Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Tiger refit  (Read 8349 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Tiger refit
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:15:49 pm »

Another refit under way, this time 1/96 HMS Tiger in her helicopter carrier role.  Nearly done so hope to have her afloat very soon

Bob
I will finish this model

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Tiger refit
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:18:35 pm »

She looks good Rob. I look forward to seeing piccies of her restoration completed  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 10:12:44 am »

HI all does anybody know if this model was finished an sailed ? an any pic's?
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:39:51 am »

Chris

Yes she has sailed and very well, pics showing her at Gloucester docks Bridge was unpainted that day as waiting for paint, also it is not as blue as it looks

Regards

Bob

I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 05:57:11 pm »

HI Bob many thanks for your answer an tiger looks great  on the water its in 1/96 scale isn't it ? the reason I asked  about tiger is that im now scratchbuilding her in 1/72 scale an so far have nearly built the hull.Quite big at nr 8ft long but its a job on the stern as its a weird shape to build have you got any more pics of her ? an is it ok for me to download your pics for me to study to help me build her cheers
chris

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 07:50:33 pm »

That stern is an odd shape. How are you building the hull Chris? If Plank on frame, it should conform to planking especially if glassed over.

It looks like a butch Type 42  :} It is lovely to see a ship with gurt big guns as well as more modern weapons.
Pond weed is your enemy

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 08:34:20 pm »

That stern is an odd shape. How are you building the hull Chris? If Plank on frame, it should conform to planking especially if glassed over.

It looks like a butch Type 42  :} It is lovely to see a ship with gurt big guns as well as more modern weapons.

HI im building the hull similar to plank on frame but no planks I use a 1/32nd plywood rap round as I call it an its a easyier way an you don't need no filler to fill the gaps inbetween the planks  so its lighter to lift  ive been building her now for a few months now
chris

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:59 pm »

Do pop a few piccies up Chris. How will you create the stern area? I/we would be interested to know given the shape as you mentioned.
Pond weed is your enemy

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 10:34:38 pm »

Do pop a few piccies up Chris. How will you create the stern area? I/we would be interested to know given the shape as you mentioned.

HI i'll try to put some pics up tomorrow if I can but im on a new pc an a new image hostin site an so far all ive managed is to  put up a link to the pics  on my Nimitz build.  So if I can put up the link on tiger you click on link an hopefully you will see the build pics fingers crossed  an regards that awkward stern well im about to try an cover the hull so see how it goes its goin to be trail an error I think but i'll try an get it right 
Chris

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 11:29:09 pm »

I am sure you will work it out  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 10:03:34 am »

HI im now goin to open a tiger build thread on here if possible as I don't want to hijack this gents thread so look for boatmans hms tiger build in 1/72 an remember it may be just a link to the pics
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 10:32:03 am »

Good luck with her at 1/72, be nice to see.
Hope the attached image helps with the stern, the lower part is the original cruiser stern, up to the quarter deck then the large added on fairing makes it look odd, it actually is very easy to replicate. one shows Blake but as they were sisters, it is ok

Bob

I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 10:33:30 am »

HI Bob many thanks for your answer an tiger looks great  on the water its in 1/96 scale isn't it ? the reason I asked  about tiger is that im now scratchbuilding her in 1/72 scale an so far have nearly built the hull.Quite big at nr 8ft long but its a job on the stern as its a weird shape to build have you got any more pics of her ? an is it ok for me to download your pics for me to study to help me build her cheers
chris

Chris of course you may download, also if you need any more I might be able to help, also I am in the Tiger association
I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 10:37:51 am »

one more

I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 11:25:56 am »

HI Bob many thanks for the pics youre a star an been a great help with the shots of that weird shaped stern an congrats for bein in the tiger assoation I hope you like my build effort but it will be only semi scale due to costs but will see on that  may I call on you again if I need any help on her ?
 all best  chris

glenn69

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 11:58:54 am »

I’m looking forward to watching this rebuild as I brought a Tiger that needs a renovation itself a few years back and will be my next project after the one I’m working on at the moment. Scalewarships has definitely helped thus far with their useful list of fittings, not to forget a decent hull.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 01:10:34 pm »

Hi Glenn,
Is your Tiger an original or
the bast... dized Helo carrying
version. A beautiful ship turned
into a low loader. Lion escaped the
desecration of Tiger and Blake.
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 05:25:17 pm »

Hi Glenn,
Is your Tiger an original or
the bast... dized Helo carrying
version. A beautiful ship turned
into a low loader. Lion escaped the
desecration of Tiger and Blake.

HI im sorry you don't like the refit tiger but that's the main reason I wanted to build her as she is a unusual ship as its old an fairly modern mixed  so something different
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 05:36:04 pm »

Same reason I built her, she is quirky

Bob
I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 05:38:04 pm »

I’m looking forward to watching this rebuild as I brought a Tiger that needs a renovation itself a few years back and will be my next project after the one I’m working on at the moment. Scalewarships has definitely helped thus far with their useful list of fittings, not to forget a decent hull.

Glen if you are building the helicopter version and using their hull, be very careful about taking what is built as accurate.  On mine I had to blank off all the quarterdeck openings and cut new ones, as they were so far out.

Bob
I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 05:48:40 pm »

Really Bob apertures were that far out where did you purchase your hull as on grp  hull they normally very accurate ?
chris

glenn69

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 08:20:31 pm »

Hi Ron. My boat is the refit hybrid one mate. I suppose from your perspective they spoilt a perfectly good cruiser, along with her sister Blake, they were the last ones in RN service. You have to realise that as with the advent of mature carrier warfare and the obscellence of the battleship, cruisers were made obsolete by the guided missile carrying Destroyer. In reality, had the Cva 01 carrier not been shelved by the Labour government of the day and the need for a interim helicopter carrier until the commissioning of the Invincibles, the Minotaur class cruisers in which the Tiger was one of, would have gone to the breakers yard years before. As a modelling subject, the Tiger and Blake offer something different, not unlike the USN’s experiment on their WW2 cruiser hulls. I’m hoping Bob, that the fibreglass hull is correct, I’m told that it is. Either way, it is the option I’m left with as the original plank on frame hull is unusable. Fortunately for me, the decking, superstructure and some of the fittings are good so I’ve a good chance of renovating the Tiger in to a decent version.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 09:28:35 pm »

My hull came from scale model warships, and it could be that it was the first one but I did not notice they were out until well into the build, when nothing seemed to line  up, then it was a case of bite the bullet and do the cut n shut, all worked in the end, and she matches the plans, so all's well that ends well

Bob
I will finish this model

glenn69

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 10:09:12 pm »

Hi Bob. What is the actual paint scheme you have on your Tiger mate. I’m also tempted at turning mine into the Blake and sticking a Kestrel on the flight deck for something different. Was there any noticeable differences between the respective refits or were they literally twins?
Glenn.

glenn69

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 10:17:37 pm »

Hi Bob. I actually brought mine from a chap in the West Midlands. Unfortunately, he had suffered a stroke and as a result he decided to repaint the hull with a tar brush and stick all sorts of weapons from toy ships on it. Before that, it had been built to a very good standard in Scotland. I’ve waited until my skills were good enough, just doing a bit of prep and buying various fittings etc in the meantime. I can’t wait until it’s finally finished, she will look good alongside my Hermes.
Glenn.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.