Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Lexington CV-2  (Read 15490 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Lexington CV-2
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2018, 06:53:16 pm »

more.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2018, 07:05:47 pm »

Looks beautiful.  Excellent craftsmanship, and at such a tiny scale too   :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2018, 07:48:16 pm »

Another stunning chapter in the development of naval aviation. She's beautiful Dennis, I cannot wait to see CV4 on the go  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2018, 09:08:07 pm »

Hi Denice,
 Lovely job!

Question: do you know why the Lexington class smoke stacks was so enormous?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2018, 05:35:32 pm »

Hi Martin, that is a good question and have wondered that myself.  This huge exhaust stack seemed out of place.  The only thing I could find out on her history was that she had 16 boilers providing steam for her electric turbines.  There had to have been alot of stack pipe venting, all going up one side of the ship.  Unlike the USS Ranger CV-4 I am starting, which had her three stacks on each side exiting the upper sides of the flight deck and being able to pivot down while flight ops were in progress.  Not the case with the Lexington. So, they had to hide and streamline those stacks somehow and that's what they did.  Mind you, the Lexi was a converted Battle Cruiser hull to aircraft carrier, where-as the Ranger was built from the keel up as an aircraft carrier.  We are talking an evolutionary process here in ship design and I will talk about and you will see on my next build project how the Ranger, which was in a class all its own, more like the USS Langley in design, but with an Island added later on.  Stay tuned.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2018, 05:55:19 pm »

Another side note.  As I attemped to assemble the case for my model, After  mounting the model to the case base with epoxy!!, to my horror, I soon discovered that the two side panels and top panel of plexiglass were cut oversize on the sides and undersize on the top.  I could trim the side panels myself, but he top panel is lost.  So, I called Amazon for help and I must say, they came through like a champ for me.  They gave me two options: 1. I could return the case and they would provide a new case at no charge, 2. I could have a local shop cut out new panels and send the bill to Amazon and will refund my money for that.  I have chosen the latter to resolve the issue. So, a small delay and the problem is fixed.  Can't beat that!  Dennis :-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2018, 09:46:14 pm »

That is definitly good news Dennis.
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2018, 11:05:08 pm »

Side note about stability & ballast, Wikipeada says:

The ships carried a maximum of 6,688 long tons (6,795 t) of fuel oil, but only 5,400 long tons (5,500 t) of that was usable as the rest had to be retained as ballast in the port fuel tanks to offset the weight of the island and main guns.

... i wonder when they realised that .... about 30 seconds after freeing the mornings?!    ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2018, 01:10:08 am »

Very good point Martin, I did read somewhere about "trim" on the Lexi.  Ballast would have been a main factor, but you would think that they would have known or expected that during the design stage.  I'm thinking it was purely a cosmetic issue, to cover up all those stacks and make her look pretty?? At least they took advantage of that high perch to mount 25, .50cal. AA guns.  Wonder if we will ever know for sure now.  Dennis

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2018, 03:49:13 am »

Any rerecords of her performance in high winds?
 She must have sailed like a square rigger!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.