Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Lexington CV-2  (Read 15431 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Lexington CV-2
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2017, 02:11:58 am »

I always try to do something different with my models.  This time, the idea came across to have one of those F4F's with gear up scream down the length of the flight deck at about 40ft.  Now, I do not know for certain that those WW2 pilots pulled a "Top Gun" prank in front of the captain, but I would like to think that it might have happened and I don't recall ever seeing one done on a static model. But, of course there is nothing new under the sun and I'm sure I'm not the first. So, I'm going to do it.  Still waiting for my decals to finish things off, but here is the aircraft, resting on the flight deck, prop spinning and gear up.  I will mount the bird on a thin wire, which will be strong enough to hold it up there and difficult to see at this scale.  I'll be sure to post as soon as that is accomplished. Dennis :o

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2017, 03:40:22 pm »

I reckon the pilot would have been grounded for less unless sanctioned for a publicity shoot perhaps for recruiting. If it crashed and put the flight deck out of action for even a few minutes this would be serious. If you had a few figures looking like press photographers then it would make a little story!
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2017, 05:23:29 pm »

I believe that American ships were more disciplinarian than their RN counterparts but flying at 40ft perhaps would have gotten him to buy some drinks or a minor charge on his record in the RN but there are plenty of pilots in the air force and navy who got away for flying lower and perhaps more 'reckless' than a fast fly-by. Perhaps the biggest difference may have been the fact that RN carriers had armoured decks and their USN cousins didn't.
After the war when jets became the norm all forces became very self aware with flight safety due to the higher speeds and the more explosive fuel!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2017, 06:06:29 pm »

It would be a serious rule breaker, of that, I am certain.  I could have the model flying just off to the side of the flight deck, over water and maybe get a similar effect  D.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2017, 05:21:58 am »

Penguins indeed!  The "farm" is growing.  Four more aircraft to build from the kit and then its order more to fill the deck if I want to.  I believe they had most of the squad up on deck prior to launch, the carrier deck was pretty clear for the return of the "flight" for landing, rest below. But, I think for cruising, the carrier deck was mostly clear of aircraft. What comes to mind is the USS Hornet when she was loaded at all times during transit and prior to launch with B-25 Bomber for Tokyo raid... what a sight that must have been. The Hornet is on my bucket list to build along the way depicting her just before that raid... there is a ton of kit and enhancement kits avail for that build, either in 1/200 or 1/350.  I'm thinking about doing the 1/350 scale to try to keep the model size under control.  Question: what am I going to do with all of the carrier models.  I had a thought about contacting our local museum here in Bellingham, Wash. to see if they would be interested in doing a historical display?  As it is, I have cases of models on shelves stacking up my walls in this room and where ever else my dear wife will let me display them in the house.  Can't help it, its a sickness I think, but I'm sure having fun doing it.  Lancaster's Maritime Museum.... ;)  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2017, 05:22:58 am »

more.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2017, 08:16:41 am »

40 ft over the deck could be a wave off rather than a top gunner.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2017, 02:21:42 pm »

I could take her down in a steep dive, pull up and level at 25ft and scream across the deck at full throttle, contrails coming off the wing tips, pull her up after I pass the bow and the a nice Victory Roll to finish her off.  Yea, your probably right, I'd just get a wave off with brig time after...... D. :o

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2017, 02:45:29 pm »

Have you room in your garden for a 'Carrier viewing shed' Dennis? Line it well for insulation and make sure there are many shelves for your collection plus those yet to be built, and have room for a comfy chair and a beer fridge for when you are looking at your hard work.

Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2017, 02:56:33 pm »

I do have my dear wife's "greenhouse" in the back yard.  It would have to be insulated well and heated, what with temps we have encountered over the past few days.  Just had a nice ice storm hit the North county last night.  Strangest weather I've seen in a long time... walk out into an ice storm, everything is covered in ice, drive less than a mile away and its a warm 54 deg wind and rain.... crazy stuff.  Sri, getting off track... carrier models at 1/350 scale yield a case size that is over 30" most often.  I can barily handle this scale, 1/700 would be beyond my ability to build.. don't know how folks do it.  I have sold a few and given  some away as gifts.  I know I'm not the only one who is a prolific model maker.  I'd be curious to know what others do with what they build.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:50 pm »

working on the last of the kit aircraft.  This one is the TBD Devastator.  Interesting bomber.  When first introduced, she was the most advanced naval aircraft at the time (1934 I think).... unfortunately, she did not bod well in combat.  They lost many of her in the battle of midway... more to her performance and bad torpedo design.  I really like the design of this aircraft and would like to build a 1:48 scale kit model.  Lots of interesting details.  Which got me to thinking that it would be fun to build a 1:48 scale model of each of the different aircraft used on the carriers that I am building...  talk about madness  {:-{ ... but at least they don't take up much room 222mm.  I'm hopeless.  Here are a few shots.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2018, 09:33:27 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2018, 09:36:00 pm »

The last picture is of 3 Dauntless SBD-2 and one Devastator TBD.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2018, 09:40:06 pm »

They didn't arf pack the planes in didn't they! I like all your aircraft Dennis. I salute your patience in making many of the same machines.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2018, 10:44:32 pm »

Tks.... its been fun.  I shoulda mentioned that the aircraft are just randomly sitting on the deck in no particular order.  I need to study the best way to present when I'm ready to glue them down.  I am still waiting for my decals.  The kit decals were bad, I ordered an after-market set and they could not provide what I needed, so I've ordered again from another outfit, they are on their way Priority Mail.  I need those decals to finish up.  Also, I'm considering adding some of the antenna rigging, but not all... hard to see at this scale.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2018, 04:17:22 am »

Ok, here is my F4F screaming over the flight deck.  As decals are finally going on and rigging is done on the carrier... or as far as I'm going to take it at this scale.  Model is in the final phase now, soon I'll be mounting her and installing in case and moving onto my next project, which is the USS Ranger CV-4. Oh the joy! :-)   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2018, 04:18:13 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2018, 04:19:01 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2018, 06:49:27 pm »

Gentlemen,  The model is finished.  Just need to insert the glass and enclose the case.  Onward to the USS Ranger CV-4.  Cheers  ok2  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2018, 06:49:59 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2018, 06:50:31 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2018, 06:50:58 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2018, 06:51:25 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2018, 06:51:56 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2018, 06:52:39 pm »

more.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.