Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Going back to cycling....  (Read 8211 times)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
Going back to cycling....
« on: July 31, 2017, 05:46:39 pm »

I really need to get sonething like fit again! not overweight just weak and tired out after a bad illness, so i've bought a bike like i had 25 years ago, a 'retro' they call them now.

Found it on ebay, only 3 miles away from home, the seller offered to bring it over for me to have a look at first, being so close to me, I had been looking for months, thought about a new one but a good one is not cheap... not what i was looking at anyway! £500-750 + easy... the seller seemed a decent chap, the write up was excellent so i went for it, just told him i'd have it, a risk i know, he delivered it  for me, I had told him I was just out of the Royal Preston Hospital...never going there again  <*<

Treament was good but....no... must resist >:-o O0

The bike is a 'Viking' make, yes you can get one from Hal----ds but those are not the 1960's-70's Viking of Wolverhampton built bikes, made somewhere in aisa i reckon, the bike sellers relative has one, big mistake he said O0
 I've bought a turbo trainer to start me off, no need to risk the roads yet!

A few photo's here.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Going back to cycling after 25 years, at 64? must be nuts!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:49:45 pm »

Very nice. I'm still bicycling at a few years on from you - We're out tomorrow cutting back brambles etc on the Sustrans route. You might find some kind of toe clip or cap useful. I hope the convalescence goes well, and enjoy!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:16:25 am »

I well recall thinking along those lines a lot of years ago, and tried riding to work.  Terrifying. A lot more traffic than I remembered.
A thing to watch out for, especially with a sports bike, is apparent speed.  When I got my growing kids bikes, they were second hand and needed a few bits n pieces.  So I rode down to a local shop.  About a mile, but over what was then a railway bridge.  Spent several minutes pretending to look at stuff in the window before I had enough breath to go in and ask for my stuff.  Subconsciously, when travelling, you get used to the scenery going past at a given rate.  But cars go faster.  Cars are lower.  Being higher slows the apparent speed so you pedal harder to make up the difference.
+1 on the toe clip & strap - it makes sure that your feet are in the right place on the pedals, stops you having your feet slide off sideways and lets you spread the load on the leg muscles by letting you pull upward as well.  So many pedal with their instep and grow thighs like carthorses.
My physical fitness regime these days consists largely of not using the car for shopping, and having a daily walking expedition to one of the local Aldi or Lidl branches and making sure that I only buy so much by not picking up a basket.  Arms full, finished for the day.  Between that and taking my boat for a walk the length of my lake as often as possible.  And diet, of course.  It seems that a "Mediterranean diet" is not pizza with ice cream afters and washed down with Grappa.  Not carrying the extra three stone around has helped a lot.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 08:56:25 am »

Ok Its today, son is here to pick me up, jon the trailer driver... 70 years young , fit as a rat catchers dog...! remember them? the catchers not the dog,!  will meet us at the place in Batley around 11am.

I'll do the deal after Ian my son, has checked the car over..I leave him to all that, no use me doing it, I'll just look at the paintwork, admire the shape and sit in the seats...all of them, wife will be critical in the extreme with this one...just brought the Audi home and said there dear your new transport ...I dont like it she said  {:-{     

we know the rest . >>:-( <*< Ian is an expert now  O0 :-))

If its what I need we'll be back later. 8) <:( %) :D

Pick one from those and start a sweepstake %%

John.

P.S Cycling?..I can....oop's more later on this bike thread  O0 8)

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:43:47 am »

Nice looking bike John, Have you had the chance to try it out yet?

Although I live in prime Olympic / Ride London / Tour of Britain territory near Surrey I tend to stay away from the roads and spend all my time dodging walkers and horses on the trails around Leith Hill.
Got myself a bike known as a Fat Bike for obvious reasons. Everyone says that must be hard work but it really isn't as bad as it may look!

Enjoy the riding when you get out there and invest in a good hat. I'm often amazed on the roads around here at people that spend thousands of pounds on a bike and all the clothing but don't wear a helmet!

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:32:25 pm »

Quick message for the moment.    its here, photo on the trailer outside park around the corner from my house. got some others and short video..not a clue what to do with video's .... more learning... late back and short of time now, lots to say on this thread and 1-2 others, tea time, i'm shot to bits after the ride to Batley and back,... all went very well no problems at all.

Relieved and happy...maybe the start of a new phase...?

Back when I find my legs and settle down a bit.

John.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:42:10 pm »

I recently bought a bike - but the pot-holes around here are so bad that it had to be mountain bike with full suspension. I even got a comfy sprung saddle for it to save my soft bum. The rock-hard road bikes are too hard-core for my flimsy bones.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 07:31:50 pm »

Quick message for the moment.    its here, photo on the trailer outside park around the corner from my house. got some others and short video..not a clue what to do with video's .... more learning... late back and short of time now, lots to say on this thread and 1-2 others, tea time, i'm shot to bits after the ride to Batley and back,... all went very well no problems at all.

