Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Illuminated magnifier?  (Read 3341 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Illuminated magnifier?
« on: September 04, 2017, 02:54:25 pm »

Can recommend a decent quality illuminated magnifier ?
Requirements :
1.  Desk top stand-alone of "Anglepoise" design.
2.  A decent diameter lens.
3.  Preferably with multi (white) LED illumination.
    Thank you. BY.

Notes from a simple seaman

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: A request for advice.D
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 04:08:20 pm »

I have had this one for last couple of years and I am pleased with it - a quality product

Couple of variants - I have the day light one which is a great light - 90 leds - total 8w

http://www.craftlamps.co.uk/product/lightcraft-led-daylight-long-reach-magnifier-lamp

You can get additional types of fittings to attach it to your work surface

However if you want to explore more then http://www.craftlamps.co.uk/products/magnifying-lamps

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 04:43:27 pm »

Bryan,

Just received the new Machine Mart catalogue and I find the they stock the lamps you require. They appear to range in price from £22 to £60.

I'm afraid to say that their nearest stores to you are either Middlesbrough or Sunderland. :(( On checking though, I find that there is one at Gateshead. :-))

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/stores/gateshead/

LB

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 09:38:15 pm »

HI Bryan, Have a look on the Banggood website, they do dozens of lamps and magnifying lights, good prices and lots of choice

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 02:11:01 am »

Agree with you that angle-poise is essential. The flexible neck type are difficult to use, and have a tendency to topple over because of the small base.
The Craftlamps look very nice, but are a bit expensive.

Other considerations include:
The good ones will have a small lens of higher magnification ground into the main lens, which can be useful (I use mine to dig splinters out of my fingers  :(( ) .

Some come with a shelf mount only, others come with shelf mount and an interchangeable base plate, or alternative mountings, like the one C-3PO has.  This give you more options and is an important consideration.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 02:52:57 pm »

HI Bryan, Have a look on the Banggood website, they do dozens of lamps and magnifying lights, good prices and lots of choice

Mark

I've just opened a dispute with Paypal / Bangood over 20€ of parts that I've not received. Posted by them from their Netherlands depot on 22 July. They said the tracking showed they left Holland 6 hours later by mail en route to Spain with a guaranteed 2 day delivery! So they don't want to know - Hello Paypal, can I have a refund please :} Its my second request to Paypal, the first request they said I had to wait for the 6 week delivery period from China to expire first, even though I had ordered via Netherlands!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Illuminated magnifier?
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 01:22:28 pm »

Thanks a million for your suggestions.
With reference to Liverbudgies' idea...I'm pretty sure that Machine Mart didn't stock such items when I used to be a regular customer....so it never crossed my my mind to try them now.
They seem to do a good range and at least one of them should fit the bill. The only possible snag may be the base. None of the photos are, to me, clear enough to indicate whether they are free standing or have to be fastened to a wall. But I'll check them out.
Again, thanks to those who replied. BY.

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 02:35:10 pm »

The magnifyer lamp I bought from \Machine Mart has a clamp on base with several fitting holes.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 09:19:30 am »

Hi, I have had one in use for many years and now the springs that balance it are losing their tension, I have tried re-inforcing with elastic bands but they break.  Anyone got any ideas, I did consider shortening them as a last resort.
When I bought mine there was a plastic lens option, this had a limited life with incandescent bulbs but should be OK with LED lights.
regards Roy

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:29:17 am »

Hmm, reading the response from Cat. Flack, I've continued trawling the internet for an Anglepoise design that has a solide, weighty base. But the use of clamps now seems to be endemic. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places? This seems an odd decision by manufacturers (cost?) as the solid base was common, and effective. Perhaps I should change my user name to " stumped   .com" . BY

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 11:39:03 am »

It might be easier to make a base, using a dumbbell weight as ballast. Maybe manuf. thought the footprint was too big for hobby benches.
It could also be that the extra weight has a major knock on effect for cost in manufacturing, packing (need a box strong enough) and shipping. Freight costs from China will also be much higher.

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 11:53:07 am »

At the Model Engineering Show at Leamington in October, there will be a stand that sells all types of lamps/magnifiers.   Pete

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 12:03:34 pm »

Appreciate Craft Lamps are not cheap but I can vouch for quality and I guess there is an element of you get what you pay for...

The LED light given out by the one I have is very pleasing colour, very even with no shadows and no heat.

From personal experience I would avoid any type of fluorescent lamp

Heavy base - http://www.craftlamps.co.uk/product/lightcraft-table-base-10kg

!! Also make sure the lamp you buy has a "flip" hinged lens cover ( not removable as you will forget to put if back) - clearly the large lens if left uncovered is a serious FIRE RISK magnifying the suns rays.

I remember many years ago the brown burn mark left on a PC monitor screen case caused by a small set of helping hands with a lens attached and the sun - looked like someone had held a lit cigarette against the case - I guess I was lucky...

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 11:33:27 am »

My wife was watching a program yesterday where a chap mated a very old anglepoise type lamp to a heavy car brake disc as a base and I believe sold it for some stupid money.   Not a bad idea.

patrick simmonds

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 03:04:08 pm »

have a look at this. heavy base never toppled, bought on like this a while ago and  cant fault it.http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/purelite-4-in-1-crafters-magnifying-lamp/591522-1000

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 03:55:59 pm »

Cornishlad, nice lamp, what is the reach like?
I imagine on longer models, with detail along the length, mounted on a long workbench; that a long reach might be desirable.

Or has reach not been an issue because you can move the lamp down the floor?

patrick simmonds

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 07:05:18 pm »

hi, the reach is approx 2ft. had 2 covering a 6ft desk, apart from the reach, the light is non glare, and a lot easier to work with.
took one back and changed for another craft lamp on their sight, no mag but again the natural light. paid £50 for each. pat

patrick simmonds

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 07:06:38 pm »

forgot come with a floor extension so floor lamp or table top

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 11:53:10 am »

Hi you might want to try this web site.

Machine Lamps & Workshop Magnifiers  Back In Stock From Chronos

regards Roy

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 06:37:21 pm »

After a few days of fretful dishearten ent, i was encouraged by the later posts to continue my search.
Eventually Mrs Y came up with <www. Cambridgeoptics.com>. Again, pretty pricey but the lamp with the rectangular lens seems to tick all my boxes. So I'm glad that I didn't just make the best of a bad job and take a punt on something that I just had to learn to live with.
As my sight has deteriorated since I had to give up my ship modelling I'm hoping that I can squeeze a few more years of being able to do something mildly productive!
Again, thanks for the response. I,ll let you know how I get on. BY?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.