Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: boiler size  (Read 2039 times)

steam4

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
boiler size
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:00:57 am »

Hi new to steam I am assembling a trv twin engine, The boiler I have been considering is a 3" vertical boiler listed in Paddleducks. would this be big enough to run the engine pushing a 1meter model . If not how big should I go. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
Steam 4

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
Re: boiler size
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 03:50:28 pm »

I use a Saito B2f burner w/TVR and get at least 20min run time on about 350ml. It is not a large volume boiler and a well built broken in TVR twin requires only a little steam at relatively low pressure 15-20 psi.

Being new to steam, I would recommend the

https://www.pmmodelengines.com/shop/steam/steam-engine-8/

Super easy to set up for RC and works great for a 36-45 inch boat. Min boiler requirment is 400-500ml for 20-30min runtime. Pressure best at about 20psi for the V twin.  The TVR is a great kit and well made, but the linkage system can be cumbersome to set up for RC.

pendlesteam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 06:21:15 pm »

Can you please point me to where the boiler is in Paddleducks as I had a look and couldnt see one? To answer your question one firstly needs to know what type of burner it uses, what size the centre flue is and how many cross tubes it employs. The actual size of boiler is just an indication as to how long it is likely to run without running out of water. That said I know that my 3.5" easily powers the TVR triple cylinder as a customer sent me a nice video of it running in his boat so if the boiler is a good-un then size wise it should be fine. Hope this helps.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 07:23:54 pm »

Can you please point me to where the boiler is in Paddleducks as I had a look and couldnt see one? To answer your question one firstly needs to know what type of burner it uses, what size the centre flue is and how many cross tubes it employs. The actual size of boiler is just an indication as to how long it is likely to run without running out of water. That said I know that my 3.5" easily powers the TVR triple cylinder as a customer sent me a nice video of it running in his boat so if the boiler is a good-un then size wise it should be fine. Hope this helps.

When did Graham industries make a TVR Triple engine ? how about a look at your video. ?

George.

steam4

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:28:50 pm »

Hi the boiler  I was referring to was actually in downloads.
homemodelenginemachinist.com
I don't know anything about a triple tvr

pendlesteam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 12:00:52 am »

customer stated it was a tvr triple....looks more like an anton now you mention it...cant post video without permission but i will ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.