Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Martin 'does' the Phoebe 5k Fun Run!: October 01, 2017
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Martin's doing a Fun Run?!?  (Read 5250 times)

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
Re: Martin's doing a Fun Run?!?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 11:31:11 am »

WELL DONE !!!!!!

Proud of you.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Stavros

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 07:03:21 pm »

Well done that man

Dave

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 08:05:05 pm »

Where's the free beer?  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Jolly good show. Marathon next? I'm right behind you (just over the horizon)  :-))
Don't Assume Check

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 08:08:23 pm »

Well done Martin  :-))

Your next challenge... can you do my fitness test! I'm due soon! :}
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 08:16:12 pm »

You said you would, ...   and you did 

Well Done.  Congratualtions   :-))

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 05:36:15 pm »

Memoirs from a non fit person!

Well sort of feeling a bit more sane today (Monday) , no ill effects so far... needless to say, best night's sleep in years!

Got to Rutland Water quite early, didn't want to walk too far from the car park to the start line, yes that does sound stupid today.
Daughter & I checked in ....  and the good wife signed up too at the last minute!
Stood waiting around for what seemed ages.... right next to the coffee and bacon van ..... manage to resist (as I'm on a diet) but not easy, must stand somewhere else next year!

A good spirit was already noticeable with about 300 runners turning up.
20 minutes before the start, a warm up session was started .... what's the point of exercising before exercising?! ... I was to find out approximately 5 minutes after the start!

10 minutes before start, ambulance turns up with blue lights flashing and p[arks by the start / finish line... reassuring!

Positioned myself well to the back of the starting grid, I was going to 'walk this run' ... but I meant that quite literally, start at the back .... and hopefully stay there.

5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1! We're off!

Excellent start for me, I wasn't even panting by the time I reached the starting line, excellent!
Straight on to damp grass, the field of runners quickly spread out, some of the front runners.... started of running?!?!?!!??

Couple of hundred yards into the first field and then a 50 yard "steep" rise up a grass bank / reservoir dam.... not too difficult...  ... until I got to the top and back on flat ground when my shins suddenly started really burning! Brisk, walking suddenly got very tiresome.... I hit 'the wall' after just 10 minutes! :-(

I thought the burning would pass with a steady pace ... but no, just got worse. I tried doing my 'warm up stretches' at the next park bench... but just ended up looking like I was constipated.

15 min or so in, passed to finish line but unfortunately I was still on the outbound route, away from the finish.
Manage to pass several people, 2 & 3 year old kids, a WW1 veteran, someone in a wheelchair, a hearse and several sprightly trees.

20 minutes in, front runner comes charging towards me, really 'giving it the beans!'
He looked like he was about to explode with the effort he was putting in!
He must have been only a few hundred yards from the end and he was going SO fast, I wondered if he had enough room to slow down after the finish line!!  ... anyway, 'good luck to him'... sigh... plod, plod, plod.

25 minutes in, the rest of the field was well out of sight now, plod, plod, plod.
I noticed my plod, plod, plod was becoming, 'Plod, Plod, Plod'?!?
Hmmmm, wearing heavy steel toe cap trainers may not have bee such a great idea after all.

30 minuets in, steady stream of runners coming in opposite direction now, most not even panting, some carrying kids on their shoulders and running pushchairs!

35  minutes,  2 & 3 year old kids, a WW1 veteran &  hearse come trotting past me.... No.1  daughter run past in opposite  direction.... laughing!

38  minutes, wife briskly walks past, also in opposite direction... I sure I heard her say; 'Nope, don't know him! Not with me!'

40 minutes, No.1  daughter trots back to walk with me for a while to keep me company.... check I'm not about to die.

42 minutes, No.1  daughter gets bored and runs off again!
                  I Pass a sign: "Welcome to Wales!" ... may have hallucinated that... plod, plod, plod.

45 minutes, race marshal says, 'nearly there' ... but he suspiciously laughing.

47 minutes, Pass a dad and his 6 year old daughter, daughter struggling. Wry smile to myself!

50 minutes, on my mobile phone now, to 'Lawyers 'R us'  to see if I can sue someone?! ... plod, plod, plod.

55 minutes, check with a race marshal, that ambulance is still on standby at finish.

56 minutes, passed Stephen Hawking on the home straight....  'said' dad and 6 year old daughter come running past me!

57 minutes.  Finished!  - - - - Surprisingly,  I didn't  Win!

I did ask if I could claim two medals as i was carrying twice the weight as anyone else in the race but they weren't having any truck wid dat!

'Next year is another year!'

MD

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 05:49:03 pm »

You should be on the stage Martin, but well done anyway. Did you patronise the butty van when you finished or had they packed up and gone by then?

I suppose I ought to do something like that too but don't fancy the blue lights on the return leg.

Colin  :-))

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 22 queries.