Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship in "Victoria" series 2  (Read 1630 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Ship in "Victoria" series 2
« on: August 28, 2017, 01:53:42 pm »

I am sure someone can help identify the period warship used in filming "Victoria" series 2, episode 1.
Can't find any reference to it on Google.

From the clips shown beforehand I was sure it was on the deck HMS Warrior, although that ship was not commissioned until 1860.  In the TV programme a long shot clearly shows two gun decks with white strakes, but ochre coloured masts.  The real HMS Trafalgar was a first rate 120 gun ship of the line, and was indeed launched by Queen Victoria in 1841.

References to the Khyber Pass massacre of November 1738 would make the plot line seem consistent.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Ship in "Victoria" series 2
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 02:52:46 pm »

I thought Warrior from the trailer Bob,
Now I'm as puzzled as you .
Could be one of the Charlestown
Film fleet, or one of the later Eastern European
Film builds.
One of our historic/period ship buffs should know.
When in doubt, 'Ask the Bish'  :-))
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:35:23 pm »

Interesting.  As said before, she is not Warrior with two row of guns with white strakes in the TV show.  Nor can she be Trincomalle, Foudroyant (wrecked in Blackpool), Unicorn, or even Victory.
If they had done a mock up of HMS Trafalgar or a CGI overlay that should have been a three decker.
I am still trawling through photos looking for a likely match.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:41:22 pm »

Some filming was done aboard PS Wingfield Castle and she lies close to Trincomalee.  What little I saw looked as if it could have been computer rendered using Trincomalee as a basis.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:44:27 pm »

It was the Tricomalee, and the dock scene was the dock head of her berth. Talking of her, I was talking to a shipwright tonight who is doing contract work on Warrior, from within circles he knows of it is said she is getting a bit rotten below the waterline, as she cannot be moved out to any other port for repair, the owners are proposing to fill her dock in with concrete to the waterline. Which as he says guarantees her hull will rot out double quick as the wood would not be able to breathe like bottom of wooden fencepost which rot away fairly quick.   

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:04:13 am »

That would be a shame. Have they looked at all the options, I wonder. Perhaps something similar to the Cutty Sark, using the pit round the lower hull to display some of the historic models of the era currently in storage? Who exactly are the current owners, AS A MATTER OF INTEREST.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.