Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sea Queen 46" - power units  (Read 6362 times)

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Sea Queen 46" - power units
« on: August 02, 2017, 02:20:24 pm »

I built my Sea Queen 53 years ago when she was powered with a Merco 61 - those were the days ..........................

About 10 years back I installed a MFA Torpedo 850 initially using a 12V Gel Cell and then a 3S LiPo however I feel its time for another upgrade this time with a brushless motor and ideally still using my 3S LiPo batteries .

Any suggestions would be much appreciated [size=78%]. [/size]

[size=78%]Peter Wallis[/size]
[size=78%]North Hampshire[/size]

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sea Queen 46" - power units
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 05:21:19 pm »

I have a 46" Crash tender and a fibre glass Screwdriver hull , both of which are about the same size as the Sea Queen, and both of which need a light refurb and new electric motors.

I got these from Hobbyking a while ago with the intention of using them in the above boats                             https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-t600-brushless-outrunner-for-600-heli-1100kv.html.

To be installed on water
cooled mounts

flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:24:10 pm »

I have successfully used Tornado Thumper Outrunners in some of my bigger boats specifically the 4260/06. I use them with Fusion Hawk 60A electronic speed controllers.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/262234/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi9Dgzvm41QIV2KntCh3nngVeEAYYAiABEgLjwPD_BwE
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/85116/

Never had any worries about the need to water cool either the motor or speed controller and have found them to be pretty reliable. Tend to use them as standard set up nowadays.

Shaun

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 07:29:13 pm »

Many thanks Shaun most helpful have been dubious about using model aircraft engines mainly cos of overheating but you have not experienced this with the Tornado . What capacity LiPo have you used with this motor  !

Peter 

flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:36:43 pm »

Hi Peter,

I use almost exclusively 11.1 volt 5000Mah LiPo's

Shaun

klz

• Full Mayhemer

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 09:22:52 am »

Thank you Guy's for this further guidance ........................

Shaun is there a unique mount available for the Tornado and what prop size / pitch are you using !

I've also looked at that Fusion Hawk 60A again advice noted - tkx

Earlier this year I switched to LiPo long overdue I must say and I too use the 3S . The old Sea Queen still seams to be very popular - I still get a wiff of the glow fuel when I take that roof off.......................

Peter Wallis

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:56:47 pm »

I have successfully used Tornado Thumper Outrunners in some of my bigger boats specifically the 4260/06. I use them with Fusion Hawk 60A electronic speed controllers.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/262234/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi9Dgzvm41QIV2KntCh3nngVeEAYYAiABEgLjwPD_BwE
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/85116/

Never had any worries about the need to water cool either the motor or speed controller and have found them to be pretty reliable. Tend to use them as standard set up nowadays.

Shaun

This is useful for me as well - see the Fairey battery thread. Been looking at the Overlander motors and fancied using one.

Your combination should be ideal for 31"/33" Faireys.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 11:43:26 am »

Thank you Chris I seem to have S.Q sorted thanks to Shaun with those very useful tips .

I will also read through those threads from you  - I haven't mentioned that I also have a 34" Swordsman again that I built over 50 years ago originally powered with a Merco 61 .

She now has a Graupner Speed 700 turbo that makes her a superb classic high speed electric running off 3S LiPo that only a few weeks ago was giving great pleasure to onlookers at Edgecombe - the mouth of the Tamer River Cornwall .

The other useful recommendation from Shaun was the Fusion Hawk 60A ESC that makes a sensible package all round .

Good to make contact .

Peter Wallis
North Hampshire

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 12:23:16 pm »

Hi Peter
The original Aerokits Swordsman was design by L.J.Rowell and from my original plan was 33 and 1/2".
My ex work mate finally finished his Swordsman at the end of last year(after 40 years).
We added a 3639-1100kv 800Watt brushless motor, 60Amp ESC, 3S 5800mah Lipo battery and a 2 blade 40mm 1,4 pitch CNC prop.
Very good turn of speed and a long run time.
We did not water cool the motor which only gets warm and the ESC is car one with an electric fan on top.
I have the same setup in my Sea Commander but with a D3548/4 1100kv 910 Watt motor.
Canabus

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 01:05:30 pm »

I've got a set of the Aerokits drawings but being a kit, someone has very badly traced the templates and I've spent a long time redrawing them and making some alterations to make it easier to build.

