Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic Programme 25 August 2017  (Read 2479 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Titanic Programme 25 August 2017
« on: August 25, 2017, 01:16:01 pm »

Looks like an interesting programme on tonight about the Titanic on Channel 5 examining the wreck.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Titanic Programme 25 August 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 01:52:52 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:02:26 pm »

Some very interesting imagery, rest of programme a bit weak in places though. No follow up on the idea that the ship broke in two below the surface and how that might have occurred.

The rusticles seem to be rather specific to the Titanic. You don't see them on the Jutland wrecks for example although it is clear that metal ships all seem to corrode relatively quickly  after being sunk unlike many wooden ships which can survive for centuries such as Mary Rose and Vasa.

Colin

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 10:29:42 pm »

Pretty sure this was on a satellite documentary channel months ago, part of the 'Drain the......' series.

Interesting, but there have been better documentaries on Titanic, without the need to pull the plug on the Atlantic.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:47:44 pm »

Yes, a lot of these programmes are repeated but handy if you didn't catch them first time round. Too much repeated padding due to adverts.

Colin

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 07:57:46 am »

Hi All
I seen the program last night.
I found a bit of a hole it their ideas in that the bow section hit at one speed and the stern was spinning and hit at a high speed.
Also that the break a part of the section was very close to impact.
As I saved the program I will have another look, but to me it does not add up !!!

Canabus

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 08:47:26 am »

Yes, the theory has previously been that the bow was totally waterlogged by the time the ship broke in half but the stern still had air in its compartments so the structure imploded on the way down. However I do think they had a point in saying that the bow glided down more smoothly as that is exactly what the wreck looks as if happened. The stern would have presented a gaping hole to the water rushing in which would have collapsed much of the internal air filled structure.

Colin

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 09:17:06 am »

The Stern looks like it hit flat and very hard, springing the hull plates off the frames.
The old belly flop into the water trick!!!

Canabus

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 02:51:26 pm »

Hi Collin, I thought a overlong programme thought she broke in two on the surface, due to uneven strain on the hull, which is very logical when one consider most of the rivets popped one side due to the collision. But even today with new stronger built construction, you have to be very careful loading and discharging large cargo ships to stop the possibility of breaking the vessels back, let alone a very old design vessel built on sailing ship technology, severely compromised in a massive glancing collision and is sinking. Why people get so fascinated in such a tragic incident I do not know, I just know several hundred people died a very horrible death for someone's possible incompetence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 22 queries.