Relieved and happy...maybe the start of a new phase...?

Back when I find my legs and settle down a bit.

John.

She looks very nice. I'm in the process of looking for something similar - but with a soft top to adorn the revamped garage with.

Also understand re hospitals after spending most of the last six months in two of them plus two major op's and numerous infections. The staff for the most part, were great of course but, the grub was horrible for a majority of the time and the beds almost crippled me.

LB

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 09:31:17 pm »

and the beds almost crippled me.

LB
Hi Liverbudgie
 Just had to quote that small part.

Completely wacked out beyond sensible now.
the rubber bed HAS crippled me. only 4 months after major spine surgery. a 'fusion'  the bed after only 5 days put me back at least 2 months probably 3 really, was doing fine and starting to get about a bit, even did a small shop at local morrisons..i have the weekly shop delivered for the last 15 months but tried to go and get a chicken ready cooked. onlyin the place 10 minutes, can hardly walk now...so ru**y furious with that bed and the uncaring attitude of some of the staff discharged myself against the advice  of consultants. got out of there before they killed me..no kidding seriously  <*<

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 03:03:46 am »

Cycling is good exercise. A few weeks ago I saw an ad for an insurance company offering discounts if you cycle more than 50 miles per week. When I first got home from my heart bypass, I walked a lot, but I read that cycling is much better, as people naturally work more of the body and get the heart rate up a bit more, even with easy cycling. I will confess that I have not lost any weight, which is still unhealthy around 100Kg. However I was also starting to get circulation problems, including varicose veins in my thighs, these circulation problems have now completely cleared up.

I started cycling again regularly last year, to work and back (3 miles each way). I retired completely this year, and now do short errands by bike instead of car. A couple of weeks ago I rode 110 Km (about 65 miles) around the local lake in a day. Last weekend I did a 28Km mountain tournament bike event, I finished the course (admit I walked a fair bit) and achieved my goal of not coming last. :-))

One thing I have learned is to set realistic goals for my age. Long slow distances, with a couple of days rest after, are no problem. Getting on the bike at least 3 days a week, no problem. Taking a ride of at least 15 miles once a week, no problem. In fact, just going to some destination, riding around for a bit, and coming back, it is surprising how quickly the mileage racks up. But those are my targets now, I started much more modestly with just riding to work.

APPs. There are lots of APPs out there if you have a smart phone. I use SpeedX which is free. It will log and map your routes, and give your riding statistics, as well as linking to AppleHealth APP if you use it. Although it tracks your routes live, it does not use up your data package, but it does consume batteries.

JaB, I am sure you will enjoy your return to two wheels, especially if you enjoyed it in the past. It is a great way of keeping fit, without the tedium of keep fit exercises (gym bores the hell out of me), and cycling is cheap.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 06:15:25 am »

Thanks to

tobyker
malcolmfrary
craggle
plastic
Liverbudge
tigertiger

all advice much appreciated guys.

Where to start...at the top i suppose ...

need to be careful i dont gat timed out !

bit at a time post by post? .. think best way.

tobyker...  how enjoyable, i'll be doing similar before long, 'West Coast fish and chip run next June/July maybe? might be a challenge?  :embarrassed:

cheers.
John. 

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 08:56:34 am »

Hi all, I have had a bike these last 18 years, a hybrid, more neglected than ridden, but it all works. I shall be on it again soon to get a bit fit for my next holiday break. As when I visit son in Oz, my every other day schedule is a 20 minute cycle to the beach an hour's walk in the surf and cycle back and a shower to follow. 
I am usually knackered at this point but it certainly gets rid of a few pounds in weight and I enjoy the cycling as well.
When I was there last I commented to my son how careful the motorists were to me, he told me they had just introduced stiff penalties for drivers who run into bikes.
A good walk or cycle helps circulation as I understand that the action of the leg muscles assists the flow of blood around the body.
regards Roy

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:31 am »

Malcolm...did you make a post on this thread just now..? cant see it, looks like it missed the target could be my end, pc's going potty, switching between desk and lap. both overheating..sending ian to pc world soon for replacement desktop....enough already ...

what do we reckon?  http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-pavilion-570-p019na-desktop-pc-10159071-pdt.html

should sort it all out. :o :o :o

John.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 12:50:00 pm »

Wasn't me.
That tower looks like it should be capable of almost anything.  The thought has suddenly struck me that computers have stayed the same price for the last 30 years, but their capabilities are way beyond what you had a hope of in 1987.  I'll bet that that one fires up almost as fast as my PCW8512 did back then.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 01:28:20 pm »

Hi Malcolm
NO wnsn't you, know that now, another discovery..i think its my 'Hi di Hi's'! causing my odd...at times, mood.  :embarrassed:

A reference here, story behind this , naturally, O0 tooo long to post here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrocodeine

The tower..tired of upgrading every 18 months or so, this should last even me a while...

Cheers for now lots to do. :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 02:10:10 pm »

Reading this thread has reminded me that I must start using my bike again.