Some pictures would be good. :)
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 01:55:08 pm »

Have to say Guy's this has opened up a real discussion.....................all thanks to 'Modelboat Myhem'

Firstly to Canabus in Tasmania - amazing how far our hobbies take us . Question what is the make of the motor you are suggesting for the S.Q !

And for Chris - I still have my plans of the S.Q which you may borrow or I can have them copied ! Also quite prepared to take any photo's you may require of my S.Q but would need your email address to forward .

Peter Wallis
North Hampshire
U.K

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 02:11:16 pm »

Peter - thanks for the offer of the drawings but it's the Swordsman I'm more interested in. The SQ is a nice boat but I got interested in the Fairey Marine boats as a newbie last year and I'm going to concentrate on those.

There are plenty of variations to keep me going!

Chris

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 02:20:07 pm »

Hi Peter
As my Vosper Crash Tender is the same length, I bought a Turnigy L5055C 700kv 1600 Watts , 100 Amp car ESC which only goes to 4S and a 2 blade 50mm 1.4 pitch(5070) CNC prop.
4S will give me 10360 rpm( un loaded) so I think it will give me a good turn of speed.
If not I can change to a water cooled 150 Amp ESC and run 6S (15780 rpm).
Canabus

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 02:21:45 pm »

Hi Chris
Do you have the plans for the Swordsman?

Canabus

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 03:52:29 pm »

Gentleman - Chris & Canabus

Just back in from the workshop for a cuppa and a quick glance through my files reveals the original plan for my 34 1/4" Swordsman plan by Aerokits - kind permission of Fairey Marine .

If you like I can have duplicates made and send to you .............................

I will look up those Turnigy details too .

Tkx

Peter
North Hampshire
UK 

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 04:49:20 pm »

Peter and Canabus

I have some drawings i.e. the plan, side elevation and build details but as I said above the drawing showing the various parts/templates was drawn by someone who shouldn't have been allowed near a pen or pencil! Very badly traced and nowhere near symmetrical.

I guess as it was a kit, there was no need for the manufacturer to include professionally drawn parts/templates.

But if they were included or you have well drawn/accurate parts/templates then I would appreciate a copy and would be happy to pay for the copying and postage.

Chris 

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 08:57:05 pm »

Chris - your right my Swordsman plan does not show all the profiles unfortunately. Have to say the current performance of my own Swordsman exceeds my exceptation but on reading the advice from Shaun I am tempted to change my ESC to Fusion .

There's always something .

Peter Wallis
North Hampshire

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 12:05:20 am »

Peter - no problem. It would be nice to have some decently drawn ones but I've redrawn them on the computer and compared them against the original plan and side drawings so hopefully they are alright.

The only true test is to build it of course. Can't wait to get started.

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 09:10:28 am »

So would you like a copy of my plan !

I can easily send you photo's of her but will need your email as my skill level with this site needs further instruction ........................

I note you live in Warwick - our son lives in Wasperton - small world .

Where is the facility in your area to use your models !

Peter
North Hampshire

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 10:45:47 am »

Peter - no, I'm fine with the plan, it's the templates that would be useful.

As the weather is iffy today I'm going into the smallest/spare bedroom to start making some room for model making and to dig out the various plans and magazines articles I have for the different Faireys.

My intention is to build a number of the different wooden hulled boats.

I go to Knightcote which is about 20 mins drive away. It's a bit small for fast boats but fine for sailing yachts, which I've just started doing, though the wind is all over the place.

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 11:22:49 am »

Chris there is one template on my plan and I'm pretty sure you can easily  extrapolate the other former's using the plan which is to scale .

I have recently built an Adamcraft sailing dinghy 18" overall with r/c . Might I suggest you visit www.deluxematerials.co.uk who have an excellent range of modern adhesives that we are all using at Frensham Pond Model Yacht Club where I sail my model yachts !

Good luck

Peter     

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 01:50:13 pm »

Message for Chris - I now have photo's of my Swordsman can I have your email !

I've also taken a shot of the former template to if you think it could be of use then we can take this further .

Peter 

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 04:33:10 pm »

Hi Peter

I PM'd you with it earlier and I've now made it available in my profile.

Chris

Peter Wallis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 06:26:39 pm »

Chris I've sent the pic's but not 100%  sure you received same -please confirm .

Peter
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.