Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Lexington CV-2  (Read 15433 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Lexington CV-2
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2017, 09:07:17 pm »

Intially, I thought it was crash barrier of sorts, but then found out that it was called a Palisades (Windbreak).  Historically were used to protect early, lightweight aircraft from  high winds when they were stowed on the flight deck and the ship was steaming at high speeds. (taken from Gold Medal Models, Loren Perry)  Yes, the PE is amazingly small and delicate.  I had the choice of have it laying flat or with the "fingers" in the "up" position.  I chose the latter for visual interest.  I am discovering the the PE upscale kit is a real plus and well worth the cost. Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2017, 07:52:38 pm »

This is a great example of the kind of detail that Photo-etch provides.  I'm making 9 of these 20mm Oerlikon anti-aircraft guns.  PE is providing a new gun shield, a gun sight, shoulder rests and adjusting wheel.  Pretty delicate work that takes alot of time and a steady hand.  Still loads of fun.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2017, 09:52:43 pm »

Assuming those squares on your cutting board are half inch, then that work is on a par with a watchmaker for delicacy.

Interesting about the wind break Dennis, I didn't think of the wind issues on early aircraft.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 03:35:10 am »

Me neither, guess it was a problem early on.  They even used the perimeter netting as wind breaks, as they could be raised and lowered.  I am showing some of the nets to be in the 90 deg raised position.  I met my match in part size when I installed oars onto the life rafts.  The oars had to be "nipped" out of my PE sheet and I could just hardly see them even with my magnify loop.  In fact, I can hardly see them on the life rafts.  So, why did I do it.... I dunno.  Working now on the aft island/funnel stack... tons of detail on that beast.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2017, 03:18:33 am »

This is about as small as the PE parts get.  I've given a good reference so you can get an idea of size... thats the tip of a #11 xacto blade.  The part is the handle and gun sight for a 50 cal. AA gun.  The part is as it comes off the PE sheet.  the target is folded 90 degs before mounting to the gun.  The gun has the part mounted. Only have to make 12 of these babies for this application.  Steady as she goes.   ;)  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 11:30:59 pm »

Delicate isn't the word Dennis  :-)
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2017, 08:33:07 pm »

Screws are mounted at last.  The plastic ones supplied in the kit were ok, but incorrectly 4 bladed.  The Lexi had 3 blades.  My upscale kit provided PE blades, but I found impossible to work with as they were way too thin and did not fit my shafts and I destroyed two attempting to drill out a larger center hole.  I scrapped that idea, went on-line and found some nice lost wax cast brass screws from a company called G-Factor Models (gfactormodels@aol.com) at 1/350.  Nice quality, but difficult to dismount from the sprue... delicate filing did the trick.  They are correct in left and right hand pitch.  A little spendy at $23 US including ship.  Worth it in my humble opinion.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 08:33:38 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 08:34:11 pm »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2017, 09:54:22 pm »

How much is a handbag in comparison with a set of these props? I say that you are having fun whilst recovering, so it is money well spent Dennis.

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2017, 10:23:13 pm »

Beautiful, and so tiny.  You are a Master at miniatures Dennis.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2017, 04:45:05 am »

Things are moving along well now.  The aft funnel island is completed and mounted to the deck.  That was sure a massive structure to contain mainly four funnels.  Am amazed at just how many AA guns on that ship... from 5" to .50 cal.  I would think that the Lexi could throw some serious lead into the skys.  I believe history says that she was lost at the battle of Corel Sea. Bombed and torpedoed, she caught fire and could not be saved.  A destroyer was ordered to sink her.  Pretty sad.  She did earn two battle stars and certainly saw action.  As I gaze at the model, her lines are beautiful and unusual.... started as a battle cruiser hull converted to the seccond aircraft carrier for the US Navy in the early 20's.  Yorktown was her sistership.  I am closing in on building aircraft and may have to order more kits as the main kit does not supply much in the way of aircraft for the model.  i ordered a nice wood framed case and brass pedestals to mount.  The USS Ranger is next in the line-up and the kit is waiting over there in the corner.  The paint scheme alone will be stunning if I can pull it off.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2017, 04:45:42 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2017, 04:46:12 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2017, 04:46:40 am »

more.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2017, 05:48:24 am »

Dennis,

Good to see your progress, looking great  %% .

