Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Nordkap , Fun Build  (Read 14350 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Billings Nordkap , Fun Build
« on: September 08, 2017, 04:49:35 pm »

While waiting for my next project I have been keeping busy with the Nordkap.  Have the hull half planked now and feel I have got over the worst bit of worrying if the planking will be my nemesis. To be honest I found the hull worked out with quite nice planking lines , a minimal amount of trimming of planks and no stealers as yet , getting to the point of coating the inside with resin before I close it up too much. The instructions do leave a lot to the builders imagination and you do need to do quite a bit of forward thinking to avoid ending up the proverbial backwater.  {:-{
 Don't think I will be going the full monty on this one, probably try selling it when I have finished building which for me is the interest
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Nordkap , Fun Build
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 12:19:05 pm »

Looking at it from the pointy end

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 03:07:50 pm »

And a view of the deck , now planked and finished with 2 coats of sanding sealer, need to rub this over with fine steel wool to matt it. Also  need to fit a stooling for the heel of the mast before I close the sides in.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 04:19:47 pm »

A bit of a close up to follow when I can get it to work !

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 04:30:57 pm »

another go.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 11:46:42 pm »

It's coming along very nicely 👍. Nordkap was my first attempt at a plank on frame build and I found it an excellent kit. She sails well and looks good on the water, too.

Peter.

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 09:55:18 pm »

I think nordkap is going to be my next build after my current one I love billings kits and there materials everyone slates them but I haven't really had any problems my current build it was one of the original kits so the wood was tough to get the planking right as it was thinning etc
Great job tho looking forward to seeing more

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:01:20 pm »

A lovely job so far. Great deck planking too.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:32:52 pm »

Yes I really enjoyed my Nordkap build...yours is looking good, lets see it finished :-))

My effort...maybe not my best but...well...I made it O0

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 07:13:04 am »

Morning Baldbrick.

If you like fishing boats billing sell the Cux 87, it's similar to Nordkap, a Geman crab boat, wife bought this one for me shortly after I'd made my Nordkap, I sold it on ebay back in 2005 as I wanted a change of tack, (a fib!)

A quick look in the box and all very familiar in construction...just slightly bigger with large and difficult looking crab nets, I chickened out...and decided nope too hard!

I'd really like to see one built...would be easy to make after Nordkap, not sure about the nets though.

I have some more pics of my bulid but can't find them at the moment, planking was a puzzle at first but with patience and going slowly it turned out resonably passable, filler and paint covers a lot of sins...ahem.

A photo of the box to prove I had it in 'stock'  :D

Lets see more photo's of yours soon.

Regards and go easy :-))

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 05:31:56 pm »

Hi JB.
  You build looks damned good, hope I can emulate it.  My build stalled last month due to the episode of the being sent resin and hardener which turned out to be two bottles of hardener, one mislabeled as resin ( moaned about elsewhere on the forum). The resulting mess, although cleaned up made me change my plans. I had intended to give the hull outside a coat of sanding sealer before priming, but as raw hardener had got on the hull outside I decided to give it two coats of resin/hardener to seal it in.
  I think this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the resin sanded easily and covered all the planking lines leaving a nice smooth finish with very little in the way of spots to rectify.
 So I am now back on track, have just bit the bullet and hacked the holes in the hull for the anchor boxes, gluing them up is a right caper, good old superglue. Just having a long think about which direction to take next, perhaps  the forecastle construction then paint up the main hull.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 09:25:32 pm »

Here's a couple pf photos of my Nordkap. The first one was taken the day I finished her, back in October 2008, and the other at our lake the following year. The fishing had evidently been good. as the deck fish boxes are nearly full :} . She still gets a regular outing at our club days, and goes to several shows a year.

Peter.

T33cno

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 09:58:13 pm »

Beautiful  :-))

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 05:38:56 am »

Two men in white coats are at my front door... Nordkap - Norden...I always get them mixed up, it's my brain I think %%

Thanks anyway Baldrick...At least the colour colour is similar to peter's...!

I'm sure it's just taking time with any build of a model, no matter what type, I go slowly and prepare as much as I can first.

Peter's model shows why we do it...the end result :-)) :-)) :-))

JB. 

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 07:28:57 am »

Here's a couple pf photos of my Nordkap. The first one was taken the day I finished her, back in October 2008, and the other at our lake the following year. The fishing had evidently been good. as the deck fish boxes are nearly full :} . She still gets a regular outing at our club days, and goes to several shows a year.

Peter.

That Peter is the standard of build I am trying to achieve.  If I will make it only time will tell , but it is the hope that drives me forward. :-))

T33cno

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 07:56:41 am »

I wonder if one has ever been found inside a crocodile  %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 10:38:06 pm »

No crocodiles down our way - the sharks ate them all {-)

Peter.

T33cno

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 10:40:28 pm »

{-)  Good old paul hogan

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 05:08:47 pm »

Peter.

Peter I am in a quandary. The plans do not show if the vertical rub strips repeat on the port side of the boat as shown on the starboard. I was assuming they were positioned under the gantries to take the wear from the gear being hauled aboard, but the gantries are only positioned on the starboard . I wonder if they do repeat so that operations could be switched to the other side subject to the work in relocating the gantries. Your thoughts please .
 The other thing is that on browsing other builds on the web I found one where the builder had modified the bottom skeg of the rudder to be demountable. this allowed the rubber and post to be removed. as designed once installed they are captive
see   https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumbgallery.php?t=1014021&do=threadgallery&type=img&group=none&starter=no
(25 row down)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 06:15:33 pm »

Hi Baldrick, I am just refurbishing a Mary Ann , she is near identical in the hull, and the first thing I did was to carefully saw off the rear part of the keel under the rudder. 
The rudder was not right anyway but I prefer to have a pintle locating the bottom of the rudder on a small screwed in section. The rudder looks to have been fitted before planking was done!  However the planking is very good.  So I made a new brass one more like the plans show.

With the rudder removed I could extract the original Billing prop tube (broken fixed prop) and drilled a larger diameter hole and fitted a new one with a 4 BA thread so I could use some lovely brass props that I have in the prop box.
Also the motor grossly overpowered the boat and I fitted a new one allowing just 3 watts for drive power.  I have yet to see if I have got it right!
regards Roy

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 07:43:02 pm »

Hi Roy.
  Thanks , I think i will doctor my models skeg before I paint it , I have already fitted a brass bearing plate for the pintle to engage in.
 I note Billings on their website quote the Mtronics M500 6.0-12.0 V for the Nordkap.

regards Bald's

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 10:00:24 pm »

Baldrick, I just assumed that the rubbing strips were on both sides, and there's sufficient material included, so I put them on both sides. Whether that's prototypically correct I don't know, and no one has ever asked {:-{

Peter.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 05:48:11 am »

Peter .
  many thanks for your reply, sometimes I think I worry about inconsequential things too much. Unlike you I had barely enough material in the kit to do one side so perhaps mine will have one side only. Strange but I was tight on deck planking as well as hull planking, had to eke it out and make sure I did not waste any. Billings must have cut down on spare content.

cheers B

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 10:57:12 pm »

It sounds as if they have cut back, I had quite a lot of planking left over, enough to start my next build. It seems that it's not only governments that are making cuts %)

Peter.

missyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 04:52:01 pm »

Just love the color and the trawler itself .....  :-))
Cheers
Danielle

All lost pictures of the N. Loredana ---> visit the following link:
https://nuovaloredana.imgur.com/all/
All pictures can be found on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/fvcorneliamarie
https://www.facebook.com/MpNuovaLoredana/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.