Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: faulty mk1 procat to 2.4ghz conversion  (Read 11500 times)

Theg77

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
faulty mk1 procat to 2.4ghz conversion
« on: September 01, 2017, 12:45:44 am »

Hi guys,  I am looking to convert a mk1 procat to 2.4ghz using spectrum 6 channel rx and dx6i tx, as this rx is programmable  I believe that it may be able to run this using a pair of ESCs (one with a bec) and a mix on the tx

I ask is this possible and what kind of ESCs could I use.

I have a friend who is into rc trucks and he tells me they use an ESC with twin outputs, is this of any use?

Cheers guys

BOF

• Shipmate
Re: faulty mk1 procat to 2.4ghz conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 10:43:42 pm »

Hi. I hope you eventually get some real replies to your questions, as I too have a semi scrap Procat that is awaiting rebuilding, and a new set of 2.4 Ghz radio gear.

BOF  ;)

BOF

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 07:52:57 pm »

Well that's a disappointment, I did rather hope you would have had a shedload by now so I could manage to get my stalled Procat project going again.

BOF  ;)

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:04:57 am »

I would guess there are no replies because there is a lack of information to answer. It's likely that 99% of us don't know what motors, prop etc are in your model, or even if the motors are brushed or brushless. To give meaningful replies, the motor type, amps drawn, prop size helps a lot. Also,  the inference is that there are two motors, is that correct? What voltage and capacity batteries are in the boat? that will affect the choice.
  Have you looked through the forum for similar installations?  There is plenty of help available on here, but people need something to work on. If you aren't sure about some of the above, post a picture of the inside of the model, someone will probably recognise enough to get started.

BOF

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 11:38:50 pm »

Initially the craft has twin, brushed, motors turning 35mm twin bladed plastic propellers, steered and driven "Tank Style" so no rudder or servo's.

The motors are encased in plastic shrink tubing, and there is no way in, even just to identify the make.

Likewise the 27 Mhz receiver, ESC, and hopper release mechanism, after being incorporated onto a mother board, have been sealed away, and require further hacking and sawing to get at them.

I will try to get some pictures of the interior of the craft tomorrow.

I will try to get

BOF  ;)

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 12:02:38 am »

Ok bof,, thats a start. If the motors can't be identified, perhaps you can tell us the type of batteries and the minimum running time expected. That will allow us to estimate the current drawn and then specify the size of esc  needed for each motor.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 10:12:07 am »

Theg and Bof. the bait boats i have seen have a sort of solid state epoxy type resin encasing the electronics. I assume that you want to keep the "tank steering" first you need to identify the leads from the motors, then measure the wires for size, may be marked on the casing, are they thin or quite thick? (like car wiring) if thin the motors may be 380 size, drawing about 5 - 10 amps, if the wires are thicker, might be 500 size, drawing about 10 - 15 amps.Mtronix do some good ESC's as well as Component Shop. On ebay there are a lot of cheap esc's depends what you want to spend.

Unscrew the electronics block cut the motor wires at the block then solder connectors onto the wires to suit the esc.  When fitting you Spectrum, make sure that the antenna is above the waterline, 2.4ghz won't go through water.  Just a thought is the boat the carbon fiber? if so you will have to mount the receiver to the underside of the deck and bring the antenna through the deck as the carbon will blank the radio signals.

Hope this helps for a start, any questions message me and i will help with more details.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

BOF

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 04:51:03 pm »

The battery is a c 9v pack of Ni-Cad cells.

The wires to the motors are the "Car type" thick stuff.

These wires, and those from the battery, go into a solid lump of black plastic with no obvious way in, short of chopping it open with a saw. This is being undertaken at the moment.

I'm trying to get my camera charged up so I can do some snaps of the interior.

Which adhesive, if any, can be used on the ABS hull?

Many thanks for the responses.

BOF  ;)

BOF

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 05:38:01 pm »

Not a great shot of the electronics package, but as I intend this to be less of a conversion, and more of a "gut the sucker and rebuild the thing with real electronics" it really doesn't matter.
All I might like to keep is the "Smart Wire" hopper release, but I have no idea of how this would operate.

Thanks again

BOF  ;)

BOF

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 07:37:43 pm »

Did I say I was a bodger? Well I've just spent an "interesting" time of it trying to weld up the myriad splits and cracks along the seam running round the upper part of the lower hull section. Oh joy ....NOT!

Most of it actually looks right too, and since it will largely be set into sealant I think I may get away with it once the two hull sections are joined, and the thing stops flexing.

Anyway, so the lower hull section appears at least to be almost watertight. Now on to the upper works.

BOF  ;)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 07:40:44 pm »

BOF, dont bother trying to get into the radio pack, looks like its not worth the effort. Follow the wires from the motors, cut as close to the block as possible, will give you room to strip back the wires into a 15amp terminal block. Pair of wires from each ESC to the terminal block. plugs from esc's to receiver, could be socket 1 and 3, will give forward and reverse on both sticks.