I used to race when I was young but find a racing bike like the Viking would be too extreme now, I'm 63, and so about three years ago I bought a new bike but a hybrid with flat bars, much more comfortable.

Rode it when I first had it but not since.

As said, the roads are getting too dangerous now. We have some cycle tracks by us, but not too many.

My problem is that even though I'm semi-retired I still find it difficult to make the time. must make the effort, in more ways than one!
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 02:26:45 pm »

Nice looking bike John, Have you had the chance to try it out yet?

Although I live in prime Olympic / Ride London / Tour of Britain territory near Surrey I tend to stay away from the roads and spend all my time dodging walkers and horses on the trails around Leith Hill.
Got myself a bike known as a Fat Bike for obvious reasons. Everyone says that must be hard work but it really isn't as bad as it may look!

Enjoy the riding when you get out there and invest in a good hat. I'm often amazed on the roads around here at people that spend thousands of pounds on a bike and all the clothing but don't wear a helmet!

Craig.
Hiya craggle  :-)

No not going thsre , to mucky for the jag :o wife would kill me!

strangely i seem to be ok on this race type bike considering my back??? only had a few short goes up to now, 4 times  of 5 minutes only a slow start but a least doing a bit

wont be on the roads yet, turbo will do me  for now, hope to find a riding pal or 2 locally when i'm ready for that, seen a few around, one i know  :-))
a lid yes no preoblem, quiet round here , rural area, done before 25 years ago now with a riding mate, not seen for 10 years, hill near here only short but steep, called Dowbridge area, cant think of road name it will  come to me later, near windmill now a residence, think its haunted cos always up for sale!!!

First bike a 'Sun' back in 1968, work transport, fell off lots of time...not a scratch,..lucky?

cheers for the post and all.

John

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 04:53:43 pm »

I recently bought a bike - but the pot-holes around here are so bad that it had to be mountain bike with full suspension. I even got a comfy sprung saddle for it to save my soft bum. The rock-hard road bikes are too hard-core for my flimsy bones.

Hi Plastic  {-)

Turbo Trainer needed for you i recon  O0

No need to spend a lot, you know you should, i'll help you on your way..go here, not a lot of money and think of the cash you could save by changing a few things , no car  - bus ride - fags or whatever.. :D

https://www.evanscycles.com/cycleops-mag-trainer-EV196739

The one i got, easy set up no road to worry about and if you do fall off... soft carpet .. :-)

Thanks for the post.
John.

Not forgotten you Malcolm, comprehensive post...  reply to match..! :D 8) take a bit longer..!

John.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 06:57:40 pm »

Nice suggestion, but an indoor bike wouldn't get me to the local supermarket or out to the coffee shop to meet with friends (while I cough up a lung or feel really sick from all the exercise and adrenal suppression)  :o

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:53 pm »

How about an electric cycle - less pain more gain.  ok2

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »

Nice suggestion, but an indoor bike wouldn't get me to the local supermarket or out to the coffee shop to meet with friends (while I cough up a lung or feel really sick from all the exercise and adrenal suppression)  :o

Oh Dear..no it woulndn't   :-X err, let me think, not my best attribute just now  <:(

You been se the doc then.. hosptal had the tests and the rest...digging a hole here then i am  too  <:( <:( <:(

dunno now..stuck ....help.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 05:42:28 am »

Electric bikes are a silly price in UK. The bikes like the ones in the link are about 200 quid to buy here. For 500  quid you will get something as large as a large motor scooter, with 72V system, and they will do 60 kph.

JaB, I don't understand what you mean when you say, 'dunno now..stuck ....help.'
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 09:11:58 am »

Hi all, a long time back I put a bicycle on a stand so that you could ride it to get some exercise, the rear wheel rested on a roller.  The wall behind me ended up with a streak of rubber on the wall that was very difficult to remove.
Get out on your bike just do not over do it.  If the bike will go in the back of your car then go somewhere safe like a local park and cycle there.
Exercise will give you more modelling time, do your thinking on your bike.  I am a good deal past the age in the heading so speak with a little experience and much hindsight.
regards Roy

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 09:44:34 am »

JaB, I don't understand what you mean when you say, 'dunno now..stuck ....help.'

When I saw Plastic's post I felt 'oh no' that's not good, felt sorry I'd replied to him like that.

I didn''t know he had servere problems like those  :((

Gutted.

Saying sorry too late now,

I've sent am email to Martin (Admin) requesting I be removed from the forum, no response yet.

Thanks guy's it's been good while it lasted........

JaB.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 01:12:18 pm »

When I saw Plastic's post I felt 'oh no' that's not good, felt sorry I'd replied to him like that.

I didn''t know he had servere problems like those  :((

Gutted.

Saying sorry too late now,

I've sent am email to Martin (Admin) requesting I be removed from the forum, no response yet.

Thanks guy's it's been good while it lasted........

JaB.

It's not too much of a problem - I live on Prednisolone so the adrenal response doesn't work - vigorous exercise can have unpredictable results.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.