Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Lexington CV-2  (Read 15424 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Lexington CV-2
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 02:40:40 am »

First of ships boats painted and installed.  PE really helps with railing and prop and shaft and rudder.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:04 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:27 am »

more.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 05:44:50 pm »

is that the 'WALKING THE PLANK' where the boat is  {-)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 06:29:54 pm »

hahah.... {-) .... does look like one dosent' it..  No, that is the lower platform for a set of stairs that will be coming down from the deck above, outside the hull.  If you look closely, you can see a small set of stairs inside at the left back side that are cast into the plastic.  It took me a while to figure that out, as it was not clear on the plans.  Actually, I am picking up some detail from the fine artwork of the ship on the kit box.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 01:27:00 am »

Had to take a couple of shots of one of the Utility Boats nearing completion.  Its the PE that is amazing.  What you can see is a prop shaft and prop, rudder and tiller and stern pulpit.  The pulpit is 4 mm square, the boat is 35 mm long. I'm telling you, this PE is amazing what they can do.  Build on!

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 01:27:28 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 09:42:42 pm »

It isn't like I've been slacking or something, but have been caught up in a ton of details, assembly and installation of AA guns, ships boats, life netting, deck painting, etc.  I've included a few shots of what some of that looks like. All of my PE netting requires wire supports underneath to give some strength after gluing.  I will show some of those nets in a 90deg raised position which was used for a wind break at different times when aircraft were on board. These will only be on the Port side of the ship.   The color of the deck is my best guess from research... she had a wood deck and was colored a dark grey, some say dark blue.. I started with a tan for the first coat, then slightly washed dark grey over that to try to give it a worn look and still come out looking a bit grey.  The striping is a light sea grey, not yellow as some would say.  This whole color thing really becomes a rivet counting sort of thing and its still a question... most photos where black and white and their is printed records of paint colors used.. but then do you want to present freshly painted or weathered, which is more likely unless she just came out of dry dock.. and on and on.  I took my best shot.  The hull sides are warped and thin, so I will need to place wood supports in to stabilize the sides before laying that second deck section.. its in there dry for photos.  Such as it is, its been fun so far.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 09:43:09 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 09:43:32 pm »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 10:23:50 pm »

Etch can be fabulous stuff. I like the 1:700th scale etched crew figures you can get. The paint thickens them up nicely.

As per usual you are doing lovely work and 'edumacating' us on points of detail on your build. The point you make about the sliding tray is so intersting, and a lovely thing that could be motorised on a larger scale RC model.

Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2017, 01:37:04 am »

thank you kind sir.  Things are moving along nicely now. Installing arresting gear on flight deck. Wind breaks are in as well.  Last flight deck section is being painted.  I often wondered about those PE human figures and never thought that the paint is what adds the 3D effect.  My PE set has one figure, the last Captain (Capt. Frederick C. Sherman).  Now I know how to fit him out.... Thank you!  Yes, the sliding tray would be a novel touch in RC... pretty cool with the dock mates... ehhhh.. check this out!!  :-)   Dennis.   Footnote, in about a week, I will be taking a detour on model projects to build Mantua - Panart Battle Station... fighting cannon section model for an 18th century fighting ship of the line.  This kit is amazing for detail in mostly wood.  I'm doing this as a Christmas gift for a dear friend who is suffering from Parkinsons and has a passion for the old British man-o-war ships.  I will be posting a separate build posting on this sight when things get started.  The Lexington will have to wait a month or two.  Of course, a number of you folks have more than one project going at the same time.   Cheers!

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2017, 10:10:24 pm »

Arresting gear  on the forward portion of the flightdeck have been mounted, as well as the Windbreak.  I chose to show the windbreak in the raised position.  I am working on the aft flight deck section this weekend, installing safety netting.  I will begin a new project on Monday next week, as a separate post, which I will do now.  I'm still here, just changing venues for a month or two.  Cheers... Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2017, 10:10:51 pm »

more.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2017, 03:09:26 pm »

Forward deck????? {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

did they land aircraft aimed directly at the ships bow, normal convention was and is to land with the ships direction of travel, as this would be contrary to normal practice
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2017, 05:02:01 pm »

Good observation sir.  What they did do was offer the ability to land either at the bow or at the stern depending on damage to either end or not.  If the stern was damaged to prevent landing, they put the ship in reverse and landed at the bow.  Hence the arresting cables are reversed bow and stern as to how they are rigged in their respective sheves.  Something I need to check out is if they retracted the arresting cables completely when launching aircraft or did they roll over the cables laying flat on deck.  I'll have to get back to you on that one.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2017, 04:12:23 am »

As an addendum, this note from Gold Medal Models PE upscale set.  Historical note: when Lexington's forward flight deck was widened in 1936, she was fitted with 8 arresting gear pendants forward of the palisades in addition to eight pendants and four barricades aft.  This gave the ship the ability to launch and recover her aircraft while steaming astern in the event her aft flight deck were damaged in battle. (re. "The lexington Class Carriers" by Robert C. Stern, copywrite 1993 Naval Instiute Press, Annapolis, MD 21202 USA, pg. 114.).  Have to admit, I tried to find backup on the internet as I do not recall "ever" hearing of any aircraft carrier "steaming astern" due to battle damage in order to recover aircraft.  But, it sure made good sense to me, so I have dutifully included such arresting gear on my model.  As a footnote, I did serve aboard the USS Ranger CVA-61 in 1970 as a Radioman 2nd class petty officer, just prior to my discharge from the US Navy.  We always went in the "forward direction" :-))  Dennnis

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2017, 07:15:07 am »

Dennis,

Coming on a real treat, hope your on the mend.

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2017, 05:43:29 pm »

Thank you Rich, I continue to be well and come awake every morning.  A real blessing, let me tell ya..... O0  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2017, 09:43:53 pm »

Good to hear it Dennis. Your Build logs are always very informative. I have learnt lots since you started.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2017, 05:45:38 am »

Ok, back in the saddle with the Lexington.  I wanted to show some detail that only I will know about and now you folks get to know too.. yippie!  My PE upscale kit proivdes bridge detail to be included in the model.  The Lexington did not have a steering wheel, but was controlled with a lever action much the same as a trolly car.  The pieces are so small that it was difficult to photograph clearly enough, but they are there none-the-less.  All to be incased in the bridge structure, so that unless you are looking very closely through one of the windows, you would not see them.  So there.. no you know.... secret is out! ;)   Dennis

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2017, 01:22:22 am »

I believe that all US carriers up to and including USS Yorktown CV-10 (Essex Class) were designed and equipped to allow for over the bow landings with the ship running astern. See the attached photo. As well, these carriers, from Wasp thru the second Yorktown (CV-10) were equipped with a hanger deck catapult that launched aircraft laterally.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2017, 01:40:33 am »

Forward Island is completed and installed.  Hmmmm, just something un-natural about landing from the bow with the ship moving astern.. that is proof they did it.. tks for posting picture.  Dennis

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2017, 12:44:56 pm »

I believe the photo was of Yorktown during shakedown. Great build, Your Opti-Visor must be putting in overtime.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2017, 08:54:09 pm »

The crash barrier alone is a work of etched art, even from this distance!
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.