Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fusion Aquapower Controllers  (Read 2690 times)

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Fusion Aquapower Controllers
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:53:53 am »

Hi,

Does anyone know whether Fusion Aquapower Controllers will be okay with 6v or 12V SLA batteries.

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Fusion Aquapower Controllers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 01:27:30 pm »

Input Voltage NiCd/NiMH 5~10 Cells... so I'm guessing 10 x 1.2v = 12v but be careful, it doesn't have an 'SLA battery' setting and may discharge the battery beyond a safe cutoff voltage.   {:-{

http://www.astramodel.cz/manualy/fusion/fusion_Aquapower128_manual.pdf
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chipmonk

• Full Mayhemer
  • while you are here, can you just!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 02:26:27 pm »

Hi, am I being thick but I thought there was no "safe cut off voltage" for SLA battery's there is definitely one for lipo's and their ilk. Have I being doing it wrong for the last 30 od years.
Cheers Chipmonk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 05:57:09 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:55:53 pm »

Sounds like the jury is still out so will look at another brushed ESC  %%
Regards,

Rich

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 09:52:43 am »

When SLA was state of the art, there wasn't much call for warning circuits, partly because the circuit back then would be too big and cost too much, partly because the boat was its own warning device.  When it slowed down, it was time to come in.  The discharge curve was quite gentle, as opposed to things like LiPos where warning is minimal because they will give full current until it is too late.
Any ESC that says it will work on 5-10 NiMH cells should be just fine on 6 or 12 volt SLA.  It neither knows nor cares where the volts and amps come from, as long as there are enough of both.  If the battery is not capable of driving the boat in the first place, that's another story.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 11:31:13 pm »

It does a lead acid battery good to be drained and recharged now and again( deep cycled ) There are now sealed lead acid batteries which only need a recharge. No topping up needed and no leakage or fumes. If the boat can carry a lead acid battery of one sort or another well that's for me every time
 Have a browse here .https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lead+acid+battery&oq=Lead+acid&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.23795j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
A single cell gives app 2.1volts  6 cells  12.6volts approx and so on. However a question .I know a bulb in series will drop voltage but what if it's in parallel? Any or no effect? :} :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:00:36 am »

Any lead acid can deliver an almost infinite current at least once, but for a short time, thats why cars have had working starter motors all these years.  They are not good at over-heavy current for extended periods.  As part of their chemistry, they do, under load, charging or discharging, do their best to vent gas.  Even "sealed" ones.  "Sealed for life" means that once enough of the contents have vented away, you have no means of replacing it, so it is then a dead 'un.  Because they are an interleaved plate construction, under heavy load, the current though the plates in not evenly distributed.  This results in uneven heating, with the attendant problem of potential warping, and uneven chemistry happening on the plate surfaces.  This eventually finishes the battery.
They are generally OK with current at 1C, but intended for 0.1C.  Pulling more does shorten their life expectancy, but when they were the only game in town, had to be used.  Now there are alternatives that are designed to do better.  A boat that requires modest current and is heavy, they are ideal, being relatively low cost and very recyclable.  A same capacity or size NiMH will cost more, but weigh less, will deliver a heavier current longer, and will have simpler basic charging requirements until you want to fast charge.

Bulbs in series or parallel?  In series they all draw the same current, and, if the same rating, get 1/n of the starting voltage where n is the number of bulbs in the chain.  In parallel, they all get the starting voltage and each draws its own current. Provided that they are rated for either the starting voltage or more.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 02:11:02 pm »

Thanks Malcolm What ,if anything does it do to wattage?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 07:34:51 pm »

Thanks Malcolm What ,if anything does it do to wattage?
Wattage of watt?
Wattever the arrangement, power is still volts times amps.  In series, they all get the same current, but if of the same rating, each gets its share of the available volts.  In parallel, they all get the same voltage, but draw wattever current their rating demands.
Say you have two 12 volt, 12 watt bulbs and parallel them off a 12 volt supply - they both shine like they should and between them pull 1 Amp each i.e. 2 Amps.  Same bulbs, same battery, in series, they both get 1/2 Amp, you might see them glow, each is using 3 watts. 
Consider 6 volt 6 watt bulbs and the same 12 volt supply.  Series, they pull 1 Amp and use 12 watts and having 6 volts each, glow nicely.  Parallel, they briefly try to use 24 watts each, shine very brightly, and then you buy new bulbs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.