Rich
Regards,

Rich

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2017, 12:50:36 am »

finished the (3) SBD-3 aircraft minus decals.  Turns out the decals that came from the kit are no good.  I ordered a new set from an independent outfit, decided it was not worth the hassle to go through Trumpeter for replacement.  Pesky little buggers.  This 1/350 scale is right on the edge of my ability to see the parts, even with magnification. Age I guess.  I will probably wind up ordering additional aircraft for this model.  Nine that come with the kit is very minimal.  Its another way they make money I suppose.  I have been trying to find out if I can convert a model kit of the USS Independence CVA-62 to my old ship, the USS Ranger CVA-61.  Kits no longer exist, or were even made for the Ranger at 1/350.  I see where the Indepence was produced, but appears that kit has been discontinued.  Since they are both Forrestal Class carriers, built one right after the other, they might be similar enough to just rebadge to get the Ranger.  For that matter, maybe any Forrestal class carrier would work if I can find a kit.  Just curious if any of you folks might know.  Tks, Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2017, 03:54:44 am »

Bearcat with wings folded, coming up aft elevator.  Those life preservers on the aft island are photo etch (little less than 2mm in width).. one of those went "ping" never to be seen again... I hate that.  Still building aircraft and adding railing.  My decal sheet was defective for the aircraft and am waiting still for new ones.  Model is nearly finished.  Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!  Cheers!  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2017, 06:30:39 pm »

The one biggest thing I have learnt about warships is that they are rarely identical. Even if built by the same yard, things we have to consider via research are developments in radar arrays, communications antennae, weapons fit and quantity, improvements in hull shape, variations in deck furniture etc etc etc.

If you are lucky, both ships were fitted out at a time when there was a little stability in technological developments meaning that they wil have been similar.

Anyhow, your CV2 is lovely and can only be better festooned with aircraft!
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2017, 06:51:49 pm »

Yes sir, you bring up a very good point.  I always try to do a little research before and while I am doing a build and if I can find a correction to an error from the kit manufacturer (which there are many).... if I can handle the change, I'll try to do it.  I'm certianly not a rivet counter, but I like to think the model I am building is somewhat accurate.  Take the fore and aft islands for instance, I came across an outfit on-line who is selling a 3D modeled replacement for my kit islands that is supposed to be more accurate. Well, when I compared what they had to the kit, I could not see that much difference, plus, they wanted a ton of money for their product. So, I passed on that one.  I am enjoying and appreciating the Gold Medals upscale kit in PE.... having ladders and railings that look to scale and real is worth the price to me.  And of course, I came across this link: http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=2191&page=7  This gentleman has really gone the extra mile to correct every mistake made by Trumpeter.  I am way past making corrections at this point and am not gong to lose sleep over missing some rivets, but you have to admit, this man has produced one beautiful model of the Lexi.  Making a statemnet that they never folded the wings on the Bearcat is a bit much.  Of course they did, if the aircraft wings could be folded, they folded them.  I chose to paint my cat in dark blue and I know that is wrong, sorry, I just like the look of that aircraft in dark blue.  Gonna have to forgive me.  Most folks won't know the difference.  What can I say.  For all of us, I think we all try to build the best model we can and that is what its all about in my books.  Happy New Year!  Dennis ok2

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2017, 08:43:40 pm »

My ethos, as you know, is: It's your hobby enjoy it how you want to.
Pond weed is your enemy

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2017, 08:51:36 pm »

The aircraft you show is not a Bearcat but a Hellcat. The Hellcats were designed to fold the wings to the rear whle Bearcats folded the outer 1/3 of the wing vertically. (One very unusual feature was that the hing was deliberatly made too weak to take the maximum g load to save weight. Pull too much G in a dogfight and one of your wingtips breaks off, explosive bolts then blow the other wing tip off leaving a much shorter span aircraft. Hopefully the pilot could then fly this back to his carrier where new tips could be bolted on ready for the next dogfight. )

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2017, 10:13:01 pm »

Jim, I humbly stand corrected.  I get confused sometimes.  She is the F4F-4 Grummand Wildcat and did have the wings that twisted and folded back.  I have chosen to show one with folded wings taking an elevator ride up from her hanger below.  I'm also aware that the British Royal Airforce used the Wildcat.  Now, the Bearcat F6F was a different beast entirely.  I was fortunate enough to be close up and personal to one here at our local flight museum in Bellingham, Washington.  She was sold to some Microsoft exec. a number of years ago.  Our museum found it too costly to carry the insurance required to fly her.  So many wonderful WW2 fighter aircraft on all sides.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2017, 10:20:07 pm »

See, Ii told you I get confused easily.  So sri about that.  The F6F is the Hellcat, the F4F is the Wildcat, the F8F is the Bearcat.  Just too many "cats".. yikes! :embarrassed:  Dennis

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2017, 12:25:14 pm »

I have seen all of the Grumman Cats fly at various Duxford Flying legends displays. On several occasions they flew the Wildcat, Hellcat and Tigercat in a formation display. The Bearcat was the final solo display for several years and always gave a spirited show (needless to say the breakoff wing tips were disabled). This display was while the final Balbo formation of all of the aircraft they could put in the air was getting ready. I think the  best Balbo I saw was 26 single and twin engined aircraft flying over in formation.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.