using those diesels for another 20 years or so and they may increase in value due to rarity plus a roaring trade of used car imports.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 11:11:10 pm »

A more pressing issue that no one in authority wants to talk about is the huge amount of money the Government raises from VAT and Fuel Duty when you fill up your car/truck/bike, etc, etc. If you think this method of raising tax is going to go away, think again. There will absolutely have to be another scheme to replace this huge amount of tax.
Also, it is reported that the National Grid is often within 10% of maximum capacity. So what happens when millions of cars are all plugged in around 7pm on a dark winters evening.

Anyway ..... we'll be able to run our cars on all the Hot Air that will be expelled on this subject as the days tick by. O0

Yes, this is something I've raised amongst friends and colleagues a number of times and is going to be a massive problem for government.

If they are going to continue with VAT and "fuel" duty they are going to have to have separate metered supplies for domestic and car use which is going to be very difficult to implement and police or increase income tax/have a new tax for users of electric vehicles which will probably reduce the take up.

These alternative fuels like LPG are only attractive when used by a small percentage of motorists and are lightly taxed. Once mainstream and taxed accordingly we shall see.

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 12:34:07 am »

For Australia to go that way, batteries capable of giving 1000 yes 1000Km range will be needed in the outback to say nothing of replacing diesel powered road trains  %%

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 02:46:52 am »

For Australia to go that way, batteries capable of giving 1000 yes 1000Km range will be needed in the outback to say nothing of replacing diesel powered road trains  %%

No problem, with 15 minute charging, just stop for a beer every 200 km.  %%
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 03:34:40 am »

It's OK.......

%) our South Australian Labour Government have signed an agreement with a US Company to build & install a multi billion Amp/hour battery to supplement the SA state power grid

This is because the same dingbat Government  closed a few coal fired power stations....then a minor wind gust blew 50 wind tower generators down...[we were in the German Arms Hotel in Hahndorf eating dinner when the lights went out]

So all we will need is for each car to have a 1000 km long extension lead ....then stop for that beer  :kiss:
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 05:47:17 am »

Maybe we can get a battery that runs on beer. That way the government will still get the taxes it needs.  >:-o

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 07:38:43 am »

Taxes - is there much left untaxed, which were introduced or increased to cover the loss from all those stopping smoking.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 08:33:36 am »

Hi I was reading about LiFe cells (as you do!) and apparently they can be charged very quickly, a car battery in 15 - 20 minutes.  They have less storage / density capacity but are much more stable in high current conditions.
regards Roy

Charging is the real problem here. Whilst it is expected that battery technology will improve to make greater range, lower cost, quicker charging etc possible there is no suggestion that traction motor technology will improve that much. It is also true that we are getting ever more gadgets and that with global warming, increasing affluence etc air conditioning might become a lot less unusual. Air conditioning uses a lot of electricity.

The problem will arise with the amount of electricity demanded by all the electric cars to be recharged. Your domestic supply might cope with one car but many families have two, three or four when kids still live at home. They all get home at 6pm and put their cars on to charge + start cooking the evening meal. The generation/ distribution/ your house system is just not designed to cope with that sort of load. As has been reported we need lots of new power sources and the ability to distribute/store the power. Wind turbines might help but if say the South East of England is having a very calm few days you will still need the distribution capacity to provide all they need. This is a massive problem and as usual political sound bites have ignored the difficulties.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.