Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamiya 1/48 Douglas skyraider  (Read 3674 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Tamiya 1/48 Douglas skyraider
« on: August 18, 2017, 07:49:48 pm »

Hi all I don't normally do planes (to be honest I'm rubbish at them) but I remember building the airfix one as a young lad and I remembered it had so many more parts than any other plane I ever built, well I saw it and it bought back happy memories so I bought it, it's been in the stash for a while and since I'm starting to get bored of the ships at the moment and looking in the stash no cars took my fancy I thought while I'm waiting for my pocher 1/4 ducati I would pull this out and have a go. I'm not intending to try and build some great model as i dont have the knowledge or skill with a plane, I am intending to do the Knight Rider 300 version from the kit.
Anyhow here is the kit and my start on it.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Tamiya 1/48 Douglas skyraider
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 03:22:25 pm »

Pace yourself and just go at it step by step. It isn't a Biplane, so you have a running start!  It was a much loved aircraft due to it's strength and sheer ability to lug payload.

Like the A10 today, it was overtaken by technologiy and designs, but it could do something that these other designs could not do and so soldiered on.

I look forward to this blog. I have always admired the aircraft.
Pond weed is your enemy

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 02:17:00 pm »

I too built it as a child - in fact - twice, may still have bombs etc in my kits bits box, though I have no idea which bits
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 07:50:10 pm »

Hi all well I'm still doing it and here is the next update.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 08:39:08 pm »

Hi all done a bit more on this. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with tamiya they only give the option for landing gear down and I wanted it up but the doors are a really bad fit when you cut the unnecessary bits off to have them shut, I've bodged it up as best I can.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 02:39:08 pm »

Looks ok to me so far...what is the wingspan of the model? I'e done a few 1/48 in the past but can't think how big/small that scale is at the minute. got a couple on the shelf but 1/72, wife saw an EE Lightning kit...Aifix starter set...yeah right!!! yesyerday in the local Dobbies garden shop...it's on the shelf now with the other kits waiting to be stuck together. 

Lets see this one completed...I will be watching,  :-)) My kit stash will have to wait a while.

A quick google found this...

https://modelingmadness.com/review/viet/grena1.htm

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 02:45:47 pm »

done better then my first go at the start of the year,   got 1:72 red arrows gnat for Christmas and thought i give it ago,  i started getting worried when on box it says 1 hour and i am on 3rd day  {-)  in end took me 4 days lol  paint job was mess canopy does not fit at all keeps falling off and the pilot must have head injury by now with as much pressing on the head to try get canopy to fit lol,  all in all i think i know where i went wrong with the painting of the plane not to bad for my first ever go and i got others to build,  all in all was fun to do it 

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 03:03:48 pm »

Hi all well I've developed a bad habit of starting models and not finishing them(I get to a boring bit or a tricky bit, or it's just not going very well (like this one) and I shelve it)
Well I've decided this yr I'm going to try and restart, and who knows maybe even God forbid finish a few.
Well this one not being a subject im very good at got left as soon as the going got even slightly tricky, when I left off (The kit dose not have the option for landing gear up but that was how I wanted it, simple enough I thought) the landing gear doors would not shut properly so I valiantly struggled for about 5 mins then shelved it and gave up.
Well I've started it again and ive done my best with landing gear doors, had a go at doing the panel lines with a pin wash ruined it, stripped the paint off had another go, same result so this time I repainted it and tried my own idea I got some 600 grit and a piece of black pastel which I sanded over the wing I then rubbed it in with my finger, then wiped the mess off with a damp cloth, i am quite pleased with the effect.
I've added some weathering (probably not great as I know little about planes but I'm happy with how it's going)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 07:49:16 pm »

Pretty good looking to me Ken. In action with rapid turnarounds for bombing up and refuelling they would have got dirty and chipped like bloomery, so don't fret about some small smudges and the like.

I am disappointed that Tamiya didn't do a better job with the undercarriage, as the doors could have been made as separate parts that matched and fitted anyway, so that shortcoming is a surprise.
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:01:20 pm »

Next update, last one for a fortnight (holiday of a lifetime cruising the Caribbean)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 09:37:25 pm »

I think it looks realistic enough with regards to weathering so far, problem with some modellers go too far with some combat aircraft and in a Air Force like the USAF and the RAF it would be kept reasonably clean but streaks and leaks would always appear. If I remember correctly for Skyraiders the exhaust produced an unique streak down the fuselage side in an unusual swirl but with your skills I have faith you’ll do this kit justice. Keep up the good work Ken! :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 05:44:55 pm »

Thanks Nick
Hi all here is the next update, i was fairly sure I would make a mess of trying to do the exhaust staining with the airbrush so I opted for doing it with a brush, i know it would be better with the ab but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 07:42:30 pm »

Well got a bit more done on this.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 07:54:42 pm »

Hi all another bit done.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 08:19:39 pm »

Looking good KP, I had a little accident with my Airfix 1/48 Bristol Blenheim Mk1 which now needs her canopy reattaching.  <:(
Keep up the good work! :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 08:03:51 pm »

Hi all well it's done, another stalled build finished, never been good at planes but quite pleased with this, yes lots could be better and I really should do more research on a subject I know so little about.
Well I suppose I can only get better with any I do next (As it happens I've got a flying fortress calling me, I'm thinking of doing it as a cutaway)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.