Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raising sail winch arm  (Read 2829 times)

Jack D

• Full Mayhemer
Raising sail winch arm
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:19:14 pm »

Hi all,

I have just completed what should have been a routine rudder servo replacement on a Micro Magic boat for my brother, but I've discovered in testing that the sail arm is now striking the rudder servo arm. This is a little odd since the old servo has been replaced like for like, It's possible that the arm was positioned slightly differently but from the range of sweep I don't think this will help.

I think the best bet is to raise up the offending sail arm by a few millimetres, but I don't have any ideas on how to do this and make sure the link is still structurally sound.
I've enclosed a picture of the setup in the boat. Ignore any cables, the RX is currently external so I can more easily attach batteries for testing.

Many thanks!

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Raising sail winch arm
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 10:18:22 pm »

The simplest way is to put washers under the screws holding the servo, lifting it slightly. 

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 02:17:04 am »

I have to agree with Hammer.
You say you changed the servos, like for like. Have you put the two servos side by side? If you have and one is not taller than the other, and the mounts are at the same level, then it is possible that a small change in how you install it could change the level, without the need for mods.

Another question, the rudder push rod is affixed with a nut and bolt, is that standard?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jack D

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:25:52 pm »

I didn't test the system with the old servo, it may have been striking before as the sail arm has enough power to pull itself over the top both ways, it's worth looking to see if I've mounted it higher though.

The connection is an E-Z servo linkage, so the point on the rod can be easily adjusted. The old one had a screw as opposed to a bolt but it rusted in salt air so I put a tougher one in.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 04:15:41 am »

On my Victoria (similar class) the rudder, servo arm and push rod are connected as in the diagram below. Not as much engineering, simpler, and more clearance. I have never had any problems with it. It might be worth considering.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.