Hopper release, does this have a servo? or is it a magnetic switch???  If servo run leads from electronic block to receiver via a servo plug, (available from model shop or ebay) If magnetic switch is it a push pull type?? if so it can be worked from one of the switches on the transmitter (on - off) again wired via a servo plug to the receiver.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 07:44:15 pm »

BOF, your location shows Last of the summer wine!!!  Holmfirth area???? I am in South Manchester, could do this for you if necessary. As an alternative, you have a superb model shop in Honley just down the road who could advise you or even do the job .

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

BOF

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 07:48:15 pm »

Airtec ?

BOF  ;)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 08:02:58 pm »

Thats the guy, seems very helpful, if not give me a shout, should not take long the fix you up!!!!
Tugs are for pulling

dj1975

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 07:14:57 pm »

It's possible to upgrade it to 2.4ghz by removing the old receiver and wiring in a new one.

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 09:05:39 pm »

Simply said NO...ive rebuilt enough of these for Anglers to know....you will spend around £150 on electronics alone to do it as well as your 2.4 Radio set

Dave

dj1975

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 09:15:07 pm »

Im afraid to say your wrong it is possible I've had it done and have also done it personally to another procat.

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 05:20:45 am »

as dj1975 says, you can upgrade your radio to 2.4 quite simple, Buy a 2.4ghz set (lots to choose from!) then just swap all your leads from your old reciever to your new 2.4 reciever, when you upgrade to a 2.4 system your not altering anything except the frequency, with 2.4 you will pretty much eliminate 99% of any potential interference as 2.4 sends/recieves signals using multiple frequencys in short bursts unlike FM which uses a single constant frequency which can get blocked. The only exception is if your running subs (or any underwater model) then 2.4 is a no go as the signal will not penetrate the water surface & if it does then chances are once your model (reciever) is below water level you will lose signal pretty quick & control of your model!

Not sure why some say it cant be done? When 2.4 first came on the scene it was the 1st thing alot of us largescale owners did was upgrade to 2.4 as from a safety aspect it was huge as it meant much less chance of a runaway due to signal loss (a runaway largescale model going 40+ mph weighing around 20kg is not good!!).
My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

stark735

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 06:29:05 pm »

Tizdaz don’t suppose you got a simple guide? I’d like to upgrade my pro at to 2.4 I’m competent in opening and closing the hull and have repaired many boats for simple faults and mainboard switches but never done this !! Any help would be appreciated

dj1975

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 09:34:02 pm »

You need a dremel type machine and cut off the old receiver from the main board there are four pins you need so leave them as long as possible as two are signal and two are positive and negative I'm away at present as have photos on phone another thing to consider is for some reason saturn transmitters are used and for that reason I'm not sure why . But I can guarantee it works 100%

stark735

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 09:53:38 pm »

Cheers dj1975 if you’ve got any other info I’d much appreciate it

dj1975

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 05:32:47 pm »

Hi stark735 the idea is that once the receiver is cut from the main board you need to solder on to the four pins. I'e used servo extension cables myself and heat shrink cable to protect them. I will try and upload a photo but I may have to draw a diagram.

Diesel_Doctor

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 08:46:44 am »

Hi stark735 the idea is that once the receiver is cut from the main board you need to solder on to the four pins. I'e used servo extension cables myself and heat shrink cable to protect them. I will try and upload a photo but I may have to draw a diagram.

Has anyone actually completed a conversation of the Procat mk1, I'm about to try and would be interested in any do's or donts

Nev

stark735

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2018, 08:08:40 pm »

Okay going to bring this thread to life again, I’ve completed no no no attempted this conversion but when I switch on I just get full forward motors? Left and right work and give definitive change in motor noise but the boat is continuous full forward on the motors? Any ideas? When I change back to the original 27mgz receiver / controller I have normal operation? Although I have absolutely no range (1ft) I have tried two different 2.4ghz sets. Futaba T6L & Saturn XR4, have also tried another 27mhz receiver and have the same result??? Can anyone advise??

Peter34

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 10:24:47 pm »

I'm currently converting my microcat to 2.4ghz.
I tried just swapping the reciever for a 2.4ghz one and got the same result as you. Motors running all the time.

I spoke to angling technics and although they didn't tell me much, they did say that the only radio that would work with the original electronics is the futaba skysport 4 2.4ghz,  as this is what the program in the main chip is written for.

I think the best thing as others have said is to rip all the electrics out and start again. I'm using 2 escs and schottky diodes to control the 4 pumps.

On a side note I also had no range but after a bit of Messing about I seemed to sort it out. I supplied the reciever attached to the main board with 5v through one of the spare reciever pins and the range was back as it should be, so I guess there was something wrong with the main board not supplying the correct voltage to the reciever.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.