Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on my hull modification please  (Read 2130 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Advice on my hull modification please
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:33:11 am »

Hi All

I would appreciate some help and advice regarding my Anteo build.  I need to really modify the hull to get the steam plant in and I think that I may have a solution, but your collective thoughts would be welcome before I start cutting.

Having played around with all of the components to see how they fit, I want to drop the inside of the hull by 50mm.  This causes many issues as you can imagine mainly due to the type of slot construction that is a standard part of the kit.

The hull is a simple construction that has two removable decks which are placed temporarily in to give the hull strength and shape during the double planking process.

My plan is to firstly fill the cut slots in the bulkheads with wood and place a strengthening piece across the top.  Next I was thinking about removing the cross hatched area and then strengthening the curved area.  The keel will also require lowering which will therefore weakening it.

Finally I was hoping to elongate the slots on the keel and then glue the bulkheads in place and strengthen the joint using extra timber and the same for the keel.  I have mocked up a few pictures to try and better explain what I am trying to achieve. 

My main concerns are the joints between the keel and bulkheads as the surface area will be greatly reduced.  But I am hoping that once the false decks are installed and the double planking completed it will be a nice strong hull.

Your thoughts would be appreciated - Mark  :-)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
Re: Advice on my hull modification please
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 10:13:59 pm »

Hi Mark, nice new project........ :-))

If you are only thinking of taking that hatched area out, cut 90% of the way through it, so when you have built it you can just run a fret saw blade through it to remove without putting undue stress on the hull and associated bits. Did the same with my Granit, hull still sound............just........ :o

Stewart

"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 11:35:03 pm »

Thanks for the reply Stuart but I can honestly say that my bandsaw has been well and truly through this hull now and still going but the end result should be good  :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:57:09 pm »

Morning Mark.......from your [3 1/2" boiler & engine] in other postings....the typical all up plant weight with full boiler & gas tank and accessories may be approaching 4.? kg ++++

Is this OK with the displacement capability of your Ateno hull?

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 10:03:26 am »

Hi Derek

Thats a good guess on the weight of the complete plant including the base, its going to be about 3.8kg.  Fortunately there is not a lot else to go in; maybe 4 servos, receiver, battery and probably an Action switch for some lights.

So is it going to float........I hope so and that is my honest answer  %%

I can only compare this hull to my Fairmount Alpine which is a similar size in length and beam.  I don't know the exact all up weight of that boat as my wife's kitchen scales only go up to a maximum of 5.5kg.  I would guess though that its about 8 - 9kg it really does weight quite a lot.  I was quite surprised just how much ballast weight a boat requires to get in down in the water.  I put just over 2kg of lead into that build after everything else including 2 large 12v lead acid batteries.

In my own mind since starting this build I am quite convinced that its going to need quite a bit of ballast to get it down to the water line even after every things in.

The keel and the bulkheads are just about there now and I know how its all going to fit in.  Once I've got quite a bit of to done I will start a thread on the build.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 21 queries.