Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: petrol and diesel car ban  (Read 10645 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: petrol and diesel car ban
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2017, 01:00:46 pm »

I've already got two (Audi and a Skoda). The Audi is a keeper for my retirement, but when we change the Skoda Yeti (great car) we may well be looking to move away from VWG cars, depends on the Brexit deal to some extent.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2017, 01:11:38 pm »

Hi All
Change to electric scooters, no license and you can drive straight into the store for shopping.
Also I have been told the red ones go faster!!!
We have a gentleman who goes to the local shopping center and his has a full plastic roof and doors with windscreen wipers!!!
You may require a custom trailer to go model boating, but, no parking problems.
Drive straight up to the side of the pond!!!

Canabus 

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2017, 04:05:54 pm »

So as I understand it we don't actually produce enough electricity for our current needs.  In fact we are relying on a dodgy deal with the French to build the next nuclear plant which doesn't expect to be on line for about 15 years.

And we are all going to have to scrap our cars and charge 60 million new ones through our existing or modified network - bahahahhahhaha. It'll never happen!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2017, 06:01:53 pm »

So as I understand it we don't actually produce enough electricity for our current needs.  In fact we are relying on a dodgy deal with the French to build the next nuclear plant which doesn't expect to be on line for about 15 years.

And we are all going to have to scrap our cars and charge 60 million new ones through our existing or modified network - bahahahhahhaha. It'll never happen!

I have been waiting to see this point raised, I work in the electricity supply industry, and your point is entirely valid - new developments are going in, each has to have electric vehicle charging, and space for pushbikes.
one charging point has a capacity about the equivalent of 7 houses (to get the fast charge) and you may get 4 charge points per 50 houses.
a lot of older houses will not have the capacity to even slow charge a vehicle (7-10 hours) due to the size cables that supply the road or estate - for example the cable that feeds the 16 houses around mine on our estate is the same size as a cable we install to feed 1 house- even a power shower would be pushing it round here.
Added to that a lot of the old power stations are coming to end of life - many more have had their operating lifespan increased. are we building new ones - not yet - and when we start it will take 20 years to get back up to capacity.
in London things are worse, we are having to lay up to 6km of cable to get enough capacity to supply new development, in some cases all the way back to the nearest power grid substation (33,000V).
So all this talk of changing over to electric vehicles is a bit of a moot point unless the charging infrastructure and the supply infrastructure are in place first.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2017, 07:13:14 pm »

As I said it ain't going to happen in my lifetime.

And the government are going to be slow in raising their head above the parapet on the issue for as long as they can. Typical short term political thinking.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2017, 01:26:47 pm »

Hi Guys
One thing they don't talk about is the amount of pollution from power stations to make the electricity
to charge these clean cars :embarrassed:

Del

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2017, 03:22:29 pm »

I have been waiting to see this point raised, I work in the electricity supply industry, and your point is entirely valid - new developments are going in, each has to have electric vehicle charging, and space for pushbikes.
one charging point has a capacity about the equivalent of 7 houses (to get the fast charge) and you may get 4 charge points per 50 houses.
a lot of older houses will not have the capacity to even slow charge a vehicle (7-10 hours) due to the size cables that supply the road or estate - for example the cable that feeds the 16 houses around mine on our estate is the same size as a cable we install to feed 1 house- even a power shower would be pushing it round here.
Added to that a lot of the old power stations are coming to end of life - many more have had their operating lifespan increased. are we building new ones - not yet - and when we start it will take 20 years to get back up to capacity.
in London things are worse, we are having to lay up to 6km of cable to get enough capacity to supply new development, in some cases all the way back to the nearest power grid substation (33,000V).
So all this talk of changing over to electric vehicles is a bit of a moot point unless the charging infrastructure and the supply infrastructure are in place first.

The rallying call is wind turbines but I can't see anything working except a lot of gas powered power stations which are quick to build catalogue items. The big problem is distribution. The smart meter fiasco has not helped as there was a wasted opportunity to have intelligent use of electricity within a household which will not now happen & which has made the problem worse than it needs to be.

I laugh at your 4 charge points per 50 houses. Around here we need 2-4 per house and there is no public transport alternative!

As I said before it is a nice headline but with no real meat behind it.

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2017, 06:22:51 pm »

Years back our Provincial Government decided to go "Green" They shut down the few remaining coal generating stations that we had, and signed outrages contracts with wind power companies. they then discovered that in the real world unlike government halls the wind doesn't blow all the time. They then built gas powered generating stations (which pollute more then the coal ones they closed). They have neglected the nuclear power stations that we have and to pay for all this our electricity charges have gone from one of the lowest to one of the highest. they are now bringing in a carbon tax on natural gas.
Regards,
Gerald.   
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.